Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What constitutes a Football Legend?

• 19-12-2009 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

A point I brought up in the Champions League Draw thread got me thinking about this... I pondered if Beckham would get the ovation he clearly deserves from the United fans when he returns to Old Trafford with AC Milan, as he's clearly a United legend.

I would have though that Michael Owen would have got a similar reaction when he played at Anfield this season, but that wasn't the case.

So that lead me to think.. what does constitute a legend for your club and what would they have to do to change your opinion of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

long, loyal servant to a club...
    doing great things on a consistent basis for years...
    doing important things in single matches, like scoring the winner int he man city derby! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Its impossible to say to be honest, considering a legend can become an enemy in a second, ala Henry and to some Michael Owen. Obviously tact and respect are the 2 major attributes, usually accompanied by either exceptional football skills or workrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Eric Cantona.. 'nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Don't sign for the local rival
    Sol Campbell was a legend at Spurs, one seaon later he took incredible abuse from his once loyal supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

mink_man wrote: »

+1

Perry Groves wasn't the best of payers, but is hugely loved by Arsenal fans.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Loyal servant who plays like he would die for the club.

mikemac wrote: »
    Don't sign for the local rival
    Sol Campbell was a legend at Spurs, one seaon later he took incredible abuse from his once loyal supporters.
    Peter Schmeichel managed to do just that and wasn't vilified...

its like that cult hero thing that they do on sky sports..

maybe not the best player but the most loved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

doing great things on a consistent basis for years...
    doing important things in single matches, like scoring the winner int he man city derby! ;)

Good points. I was thinking about Ranaldo & if he'd qualify as a Utd legend, and personally I wouldn't rate him as one. There's no doubt that he's an exceptional footballer with some amazing skills, helped Utd to win several trophies & scored mant important match winners, but was he ever loyal to the club? Possibly for a season or two, but in the last few, his only loyalties seemed to be to himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Red Storm wrote: »

That's true though with tens of thousands of professional footballers you can find an example for anything realy

maybe not the best player but the most loved

This sums it up for me. You don't have to be the most skilful or talented player but if you give your all and do anything for your club, people will recognize this

• Advertisement

On the subject of Arsenal players, Tony Adams is most definately a legend.. And i'm a die-hard United fan, the man is just a cut above..

Schmeichel was such an undisputed legend for Utd, that in order to be villified, he'd have to have murdered Alex Ferguson for that to happen!!

Also, he did go to City via 2 other clubs, so there was a bit of space between the move to the local rivals. The same applies to Owen - I don't remember him getting booed by Pool fans when he played for Newcastle, so maybe the move was one step too far. Either way, I still think the boo-ing was pathetic. He deserved more respect than that. You can understand the likes of Tevez being booed by Utd fans, but he was just a money hungry blow-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

On the subject of Arsenal players, Tony Adams is most definately a legend.. And i'm a die-hard United fan, the man is just a cut above..
    Along with Lee Dixon, Martin Keown, Steve Bould and Nigel Winterburn.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Nigel Winerburn.

Who? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Paolo Maldini!

Seaneh wrote: »
    Paolo Maldini!

25 years of loyal & excellent service at AC, cannot be disputed in any way, shape or form!

Who? ;)
    You is quick.

You is quick.

And you're not as eagle-eyed as your name would suggest. ;)

get a room :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

DSB wrote: »
    Its impossible to say to be honest, considering a legend can become an enemy in a second, ala Henry and to some Michael Owen.

?

Can't think of any Arsenal fans that view Henry as an enemy...

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    ?

Can't think of any Arsenal fans that view Henry as an enemy...

Or any real football fans of any club.

Along with Lee Dixon, Martin Keown, Steve Bould and Nigel Winterburn.

I'd put Dave Seaman and Ian Wright onto that list aswell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

a nice floppy hairdo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Robbie Fowler was the player i admired the most at liverpool over the last 15 years. Complete legend and loved the club unlike that ***boy Owen.

For United, Premiership era, I'd list...

- Giggs
    - Scholes
    - Keane
    - Beckham
    - Schmeichel
    - Solksjaer
    - Gary Neville
    - Irwin
    - Cantona
    - Bruce

I'm sure there's a few I've left out.

For United, Premiership era, I'd list...

- Giggs
    - Scholes
    - Keane
    - Beckham
    - Schmeichel
    - Solksjaer
    - Gary Neville
    - Irwin
    - Cantona
    - Bruce

I'm sure there's a few I've left out.
    stick Mark Hughes in there and its perfect

edit: and Bryan Robson

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Robbie Fowler was the player http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=63577452i admired the most at liverpool over the last 15 years. Complete legend and loved the club unlike that ***boy Owen.

Owen signed for Liverpool at 16, played for them for 9 years, turned in 297 appearances & scored 158 goals & you still call him a ***boy?!?!?????

If his record doesn't make him a Liverpool legend, I don't know what does.

Or any real football fans of any club.

