Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Router causing Major Nat Problems

• 19-12-2009 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry in advance if wrong place but i've had a look i think i'm at the right place.

My dad changed routers recently, to accomodate our VOIP phone. It's a THOMSON ST716v5 and even when i get into it, it says were not connected to the internet. Regardless of that it's a NAT problem i'm having with my xbox.

I've made the whole assign a thing, I've selected the ports. But when it comes to selecting it onto the device i want ( XBOX 360 ) there is a massive list.

http://tinypic.com/r/29lxrue/6

that is the amount of " devices " i can choose from, None of them being the xbox ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its probably one of those unknown devices, You need to check its mac address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Could you help me on how i could do that ?

Not really, I've not got an xbox, but the mac address might be under network settings somewhere, have a look, someone with an xbox might post

The Wired Mac Address of the XBOX is 00125AACCB31

However i can't put that into my Router as such. It need's an IP.

So im guessing there's a way to link an IP to that Wired Mac Add

You need to give Your xbox a static ip address
    http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

• Advertisement

Thank you!! One last thing.

I can't give my ISP a call. But is there a way to get my DNS and Secondary DNS from my computer somehow ? Via CMD or my router page

The ip of Your router will work or You could just use opendns ones 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
    Who's Your ISP? Google will also tell You their dns addresses

ISP Is Net1. North east broadband providers, Considering my dad is a bellend he's more than likely somewhere on the forum now looking for people to complain about net1 :p

Google threw up these:
    http://support.net1.ie/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=117

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

The Thompson router (when configured as a NAT router) does not support UPNP
    You may be able to configure mapped ports to your XBOX by consulting Microsoft's documentation on their website

For Gaming we would not recommend using one of these routers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Right, first thing is I know NOTHING about networking etc. I have a Thompson modem/router, TG585 v7, and it works fine with Xbox 360 and I have open Nat.

I turned on UpNP, I turned off all devices on the network except Xbox. Found the Mac address, did the steps you did as find Xbox live and allow it.

The Thompson automatically opened the necessary ports. I also read a bit on Port Forward.com. It is very helpful. The fact that our modems/router are slightly different models may make a difference, As I said I haven't a clue really.

If you want me to walk you through what I did, its hard tp write it all down, let me know. Open Nat FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

The 716 is originally a DSL router - it has been modified to use port 4 as a WAN port - after this has been done the UPNP functionality does not work on this router once the modifications have been made .... period

Advertisement