Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some of my posts got deleted, no valid reason given on to why

Options
  • 19-12-2009 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

started this thread a few days back http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055768164 and i posted a link to a particular P.I. thread because i thought it was a troll thread etc, is posting PI links not allowed? where is this such rule? and instead of just snipping the link the mod just deleted whole replies which had alot of other stuff in them too, i didnt even discuss that thread just referenced it etc.

heres what the mod posted http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63575516&postcount=22
    imported_guy, I've deleted your posts. No discussing PI threads. Anyone who does will be getting a ban.

didnt reference any rules etc, and gave ban threats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Have you contacted the moderator via PM to ask why? That's the first step to resolving a dispute.

If you cannot resolve it with the Mod involved, contact the CMod via PM. Only if you cannot resolve it with the CMod will the Admins step in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Have you contacted the moderator via PM to ask why? That's the first step to resolving a dispute.

If you cannot resolve it with the Mod involved, contact the CMod via PM. Only if you cannot resolve it with the CMod will the Admins step in :)
    hmm i reported the post, usually sometimes if you report a post mods get back to you, i'll try contacting via PM thanks, but is there any rule against discussing/posting links of a thread elsewhere on boards/the interwebs?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Sometimes a Mod will - but not always, and they're not under any obligation too. Sometimes it isn't even practical to do it in busier forums.

As for posting links - no site wide rule, but everything has to be taken in context. The Mod is your best bet for a reason :)

the mod hasnt provided a proper answer even after the private message
    Frada wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055768164 in this thread, is there a rule which says i cant discuss threads posted elsewhere in boards/the interweb?

kind regards
    imported_guy

You can't discuss Personal Issues threads anywhere else on Boards, no.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,308 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Links to threads in other forums may be permitted, but there has been a long-standing unwritten rule that links to, or discussion of any threads in PI will be deleted due to the nature of the forum. Had Frada not deleted that post, myself or one of the other PI mods would have requested that it be deleted as soon as we became aware of it.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Links to threads in other forums may be permitted, but there has been a long-standing unwritten rule that links to, or discussion of any threads in PI will be deleted due to the nature of the forum. Had Frada not deleted that post, myself or one of the other PI mods would have requested that it be deleted as soon as we became aware of it.
    well i know boards isnt a democracy or a place to practice free speech but i just think there should be a written rule about it or mods shouldnt threaten people as they please very explicitly, i just think once something is posted on the internet it is available for everyone to see and opinionise about it and reference it as they please.

well i know boards isnt a democracy or a place to practice free speech but i just think there should be a written rule about it or mods shouldnt threaten people as they please very explicitly, i just think once something is posted on the internet it is available for everyone to see and opinionise about it and reference it as they please.

Well that may well be your opinion, but it's not one we hold with here. The PI forum is out of bounds, simple as that. It's a forum where people can seek help with genuine issues. If we allowed linking to it, inevitably it wouldn't be long before other posters started mocking and belittling those who had posted in PI. We are not prepared to allow our posters be put up for public ridicule or have their personal problems discussed all over the site. I'm sorry if you have a problem with that, but it's a policy we will not be changing.

Frada deleted the post and having done so warned others not to link to threads in PI. It was a simple mod instruction, and as such anyone ignoring a mod instruction on any forum, regardless of what it was, could expect some form of sanction.

Well that may well be your opinion, but it's not one we hold with here. The PI forum is out of bounds, simple as that. It's a forum where people can seek help with genuine issues. If we allowed linking to it, inevitably it wouldn't be long before other posters started mocking and belittling those who had posted in PI. We are not prepared to allow our posters be put up for public ridicule or have their personal problems discussed all over the site. I'm sorry if you have a problem with that, but it's a policy we will not be changing.

Frada deleted the post and having done so warned others not to link to threads in PI. It was a simple mod instruction, and as such anyone ignoring a mod instruction on any forum, regardless of what it was, could expect some form of sanction.
    tbh thats not really a valid reason (well its not like you have to give me a valid reason but anyway), maybe i cant post about it here, but whats stopping other people from posting it on other websites? its a public forum, if it was something like a forum which you had to subscribe to etc or had to "apply" to join in like soccer etc, it would be another story, it should atleast be in the charter so it doesnt look you guys are not "Making up the rules as you go along" like enda kenny said :rolleyes:

tbh thats not really a valid reason (well its not like you have to give me a valid reason but anyway)

As far as the PI mods and admins of this site are concerned, it is a valid reason. We have no control over the content of other websites, but on this site that's a rule that's enforced. As regards the charter, would you, or anyone else linking to the forum for that matter, have read the PI charter before linking to a thread? I believe that's highly unlikely, and so it would probably serve little purpose having it there.

That said, it is something that we perhaps should include in our welcome e-mail to new members and I'll raise it with the appropriate parties.

As regards the charter, would you, or anyone else linking to the forum for that matter, have read the PI charter before linking to a thread? I believe that's highly unlikely, and so it would probably serve little purpose having it there.

That said, it is something that we perhaps should include in our welcome e-mail to new members and I'll raise it with the appropriate parties.
    i actully find it a little insulting, i nearly always read the charter if i go to a new forum for the first time, unless i know what it really is about and can utilize my common sense on what the rules should be, how ever i did check the rules before and double checked them after i posted the link of both the after hours and PI.

lets not have laws or rights, its not like you've read the constitution :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

i actully find it a little insulting, i nearly always read the charter if i go to a new forum for the first time, unless i know what it really is about and can utilize my common sense on what the rules should be, how ever i did check the rules before and double checked them after i posted the link of both the after hours and PI.

lets not have laws or rights, its not like you've read the constitution :rolleyes:

Well then you're in the minority, the vast majority of posters will freely admit to rarely reading charters. That said, all are expected to read them and ignorance of the content of a charter is not an acceptable defence when appealing against an infraction or ban.

As regards the constitution, I fail to see how that's relevant here, I'm only concerned with the rule and regulations pertaining to this website. As I've already said, I'll raise the matter and see how we can formalise things, so I really don't know what else you expect me to do short of reinstating your post, which won't be happening.

Advertisement