You being an Irish Man Utd fan, I'm going to take your opinion on what a real football fan is with a pinch of salt.

Owen signed for Liverpool at 16, played for them for 9 years, turned in 297 appearances & scored 158 goals & you still call him a ***boy?!?!?????

Understanding the culture of the club would be a start.

• Advertisement

You being an Irish Man Utd fan, I'm going to take your opinion on what a real football fan is with a pinch of salt.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Understanding the culture of the club would be a start.

Please explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Just read the sign

Greatness is created on and off the field of play. Ask a selection of real Liverpool supporters what they think of Owen,or Mancs what they think of Ince,or Spurs fans of Campbell,Barca fans of Figo etc...

I'd completely agree, I'm not an Arsenal fan personally. I just pointed out the other regular members of that Arsenal defense which by itself is a legendary outfit with the George Graham 'Thou shalt not pass' motto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Zidane for France: one them their first ever world cup, then guided them to Euro 2000. Then guided them to the final of WC 2006 and got sent off.

Thats how I say it runs in France anyways.

• Advertisement

Would anyone consider Robbie Keane an Ireland legend. I know his record is exceptional, but he annoys the hell out me - I still can't forgive him for those goal celebrations he used to do.

Owen left them when he was 25 years of age and in his prime, he wanted out and he got out. I wouldn't consider him a Liverpool legend. Stats don't make you a legend.

To be fair, you know exactly what, so lets not open a massive debate on an unrelated thread.
    Please explain.
    If you play for Liverpool, and want to be remembered in a positive manner, you don't join Man United, thats really as simple as it gets. If you play for Celtic, you don't join Rangers. If you play for Barcelona, you don't join Real and so on. This is the culture of a football club. To some it may seem silly, but those involved it makes perfect sense.

Would anyone consider Robbie Keane an Ireland legend. I know his record is exceptional, but he annoys the hell out me - I still can't forgive him for those goal celebrations he used to do.

I wouldn't even put this up for debate, together with Paul McGrath, he is probably the definitive Ireland legend. The chap bleeds green.

Yes he is although he can't really sign for England can he.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Would have been a legend but for 3 things.

1 Holding the club to ransom and not signing a new contract forcing the club to sell him for a knock down price

2 Turn Liverpool down a year later to go to Newcastle for a bigger pay packet

3 Signing for Man Utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Paul McGrath....better known for his exploits with Villa and Ireland than my own club, but Jesus Christ, for a fella that basically didnt have any knees, he did a fine job of keeping Irelands goals against record down over the years.

I have long prayed for the day when we have the next McGrath playing in the green of Ireland. Alas, it aint Paul McShane :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Would have been a legend but for 3 things.

1 Holding the club to ransom and not signing a new contract forcing the club to sell him for a knock down price

2 Turn Liverpool down a year later to go to Newcastle for a bigger pay packet

3 Signing for Man Utd

Okay I'm not exactly sure how true all of the above are as I have kind of fallen out of supporting Liverpool the past few years, however if that middle one is true about him turning them down for Newcastle then fair enough I can see why some do not consider him a legend.

But otherwise, I cannot see how its even debatable. His record was nothing short of fantastic for the club, and the fact that he played and performed so well for what would have been his childhood enemy (Everton fan yes?) must be respected IMO. While he was at the club he done a great job and as far as I know he was never disrespectful towards them after he left. On top of this he scored several vital goals for the club, including that FA Cup final where he literally won the game single handedly. Personally I would consider Owen a legend, but thats my own opinion and if others dont agree then fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Okay I'm not exactly sure how true all of the above are as I have kind of fallen out of supporting Liverpool the past few years, however if that middle one is true about him turning them down for Newcastle then fair enough I can see why some do not consider him a legend.

But otherwise, I cannot see how its even debatable. His record was nothing short of fantastic for the club, and the fact that he played and performed so well for what would have been his childhood enemy (Everton fan yes?) must be respected IMO. While he was at the club he done a great job and as far as I know he was never disrespectful towards them after he left. On top of this he scored several vital goals for the club, including that FA Cup final where he literally won the game single handedly. Personally I would consider Owen a legend, but thats my own opinion and if others dont agree then fair enough.

Carragher and Sami beats him hands down.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

I can't believe Dennis Bergkamp hasn't been mentioned yet. A legend for club and country built not only on long and loyal service but also singular legendary acts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exlBHTyB1R0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ryan Giggs, others have come and gone but the old Master is still at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Costacurta is great example. Always over-shadowed by either Maldini,Baresi or Nesta but stayed loyal to his club for over 20 years until he was 41 & never complained or moaned about a thing.

costacurta03.jpg

To be fair, you know exactly what, so lets not open a massive debate on an unrelated thread.

I've no idea what you mean & quite frankly, I care even less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Eric Cantona.. 'nuff said
    Cantona not fit to reside in King Kenny's court

• Advertisement
Advertisement