Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about Texas Hold Em

Options
  • 19-12-2009 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

I was recently playing a game of texas hold em with a few guys from work and i was in the final with another guy(have an idea of the game but by no means would i be an expert_.I won the game but the guy told me afterwards i play the game wrong because after the deal if i didnt like my cards i'd fold (i didn't do this all the time but i had twice as many chips as him)and he said to me that been the chip leader i should see the hand out every time to give him a chance to win back some chips and if i played like that in a pub they be all complaining about that style of play.Im just wondering if there's an unwritten rule about playing like that thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Your friend has a twisted sense of how to play poker. If you have terrible cards there is nothing wrong with folding. In fact, from his point of view the more you fold the better in theory. Do whatever you think makes most sense to you, and if you at any point want to get a bit more serious about the game and thinking about why you should do certain things, then read up on some poker theory.

Until then though, just play your own game, rub his nose in it a bit when you beat him (as long as you are friends and not just acquaintances, otherwise it would be bad) and enjoy playing would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He said you play the game wrong? Funny that, seeing as how you beat him.

At the end of the day, the aim is to win. Why should you give him a chance to win back chips? Besides, if you were playing in a pub and you had blinds, he'd be gradually building up chips if you kept folding. I may be wrong though, not a big poker player myself. But I probably would have done the same as yourself. Play to win, even in friendly games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

lol thats awesome. Never heard that one before!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

5starpool wrote: »
    Your friend has a twisted sense of how to play poker. If you have terrible cards there is nothing wrong with folding. In fact, from his point of view the more you fold the better in theory. Do whatever you think makes most sense to you, and if you at any point want to get a bit more serious about the game and thinking about why you should do certain things, then read up on some poker theory.

Until then though, just play your own game, rub his nose in it a bit when you beat him (as long as you are friends and not just acquaintances, otherwise it would be bad) and enjoy playing would be my advice.

But you can't win if you fold:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

5starpool wrote: »

Thanks for the reply we were playing for big blinds at the time so he was clawing his way back into the game till i got a good hand and cleaned him out.The other guys were telling me the same that i should try and bully him and re-raise him and bluff etc etc but i just kept to my own game to play when i have a good feeling about the cards.Thanks for the tip about reading up on poker theory and for putting my mind at ease

• Advertisement

As I said above, poker is a game that can be played on many levels. If you intend to start playing for more than a small few quid here and there you should put some thought into it to improve your game, otherwise do whatever gives you the most enjoyment out of it. There is no point taking it too seriously when played on a casual fun basis, as this would likely end up ruining these games for you in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

i play the same way on the net. if it's your style, stick to it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

its working so keep doing it . It's your choice to play whatever hands you want

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

mendusa wrote: »
    I was recently playing a game of texas hold em with a few guys from work and i was in the final with another guy(have an idea of the game but by no means would i be an expert_.I won the game but the guy told me afterwards i play the game wrong because after the deal if i didnt like my cards i'd fold (i didn't do this all the time but i had twice as many chips as him)and he said to me that been the chip leader i should see the hand out every time to give him a chance to win back some chips and if i played like that in a pub they be all complaining about that style of play.Im just wondering if there's an unwritten rule about playing like that thanks in advance :)

Yeah cos they're all smashinh players in pub tourns. What a douche bag. Giving someone a chance to win theyre chips back LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

He was chancing his arm..........take no notice, stick to your own game and only change when you feel it's right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

I presume you are talking about heads up play at the end of the tournement.

He's right in one sense that you should be seeing a lot of flops heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

and he said to me that been the chip leader i should see the hand out every time to give him a chance to win back some chips

What sorta nonsense is this? Your objective is to win. That's just crap from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭toHex

Thanks for the reply we were playing for big blinds at the time so he was clawing his way back into the game till i got a good hand and cleaned him out.The other guys were telling me the same that i should try and bully him and re-raise him and bluff etc etc but i just kept to my own game to play when i have a good feeling about the cards.Thanks for the tip about reading up on poker theory and for putting my mind at ease

nicky vs flipper

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

another basic question that I just need cleared

If I have a King and Queen in my hand and the cards on the table are jack, ace and 2. Thats not a straight is it? It stops after the ace and the 2 is seperate.

