Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Hull City

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Not at our best again but it is all about the three points.
    Pretty decent performance if you ask me. Maybe I'm comparing it to the other non-Cesc, non-RVP performances too much but I thought the attitude was great and the players all seemed really up for it. Tough tackling in defence and some slick passing going forward.

Not flawless but I'm happy about more than the result tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Frisbee wrote: »
    Diaby really deserved that, he's been brilliant today
    He's done very well in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Vermaelen wants a goal, you can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Unlucky Theo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

unlucky by Walcott. Maybe should have done better.A goal would have done him wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm sorry but rustiness from injury or not Walcott has to be putting those away, absolutely no excuses there.

Not sure if it was unlucky for Theo or more of the same poor finishing tbh.

I hope our club captain comes to the pitch at Full time to congratulate the team on the win.

Theo will come good.

Good ball from Silvestre. Nice to see Ramsey having a go.

• Advertisement

That move deserved a goal, Silvestre did a backheel ffs! :D

Theo will come good.
    I'm not so sure anymore, tbh..another story altogether though.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Theo will come good.

I agree with this. Theo can be frustrating to watch at times but there is something there. He will come of age sooner rather than later imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Great to get the clean sheet too. Good 3 points. Great day all round with United and Liverpool losing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Theo will come good.
    I doubt it. You're either born with a football brain, or not. Jack Wilshere is only 17, but it's clear that he has the instincts to play football at the top level, you just don't see that with Theo.

I doubt it. You're either born with a football brain, or not. Jack Wilshere is only 17, but it's clear that he has the instincts to play football at the top level, you just don't see that with Theo.
    Agreed. Theo has pace and skill here and there but that doesn't mean there's any guarantee that he's going to be a clinical finisher by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I don't think Theo can cut it at the top level. He is still young and may prove me wrong but he has not lived up to 1% of the hype that surrounded him when he signed. How he made it to a world cup is beyond me. I think the physicality of the English league is too much for him. He would definitely be better suited over in Spain.

Delighted for Almunia today, he has had a tough time lately, I have a feeling his family loss might have had an impact on him, the penalty save will do him the world of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Well, 'interesting' is how I'll describe that game.

I think the key decision in the match was Brown's decision to take off Barmby. Yes he was a little hotheaded, but Hull really lost their edge after that and lacked the energy to grind out a result.

Anyway, the game was decided in 3 mins. I think it was a penalty tbh, I know Fagan was looking for it but Silvestre had his arm out. You can't quite see it in the replays whether there really was contact or not, but Bennett was close enough I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Well, regardless, a shocking penalty saw Hull's heads go down, and a moment of brilliance from Diaby saw the life drain from them completely. Contest Over.

Overall, I thought it was a rather uninspiring performance from Arsenal, but it was just what was required to get the result.

Diaby had a good game, I think he has more freedom when Cesc isn't on the pitch but he's our only rampaging midfielder and I really like to see him get behind the lines more.

Eduardo looked brighter than he has done in a while. Shocking miss for the one on one, but the turn that got him in there was absolutely fantastic, it showed the sharpness that makes Eduardo so clinical. I was ready to write him off, but i hope its just a case of getting him a few more games.

And a quick word on Walcott; whatever about the miss, he showed he is a real outlet when he's up for it. He's deadly at latching onto balls in behind the defence and we don't give him enough of that. I'm hopeful we'll see more of that in the near future as he gets more game time.

Anyway, bring on Villa, it'll be a hugely important game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Another very good performance from Song

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Frisbee wrote: »
    And it looks like Diaby is going to be thrown out onto the wing again. I'm actually starting to feel bad for the guy, everyone thinks he's sh*te but that's because he ends up playing out of position half the time.
    He's hardly the only attacking CM at Arsenal who gets played on the flanks though.

Theo is a runner, he needs space or service to do anything, as well as fitness (as all players do). Which is fine by me, as we've enough playmakers who are all about having the ball and do nothing when they don't. Lately he's been rusty and he's had no service or space to run into so it's hardly surprising he's been poor. He was playing well when he was fit last season and there were definate signs of improvement. Comparisons to Wilshere are irrelevant, they're like chalk and cheese. Theo will never have Jack's brain but then Jack will never be able to do things like Theo did in the CL QF against 'Pool or in Zagreb. What Theo can realistically be is an upgrade on Freddie Ljungberg.

Good result. Poor first half performance but dug in, got the goal and played better from then on. Still need Cesc and Bendtner back asap though.

Also, Silvestre had a decent game. The penalty was a bull**** decision.

He's hardly the only attacking CM at Arsenal who gets played on the flanks though.

Yes, but Nasri and Rosicky and the likes all have experience playing on the wings and can do a good job there.

Diaby is an out and out CM

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Don't agree, he's never looked like a CM to me at all. He's like a very poor man's Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

He's a poor mans Andy Townsend, and that's saying something! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just watching the premiership there. McShane chasing shadows for the second and burned for pace for the third. It's beyond me how this hapless clown is getting first team football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Another very good performance from Song

Completely agree. I'm in awe at his consistency since he's taken up his role as holding midfielder.

Big loss when the ACN comes aroiund :(

Advertisement