Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - MINIMUM Broadband Speed?

• 19-12-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭

I've just signed up for a 3mb package with Eircom in the last two weeks and service so far has been patchy to say least.

Tonight's download speed is 0.1mb (Zero point one!) as told by Eircom's own speed test among others (0.13mbs/123kbs/100kbs).

Just moved into new house and have been forced to go with Eircom cos of the six-month contract half-nelson they imposed on me if I wanted the line activated.
    Was with SMART previously and regularly measured 5mb speeds (on a 4 meg package) which was grand.

Shouldn't I be receiving 3mb MINIMUM with Eircom? Am I the only one who thinks 0.1mb on a supposed 3mb deal is kinda taking the p*ss?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The contention ratio on 3Mbit is 48:1, therefore the minimum speed for them to be fulfilling their side of the contract is 3078kbps/48 which is 64kbps. You should expect much better than this, thats just a worst case senario

Have You asked Your neighbours if there are contention problems in the area in the evenings? What speeds do You get off peak? Can You login to Your router and post the dsl stats for Your line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

On a 3mb package you should be getting around 2.5 mb/s. eircom could have have your speed turned to the minimun if there had been problems getting the modem to sync. My results are below: 657649725.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yeah its total bull****. im getting the same the last 5 nights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The 'test mode' is 160k, ring your supplier up and tell them to take you out of test/diagostic mode .

Advertisement