What if its ace, two, three, four, five, that is a straight right?

Just wondering from a recent casual game this discussion came up over a hand and none of us were experianced enough to actually have the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

JQKA2 is NOT a straight. The straight can't go past the Ace in either direction. Ace can be low (A2345) or high (TJQKA). Obviously a straight doesn't have to involve Ace though and 56789 or 9TJQK is fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

If I have a King and Queen in my hand and the cards on the table are jack, ace and 2. Thats not a straight is it? It stops after the ace and the 2 is seperate.

Just wondering from a recent casual game this discussion came up over a hand and none of us were experianced enough to actually have the answer.

If you were playing deuces wild...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

no its not a straight. dont no wat duces wild means tho? a2345 is a straight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭3DataModem

if i played like that in a pub they be all complaining about that style of play

Possibly, but only if the pub is full of terrible players. Good players (or even mediocre ones) won't complain, they will recognize it as thoughtful play.
    Im just wondering if there's an unwritten rule about playing like that thanks in advance :)

No. The unwritten rule is play however you goddamn want, and win / lose accordingly. If people think you're playing "wrong" they can leave.

Players can complain if you get inordinately lucky, but they shouldn't complain to you!

What the **** is going on in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

What the **** is going on in this thread?

theres people tapping the glass imo.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭DAMO72

How does one get an invite to this game of yours..;):D

DAMO72 wrote: »
    How does one get an invite to this game of yours..;):D

get drunk with my mates and I and crawl back to a friends gaf at 3am and pull out deck of worn cards, run outside to pour a few scoops of gravel into a cup and use the stones as chips (each one worth 50c) and play til dawn and count up the stones at the end and divide the pot accordingly.

:D

like I said casual.

get drunk with my mates and I and crawl back to a friends gaf at 3am and pull out deck of worn cards, run outside to pour a few scoops of gravel into a cup and use the stones as chips (each one worth 50c) and play til dawn and count up the stones at the end and divide the pot accordingly.

like I said casual.

When I read this first I thought your use of the word gravel was some kind of weird drink to get you buckled or something. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭pkaces

like I said casual.

chipleader:D

2295464894_e67be36884.jpg?v=0

pkaces wrote: »
    chipleader:D

2295464894_e67be36884.jpg?v=0

when life gives you gravel you play poker

it is a small tradition from boarding school when we played poker (old 5 card) after lights out, none of us had any money until the weekend so we used gravel as a substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

it is a small tradition from boarding school

I have heard about those...are they true ? Did ye carry out raids on the larders ? (food stores, not the fat boarders) although, if the latter, stick it in spoilers please...:pac:

I have heard about those...are they true ? Did ye carry out raids on the larders ?

I'm not from the 19th century...we didnt raid the larders god!

no we had pizza runs. Ordered Pizza to the school gates then its through the tunnel, under the fence, over the wall, avoid the patrols, pay the delivery man and back again.

3 boys sent to carry the dreams and wishes of the stomachs of 30 men waiting in the dorm.

Course I ended that tradition by simply bribing the teacher on duty to do it for us every thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

Who actually votes these threads 5 stars? Wasted 2 minutes of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

I'm not from the 19th century...we didnt raid the larders god!

no we had pizza runs. Ordered Pizza to the school gates then its through the tunnel, under the fence, over the wall, avoid the patrols, pay the delivery man and back again.

3 boys sent to carry the dreams and wishes of the stomachs of 30 men waiting in the dorm.

Course I ended that tradition by simply bribing the teacher on duty to do it for us every thursday.

i didn't know there was a facial hair and hats forum??? i have some facial hair.. light splatterings of it.. but i dont really wear hats.. i wanna get into wearing hats however.. i think it is a great combo.. any threads you can recommend or link me to on that forum?? thanks for listening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

flushje wrote: »
    Who actually votes these threads 5 stars? Wasted 2 minutes of my life
    rating_5.gif

Advertisement