Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom trouble naturally

• 19-12-2009 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

Just wondering, is anyones eircom broadband in the south county dub area acting up (more than it usally does of course) for the past 2 or 3 days?

My modem can't seem to stay connected at all the internet for longer than a few minutes at a time , rendering it nearly useless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

Ok still having trouble now, but the lack of replies suggests im the only one,
    Ive checked everthing and determined that the problem is either the netopia router heating issue ive heard about or its all an eircoms end, either way it results in my connection dropping constanly and an opendns updater program moaning at me every moment about my ip having changed again.

does anyone know where i can find a number or an email address to directly contact eircom?,their support page only seems to want to tell me how to read an ssid off a sticker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What's your DSL line statistics?

They're found on your router's webpage at 192.168.1.254 (assuming it's a netopia)

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1120 384
    SN Margin (dB) 3.50 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 46.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 83 3

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1120 384
    SN Margin (dB) 3.50 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 46.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 102 4

yeh its netopia, i wasn't aware they use any other routers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

if you have that many crc errors then there is a problem somewhere - did you phone up eircom line support and ask them to test your line ?

my 5mb/7mb connection dropped to 1.5mb - called the eircom broadband people up (number on their site) and they got me to disconnect sky and it shot back up.
    i asked whether my router should be showing 5mb rather than 7 and they said that that was a mistake that an engineer must have dropped the speed to test it and never brought it back up ! grrr :)

are you on a 1meg line or is it meant to be more ? (Downstream Upstream - Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1120 384)

yeh im pretty sure its meant to be a one meg, though ill try checking again, no havent phoned up line support, you wouldnt know their number by any chance would you?

Ntl done a huge thing over the the past month that i could only describe as an 'operation' of fitting cable broadband in my neighbourhood and the many nearby ones..... and now im just remembering they had to put some of it on my house to hook the rest of the nieghbourhood up maybe they damaged the eircom line?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your snr is absolutely disastrous and your are lucky to be getting any bb at all with it that low.

Have you anything else connected to your telephone line?

A phone watch alarm and a cordless phone both of which im aware already cause me huge trouble when they're being used (line filters seem to be quite useless):cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hunty

Yeh I've had the same problem. I've asked a few people who are with Eircom and they have too so its a problem on their end!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you tell Eircom you had phonewatch or did you just install it yourself?

Got phonewatch after we got broadband, the guy installing phone watch didnt seem to think there would be a problem as for the broadband itself , the was just delivered by post and i installed that was few years ago though and one of the older blue netopia modems which worked better for a while.

• Advertisement

Remember, a line only disconnects in theory at the moment it hits 0 dB signal margin. But instability easily exists at 3 dB because of the way signal margin can fluctuate over even 3 dB in a matter of milliseconds (e.g the instant a dirty switch tries to close a circuit nearby, like with thermostats)

That line sounds faulty or else there's some serious electrical interference messing with your line. I'm not sure if eircom could or would do anything about it. If you want higher speeds than 1 mbps and eircom won't do anything about it, then look to UPC I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

If it's disconnecting that often go to your modem page (open Internet Explorer & type in address bar -192.168.1.254).

Expert mode (click yes to enter)
    Configure (left hand side menu)
    Connection (will show when you click configure)

Change your connection type to always on
    Save changes.

See if that helps. Could be timing out

See also if you get a red internet light when it drops.

If it doesn't, call 1890 260 260

:)

kurisu wrote: »
    Got phonewatch after we got broadband, the guy installing phone watch didnt seem to think there would be a problem as for the broadband itself , the was just delivered by post and i installed that was few years ago though and one of the older blue netopia modems which worked better for a while.

They broke their own installation procedures if so. You should call them to tell them to do the job they should have done so that you can use the internet properly.

I've seen phonewatch installs in houses that were only passed for broadband 2 years later, which were still installed with the master socket DSL filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

They broke their own installation procedures if so. You should call them to tell them to do the job they should have done so that you can use the internet properly.

I've seen phonewatch installs in houses that were only passed for broadband 2 years later, which were still installed with the master socket DSL filter.

You may be misinformed. As of mid this year, they have been using a wireless solution for the alarms so no filtered sockets needed. So If the OP had it installed around that time that may be the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

i got phonewatch a few weeks ago and my sync dropped from 22mb to 7mb disconnecting every 30mins.
    if the problem started after you got the phonewatch contact them to confirm it is filtered because they are not by default. the filter i had installed is right beside the alarm panel and looks like a phone socket with the hole in it

Baneblade wrote: »
    i got phonewatch a few weeks ago and my sync dropped from 22mb to 7mb disconnecting every 30mins.
    if the problem started after you got the phonewatch contact them to confirm it is filtered because they are not by default. the filter i had installed is right beside the alarm panel and looks like a phone socket with the hole in it
    Why would they not use the fitered socket by default, when the customer clearly has DSL? Especially of the ADSL2+ variety, where signal margin is what sets the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

i was not there when it was installed so not sure how aware they were about the broadband, but there was a dsl splitter connected to the socket they wired the alarm into so they must have saw it, at the time i was not too worried as i thought all the panels were filtered.

main point is dont just assume all the alarm panels are filtered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Baneblade wrote: »
    i was not there when it was installed so not sure how aware they were about the broadband, but there was a dsl splitter connected to the socket they wired the alarm into so they must have saw it, at the time i was not too worried as i thought all the panels were filtered.

main point is dont just assume all the alarm panels are filtered.

Spunds to me like the technician was ignorant as to what he had to do.

Advertisement