Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assualt Causing Harm? Adult Caution?

• 19-12-2009 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I am aware that there are certain offences and crimes that are punishable by an adult garda caution if it is the perpetrators first offence.
    Does anyone know if assualt causing harm is deemed one of these and what do people think of the adult caution system? Does anyone have views whether the system is too lenient or rather good for freein up the courts etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Adult cautions are for first time minor offences, e.g. drunk and disorderly. I doubt assault causing harm comes under this.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

Victor wrote: »
    Adult cautions are for first time minor offences, e.g. drunk and disorderly. I doubt assault causing harm comes under this.

Does anyone know if it does?

And how is assualt causing harm defined?
    i.e. how much harm has to be caused to differentiate it from minor assualt?

Dnt know if its explained in detail in legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

No adult caution for assault causing harm, and if lets say the person injured required a number of stiches or something along them lines the suspect will more than likely find themselves in the circuit court.

Assault causing harm is explained well in the act just look up the statue book online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

The Adult Caution Scheme is only available for very minor offences such as section 2 (minor assaults), whereas it is not available for the more serious offence of section 3 (assault causing harm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

On available guidelines assault causing harm is not covered by the (non-statutory) discretionary adult caution scheme.

As whitewater-ags points out, this offence is as likely to be dealt with on indictment as it is summarily if not more so.

In general the adult caution scheme is a good idea, as you ask.

• Advertisement
Advertisement