Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Digital My Passport Essential Installation Problems

• 19-12-2009 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a Western Digital My Passport Essentials(500GB) the other day and have only come round to try and using it. But, having some issues and getting cheesed off...need some boards.ie support!

I'm running Windows Vista on a dell studio laptop.Can give more info of system if needed...

Tried their website, but says that all drivers for it should be on Vista...but when I connect the drive, it is not recognised, does not appear under My computer either.

Any ideas? Thought these things were meant to be plug and play...disappointing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

I would try it on another PC if possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Try connecting it to a different USB port. Is it a pc or a laptop? If its a pc make sure to connect it to one of the USB ports on the motherboard at the back of the machine rather than a front usb port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Where did you buy it OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

gerryR wrote: »
    I would try it on another PC if possible?

tried it on a machine running windows xp, still same problem.
    mbroaders wrote: »
    Try connecting it to a different USB port. Is it a pc or a laptop? If its a pc make sure to connect it to one of the USB ports on the motherboard at the back of the machine rather than a front usb port.

its on a laptop I have it, and have tried all ports, also tried it on all ports, as well as those off motherboard on an xp running pc, still not recognised...
    RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Where did you buy it OP?

bought off pixmania.ie, I see same on komplett.ie.

thinking now of just sending it back, seen a couple of forum posts about this on other sites since and seem to be buggy. one saying that it miten't be supported by 64bit vista...doesn't explain why it didn't run on the xp pc though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Have one myself, no drivers required and are generally rock solid. Have mine on 64 bit Windows 7. Call WD support, they are generally excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

JDxtra wrote: »
    Have one myself, no drivers required and are generally rock solid. Have mine on 64 bit Windows 7. Call WD support, they are generally excellent.

Is that on a laptop? will contact the support. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

You shouldn't have any problems using a recent drive like the passport on Vista/Windows7 x64

I had a similar issue with mine recently actually. Maybe plug it in and go into computer management (right click on my computer, manage) then go into device manager. Looks for an unrecognised device here, right click on it and choose uninstall, then unplug the drive and plug it back in.

Doesn't explain why it isn't recognised in XP though, I'd say maybe just get in touch with support as already suggested...

Advertisement