Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Want To Erect A Heavy Punch Bag Bracket On Dashed Cavity Wall

Options
  • 19-12-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Hi there

As far as I know my 3 bedroom Semi-D uses cavity blocks. They are dashed over. The wall is around 30 years up, the bracket is 1050 millimetres long and will have approx 40Kg of weight hanging from it, including Bag, chains and other sundries.

I have been told that the only way to properly erect anything is to find the end of one block, where it meets the next, and drill through at that point.

The Coach Screws which I hope to sink will be 14mm in diameter, approx, and maybe 900m in length, approx.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

For starters the screws are 900mm in Length that is 3ft long. Sure a Cavity wall block is only 9" thick and then the render and plasterboard on the inside would only make it max 14" thick. Have you not got a shed that you can hand the bag in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

you could use a ply bace for extra grab. I have a fair idea what you want to do.

If it was me. . I would first get a nice bit of veneered ply or WBP ply 19mm thick . cut it about 3' x 3' and mount on the wall first. Try and place the bracket through the ply into the end of the block (near a mortar joint)

the thin side of a cavity block is not very strong and supply very little support, it may even brake with an impact drill. So your intension of getting into the end part is correct.

you should have 1/2 of sand and cement and plaster before the block as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

ab20 wrote: »
    For starters the screws are 900mm in Length that is 3ft long. Sure a Cavity wall block is only 9" thick and then the render and plasterboard on the inside would only make it max 14" thick. Have you not got a shed that you can hand the bag in?

Yeah I meant 90mm, when was the last time you saw a 3 foot coach screw being used on a domestic job?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have you ever tried moving in a shed? I mean, a full range of motions?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

gsxr1 wrote: »
    you could use a ply bace for extra grab. I have a fair idea what you want to do.

If it was me. . I would first get a nice bit of veneered ply or WBP ply 19mm thick . cut it about 3' x 3' and mount on the wall first. Try and place the bracket through the ply into the end of the block (near a mortar joint)

the thin side of a cavity block is not very strong and supply very little support, it may even brake with an impact drill. So your intension of getting into the end part is correct.

you should have 1/2 of sand and cement and plaster before the block as well.

Hi there and thanks for your informative reply!:cool:

By way of extra grab, I have a high-density foam piece siliconed onto the metal base of the bracket, so as that it sits flush and snug with the wall, the advantage of the foam is that it self-seals and compresses as you tighten down the bolts.

That correct about the joint.....I have been informed to find the joint, as it happens I wont attempt this now until I have assistance on standy as it is worth doing right.

Thanks again:cool:

Advertisement