Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i buy a autoclave for tattooing in dublin?

• 19-12-2009 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi!

My boyfriend has just started to learn to tattoo and he needs an autoclave, was wondering if anyone had any tips on what kind of one, size etc... would be suitable for him! also if anyone knows where i could buy one in Dublin id be really grateful coz i dont think ill have time to order it on the net (want to give it to him for christmas), id be REALLY GRATEFUL, thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dingdong1

why don't you do him a favour and get him an apprenticeship for xmas? proper vacuum autoclaves are upwards of 2000euro by the way..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

He shouldnt even be thinking of an autoclave if hes only starting.You dont just plug these things in and hope for the best--you need to be trained in how to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Op they are rather expensive ,if you are getting him one your best is to google medical supply companies the uk ones are usually pretty good , failing that buy everything disposable and eliminate the need for the auto clave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Op they are rather expensive ,if you are getting him one your best is to google medical supply companies the uk ones are usually pretty good , failing that buy everything disposable and eliminate the need for the auto clave

agreed, as long as you change the water frequently, get it serviced it's a case of putting the stuff in and closing the door.

http://www.henryschein.ie/ie-en/Dental-IE/Equipment/Autoclave.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Salon Services + Flair do them but theyre about 1800-2000e

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hang on a minute here lads.

Its not just a case of "putting the stuff in and closing the door"--Theres spore tests to be done,breaking down and thourogh(sp) cleaning of your equipment before just "putting the stuff in"

I dont know what you 2 have used them for but for tattooing its a different story and Im not going to trust a beginner with my life in using a clave without training.

In the UK its now a requirement to obtain a licence that you are trained in the use of an autoclave and not just own one.

failing that buy everything disposable and eliminate the need for the auto clave

^^^^Best advice on this thread so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

This thread is ridiculous, there should be a rule against seeking information to help scratchers. This board shouldn't be endorsing this, this person has just received advice they should not be getting outside of an apprenticeship.

dingdong1 wrote: »
    why don't you do him a favour and get him an apprenticeship for xmas?

This is the only decent piece of advice on this thread.

This thread is ridiculous, there should be a rule against seeking information to help scratchers. This board shouldn't be endorsing this, this person has just received advice they should not be getting outside of an apprenticeship.
    agreed!

• Advertisement

This thread is ridiculous, there should be a rule against seeking information to help scratchers.
    Well there isnt but Ill raise it with the other 2 mods.But Im of the opinion that if this guy has already started then is it not better to get some advice regarding hygiene than scratching away and endangering peoples lives.

This board shouldn't be endorsing this, this person has just received advice they should not be getting outside of an apprenticeship.

Maybe so but we`ve been here before and I think the last time we kinda agreed to disagree.

This is the only decent piece of advice on this thread.

An apprenticeship for Xmas.I dont even think Santa could arrange that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Where do you see it being endorsed?

What I saw when I read through the thread was people telling the poster that getting an autoclave is both very expensive, and not something that should be done unless the person is fully trained in how to use one. Would you rather we left them without that information so that they can continue to be ill informed?

He got links and information on where to purchase an autoclave. Should he remain uninformed? Yes, he should. On most tattoo forums you'd get banned for this. Infact on Reed Street/Skindeep boards you get banned for talking about equipment or anything technical outside of the artists only boards. By leaving this post up and not taking action against it the board is endorsing it. Scratchers should not be given free access to information under any circumstances.

Should he remain uninformed? Yes, he should.

Thereby endorsing elitism, and having this person remain a scratcher, rather than being told "No, don't get an autoclave till you're experienced/trained enough to use one"

If he had any respect for the industry he'd persuing an apprenticeship instead of buying gear to work from home. It's not elitism he will remain a scratcher regardless of having an autoclave at home, or whether he's using the best machines and equipment. Equipment, gear etc does not make you legit in anyway. If he had even the slightest clue he'd be using disposables but he obviously doesn't and why should he be given this information, it's disrespectful to those who've worked hard to gain an apprenticeship and done things the wrong way. He should be shut out at every step.

Do not link to material which may be offensive or encourage people to do silly things.

Hmm would this not make this post against the rules. All these links encourage him to tattoo from home hence going against the charter.

