Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keys for gunsafe

Options
  • 19-12-2009 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi guys

i was wandering what ye do with the keys to the gunsafe? keep it in the house in a safe spot? have it on your keychain? What about the spare?

I am expecting my licence and first gun soon and haven't found a decent solution to that yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Dont bother.Get a keycode safe or one that recognises your prints.:D
    Seriously,keep them in a place only known to YOU.Everyone has some little stash point or hidey hole in their house that they only know about.So thats where I would suggest.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I got a small keypad safe that i store the keys in. Around €100 will get ya a good one. Handy for storing bolts, valuables etc, aswell.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I just keep them hidden, sure what else can ye do!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The word from my CPO was:

1. Never keep the keys in the house but on your keychain, that way when your out so are the keys.

2. keep the spare set of keys in someone elses house.

clivej wrote: »
    The word from my CPO was:

1. Never keep the keys in the house but on your keychain, that way when your out so are the keys.

Yes to this, but......
    2. keep the spare set of keys in someone elses house.

Hell NO. Potentially giving another person (i don't care if its your mother) access to your firearms. Again hell NO.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ezridax wrote: »
    Hell NO. Potentially giving another person (i don't care if its your mother) access to your firearms. Again hell NO.
    That's actually come up in the UK before - someone was refused a licence because their mother (this was a chap in his 50s and the mother was nearly 80) had access to the key of the gunsafe.

On the other hand, get mugged, lose the gunsafe key if it's on your keychain. Not so great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I keep mine in a seperate small safe with a 5digit code to open it along wtih my bolt & magazine etc!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have the spares in a place where no one will find them. The set I use I keep in my brief case as I ride a motorbike so I can't have too many keys on the chain. At home I bring the case up to the bedroom with me at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

My advice would be not to involve anyone else by giving them access to your keys, do not carry them on your person, and keep them in a place as physically difficult for a thief to come across or gain access to as possible.

Sparks wrote: »
    ........On the other hand, get mugged, lose the gunsafe key if it's on your keychain. Not so great.

There is no perfect solution. Every thing you do carries a degree of risk. As johngalway said all you can do is make it as difficult as humanly possible for any prospective thief to gain access to them and your firearms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

ezridax wrote: »
    Yes to this, but......

Sparks wrote: »
    That's actually come up in the UK before - someone was refused a licence because their mother (this was a chap in his 50s and the mother was nearly 80) had access to the key of the gunsafe.

On the other hand, get mugged, lose the gunsafe key if it's on your keychain. Not so great.
    johngalway wrote: »
    My advice would be not to involve anyone else by giving them access to your keys, do not carry them on your person, and keep them in a place as physically difficult for a thief to come across or gain access to as possible.

My answer to all these replies is Thats what the Crime Pervention Officer told me to do, He did not like the idea of my keeping the gun cabinet keys in another digital key lock safe where I store my ammo and rifle bolts.

Not directed at you clivej. I understand it was the advice given to you. I just would not be comfortable with someone else other than me having access to my firearms (however remote the chance, its still a chance).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If the safe has two keys, it's always good to keep the keys in separate places.

Advertisement