Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquakes

Options
  • 19-12-2009 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

How do I link their occurence with plate tectonics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

You could read that in the book, or a quick google. Dont be so lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

theres **** all in the book.

anyway heres the start of my essay, now where could i go from here to get a full 30 marker?

An earthquake is the result of a suddent release of energy in the earths crust which creates a seismic wave. They are not randomly distributed over the Earth's surface, instead their distribution is closely linked with plate tectonics. Almost all earthquakes occur at plate margins where the plates collide, move apart and slide past each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Don't start talking about the earthquakes. Talk about the theory of plate tectonics first and how it came about. And then move on to how earthquakes occur. Much easier to write that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Yes, I agree - I would talk about the very basics of plate tectonics first - earth has 4 layers etc., different types of plates, different boundaries, proof for movement of plates e.g. sea floor spreading. Then go into where earthquakes occur, what they are etc. Plenty of diagrams can be thrown in too :)

That is in no way relevant to the question. If they wanted to know they they would ask ''Explain your understanding of plate tectonics'' however in this case they are concentrated on why earthquakes occur where they do.

Obviously you would bring up the forces at work, i.e. the moving of the plates but to give a big backstory isn't needed especially when you have like 14 minutes to do a 30 mark question.

• Advertisement

Earthquakes occur where they do because of plate tectonics so it's completely relevant - an essay on them would make no sense without some background information. Obviously it shouldn't take up the whole essay but it definitely needs to be in there.

OK. Just out of curiosity would you say in answer ''First I will examine the basics of plate tectonics......''

Yeah, exactly - something like "To understand how earthquakes occur, we must first understand the basics of plate tectonics" ... Not a lot is needed, just the pure basics. Plus, it's easy enough to learn and can be used as the basis for a lot of Physical Geog. answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

remember shallow focus earthquakes are more catastrophic than deep focus!

Cool sorry for being such a **** before.

• Advertisement

Ok writing here helps me revise so where should I go from here?

This answer will explore the global distribution of earthquakes and how their occurence is linked with plate tectonics.
    In order to understand their relationship, we must first understand the basics of plate tectonics. Plate Tectonics, developed by Alfred Wagner suggest that there are two types of plates, ocean and continential. These huge plates float on a layer of heavier, semi-molten rock underneath called the mantle. The plates are moved by convection currents which cause plates to collide, diverge and slide past each other resulting in the folding and faulting of Earth's crust, volcanic activity and indeed earthquakes.

Now where to go from there?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

One result/occurence/example of plate tectonics are earthquakes.

I'd thrown in a diagram of the earth, just for an extra SRP.

Then yeah, I agree with - "One result/occurrence/example of plate tectonics are earthquakes." etc. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That is in no way relevant to the question. If they wanted to know they they would ask ''Explain your understanding of plate tectonics'' however in this case they are concentrated on why earthquakes occur where they do.

Obviously you would bring up the forces at work, i.e. the moving of the plates but to give a big backstory isn't needed especially when you have like 14 minutes to do a 30 mark question.

You're actually an arsehole. So condescending even though people are only trying to help. And yes, beginning with plate tectonics is completely relevant to the essay!

Advertisement