Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geocaching in Donegal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

actually took this up for a bit in the summer for the craic. found the one in rathmullan and that was it. searched for hours in ard's friary but never had any joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Nice one. I never heard of this even though it seems to have a large following.

The wains would prob enjoy this as a few of the locations are local. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I did it a bit during the summer here in South West Finland and have 18 caches found. But then the SatNav geocaching software I had on my Nokia N95 became available only to paid subscribers. Since then I haven't done anything but hoping to get into it again if I find some freeware for the phone.

Yeah... it's good.... like a treasure hunt with technology.

As you can see from the link, there's a lot to find here. :eek:

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=60.423343486628475&lng=22.202682495117188&zm=11&mt=m

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

hi guys, just learned about Geocaching...
    heres a link to where all the geochaches are in Donegal

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat_ns=1&lat_h=54&lat_mmss=57.052&long_ew=-1&long_h=7&long_mmss=44.392

just go to Geocaching Ireland and register. All you need is a phone with GPS on it.... looks like a bit of craic

Hey Enjoy, there are some excellent caches in Donegal some physically challenging some just feckin difficult to find. Would suggest that you check out http://www.geocachingireland.com and introduce yourself on the fourm there, very nice group of peolpe that will give you all the advice you need to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Me and irish1999 are going to give this a wee go thus afternoon. Got the software for the iPhone. Should be interesting. :)

• Advertisement

Good luck Irish(s) :)

irish1967 wrote: »
    Me and irish1999 are going to give this a wee go thus afternoon. Got the software for the iPhone. Should be interesting. :)
    Good luck Irish.
    Dont forget to join the Geo forum and log yor finds -http://www.geocachingireland.com/

i also used the geocaching software on my nokia n95, very handy to have. if you want an easy one try rathmullen forest., and if you ever find the one in ramelton tell me we searched for about an hour in a confined area and checked everywhere :rolleyes:

inode wrote: »
    i also used the geocaching software on my nokia n95, very handy to have. :rolleyes:

I tried to get this software for my N95 but it is no longer free (now €30 or so.) Does any one know of any free GPS software compatible with my N95?

I'm gonna try for 2 in Ballyshannon today. Irish1999 is all excited about a treasure hunt. Hope he's ready for a good walk. Just tried out the GPS on the geocaching app and it's correct to within a couple of feet.

• Advertisement

the geocaching software i got for my n95 was not free either and i installed the trial but it never asked me to pay for it and it wasnt even cracked it was straight from their site :p

http://www.geocachenavigator.com/NokiaEdition/tabid/225/Default.aspx

Found both. That was excellent craic. I'm a little muddy!! :)!

_45981129_mud_pa.jpg

now all you'll have to do is get this t-shirt :p

2256_87ea.jpeg

irlpic wrote: »
    I tried to get this software for my N95 but it is no longer free (now €30 or so.) Does any one know of any free GPS software compatible with my N95?

Same happened to me. I had software on my N95 and for about 2 months it told me it was stopping its free service and that I would need to become a paid subscriber. Sure enough, it stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭billgates

Anyone doing this around Donegal? Found 3 of them yesterday around Donegal Town. It's a bit of craic :) Would be interested to hear if anyone else doing this around the area on a regular basis. Seems there are lots of them around south and west Donegal. Some mad ones up in the bluestacks!

Yeah found the ones round town here and also the ones in Ballyshannon... young fella loves it... a treasure hunt !!:)
    Tried for one in Lifford too but couldn't find it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭billgates

irish1967 wrote: »
    Yeah found the ones round town here and also the ones in Ballyshannon... young fella loves it... a treasure hunt !!:)
    Tried for one in Lifford too but couldn't find it:(

Hi, a treasure hunt is right! Only really discovered it last week. Unfortunately the long evenings now all winter means wont get out much. Was thinking of putting a few Cache's together for the craic to see what happens, i see they have loads of GeoCoins and TravelBug things for sale through the website, you can track them online as they move from place to place, neat idea. I see on the logbooks yesterday names from all over the world, i was really amazed by that.

Do you know of anyone else around that is into it. Thinking about going up the gap and towards Letterkenny this weekend to find some, seems to be a lot of the same guys that are placing them around Donegal.

Gotta be careful anywhere too public when looking for them though, to avoid looking like a weirdo if ya know what i mean, had an incident of that while emerging from the bushes on the bank walk yesterday afternoon!! :D

Advertisement