If he had any respect for the industry he'd persuing an apprenticeship instead of buying gear to work from home. It's not elitism he will remain a scratcher regardless of having an autoclave at home, or whether he's using the best machines and equipment. Equipment, gear etc does not make you legit in anyway. If he had even the slightest clue he'd be using disposables but he obviously doesn't and why should he be given this information, it's disrespectful to those who've worked hard to gain an apprenticeship and done things the wrong way. He should be shut out at every step.

This is all your opinion.
    And one I dont agree with.
    Respect for the industry?Theres a load of well know artists that never did a days apprenticeship in their lives--should they have been "shut out at every step"??

Well given that we know nothing else about this person, including whether or not they are tattooing themselves or other people or simply practicing on skins, then it's really not a call that you, me or anyone else on here can make.

Also, telling the mods what they should be doing etc. is called "Back seat modding", and is something that is not allowed on Boards either, so while thinking about what we should/should not be doing, bear that in mind also. Continuing to do so will earn an infraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Yeah there's also back seat modding there too man. Relax.

The woman asked an innocent question, she's not looking for trade secrets or anything of the sort. She's trying to get her fella a present.

I started a similar thread when I came on here looking for an autoclave to sterilize jewellery. Was told politely enough that it was futile, would be cheaper to just get pierced and safer. Why couldn't people just take the same route here and not let it descend into a sh¡t storm?

Truth I agree with you to a point but you don't have to take such a hardline edge with people who are asking innocent questions. She was given answers, good and sensible ones and basically told that she should just give him info.

It's not so hard to be polite. That goes for everyone.

• Advertisement

The information is there for those who seek it out. This makes it too easy, if people want it that bad they should work for it not post on a messageboard and get it handed to them. Instead of buying autoclaves he should be buying books, art materials etc. It's true some very good artists never apprenticed but you'll never hear their story going like this "I went on this message board and they hooked me up with a link to some gear I bought it scratched up my mates and here I am today" It's not acceptable to spoonfeed scratchers. Bedroom/kitchen tattooing is on the rise and I can only see talk of it being banned here to protect boards.ie from liability from all the idiot 16 year olds who are going to start using the information that's being thrown about liberally and injuring their mates.

I'd like to hear hot2def's opinion on all this as she is the only working tattooer on the board and she served an apprenticeship.

The information is there for those who seek it out. This makes it too easy, if people want it that bad they should work for it not post on a messageboard and get it handed to them. Instead of buying autoclaves he should be buying books, art materials etc. It's true some very good artists never apprenticed but you'll never hear their story going like this "I went on this message board and they hooked me up with a link to some gear I bought it scratched up my mates and here I am today" It's not acceptable to spoonfeed scratchers. Bedroom/kitchen tattooing is on the rise and I can only see talk of it being banned here to protect boards.ie from liability from all the idiot 16 year olds who are going to start using the information that's being thrown about liberally and injuring their mates.

I'd like to hear hot2def's opinion on all this as she is the only working tattooer on the board and she served an apprenticeship.
    Did you actually read the first post or just jump in both feet first?

The thread was started by a girl that wanted to try to help her boyfriend by getting him an autoclave. The guy could be well informed, his girlfriend could be less so.

You've been advised to stop your rant by all three of us mods, so please do so.

[edit]

Next time we have to ask you to stop, it'll be with either an infraction, or a short break for you.

It's not a rant, people are entitled to express an opinion regardless of it's popularity among the moderation team. This is a public forum, open to the general public. Those links are open to anyone who views this forum, regardless of their knowledge, age or intentions. You locked a topic about Georges Street Arcade because you don't like how they do business but this is okay?

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Theres a load of well know artists that never did a days apprenticeship in their lives
    yes, but that era has pretty much passed.
    teaching yourself to tattoo in this day and age is basically a cop-out, and you will hear many artists say that in interviews, with many saying they wish they had served an old-school traditional apprenticeship.
    with the knowledge about cross contamination/sterilisation available these days learning to teach yourself by trial and error is a bit of a no-no.. if you can't get an apprenticeship you really shoudn't be learning to tattoo.
    all IMO ofcourse ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

storm in a tea cup anyone?

not something for anyone to get bent out of shape about

any further comments please pm em to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement