Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrating the demise of cruel stag hunting

Options
  • 19-12-2009 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

How wonderful that the sickening cruel "sport" of stag hunting is about to face the chop. I sincerely hope that hare coursing and fox hunting follow it into the shameful pages of our criminal statute books. Defenders of recreational cruelty claim it's all just harmless fun, never once stopping to consider the suffering they inflict for their sick pleasure.

One of the biggest and most active coursing clubs is in...wait for it...Listowel, home of the jackasses who see fit shake the hand of a convicted sex offender as if he were...a sportsman.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And here was I thinking that it was just the fox hunters who arrive on high horses......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ah but Venison is Tasty. and therse is something to be said for killin yer own dinner.

but no, lets turn our backs on millions(?) or years of evolution because it offends the sensibilities of some UrbanitePinkos

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Venison Yum! whats next a ban on recreational fishing?

As an aside I saw couple of student types doing their one hour lunchtime protest outside a fur shop off Grafton street. Why a fur shop and not a shoe shop that sells leather shoes? I'll acknowledge animal rights when they petition for them!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Cant say i agree with hunting foxes unless they kill/injure sheep and thats rare enough.
    Hunting something you will eat however is pretty awesome I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭fairplay

Eating venison has nothing to do with carted stag hunting, which is about terrorising stags for fun and entertainment, and it has nothing to do with shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Boyle243

One of the biggest and most active coursing clubs is in...wait for it...Listowel, home of the jackasses who see fit shake the hand of a convicted sex offender as if he were...a sportsman.[/QUOTE]

well done u just compared a coursing club with a sex offender and im pretty sure not everybody in Listowel shook that man's hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Wow there are some ignorant people on these boards...for those who talk about venison and evolution...Mahatma Coat...you dont get the issue at hand obviously!

to Silverharp...there is a distinct difference between recreational fishing and vension. you dont get it either...

I welcome the ban and any future bans so those who feel the need to mistreat an animal in the name of fun and/or culinary treats, they can get their thrills elsewhere in a more humane manner befitting our long evolution that Mahatma Coat refers to....

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Stag hunting has been banned?

This can only be good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Clearly not yet anyway, big hunt on yesterday, in the papers and on main IT site.

Presume the ban comes in in the new year.

I have no problem with hunting of animals in Ireland as long as its for
    a) food
    b) pest control

Doing it for sport is simply cruel and unnecessary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Wow there are some ignorant people on these boards...for those who talk about venison and evolution...Mahatma Coat...you dont get the issue at hand obviously!

Please attack the post and not the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Pineapple_Boi

great news, backward cave-dwelling culchies and their hunting.

nothing wrong with eating meat if it was grown in a sustainable way, slaughtered by competent professionals or robots and complient with all modern EU safety standards.

but going into the forest to kill a fox with a gun? i thought we grew out of that millions of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

nothing wrong with eating meat if it was grown in a sustainable way, slaughtered by competent professionals or robots and complient with all modern EU safety standards.

but going into the forest to kill a fox with a gun? i thought we grew out of that millions of years ago

Most foxes here don't inhabit forests they are more commonly found on grassland or on rough ground.

Nothing wrong with eating wild meat either it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Most foxes here don't inhabit forests they are more commonly found on grassland or on rough ground.

Nothing wrong with eating wild meat either it has to be said.

dont forget the urban fox
    they seem more and more common:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Seriously, you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Nobrow

Boyle243 wrote: »
    One of the biggest and most active coursing clubs is in...wait for it...Listowel, home of the jackasses who see fit shake the hand of a convicted sex offender as if he were...a sportsman.

well done u just compared a coursing club with a sex offender and im pretty sure not everybody in Listowel shook that man's hand....

I'm not sure what fairplay was getting at, but since you bring it up, any individual who is capable of looking at a creature that has been chased and hounded until its lungs bleed and it can no longer stand to defend itself from a pack of dogs and derive pleasure from it, is lacking in empathy (relative to the typical human who would have great difficulty witnessing such suffering).

Lack of empathy is a fundamental characteristic of the rapist, the serial killer and the like. Deriving pleasure from torturing animals is a common characteristic of the young would-be serial killer. The behaviour is even part of the famous "Macdonald Triad".

So you see, for a great many of us (or certainly for me, perhaps I shouldnt presume to speak for others), their shared inhumanity makes it quite easy to view a "hunter" or coarser or badger baiter with the same disgust with which we view the sex offender.

Let it be known however I have nothing against Listowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭freewheeler

Nobrow wrote: »
    I'm not sure what fairplay was getting at, but since you bring it up, any individual who is capable of looking at a creature that has been chased and hounded until its lungs bleed and it can no longer stand to defend itself from a pack of dogs and derive pleasure from it, is lacking in empathy (relative to the typical human who would have great difficulty witnessing such suffering).

Lack of empathy is a fundamental characteristic of the rapist, the serial killer and the like. Deriving pleasure from torturing animals is a common characteristic of the young would-be serial killer. The behaviour is even part of the famous "Macdonald Triad".

So you see, for a great many of us (or certainly for me, perhaps I shouldnt presume to speak for others), their shared inhumanity makes it quite easy to view a "hunter" or coarser or badger baiter with the same disgust with which we view the sex offender.

Let it be known however I have nothing against Listowel.
    Life is cruel..nature is cruel..there are many predators in the wild who kill every day to survive,and while i accept that there may be some cruelty involved in some forms of hunting,comparing hunters and coursers to sex offenders is just plain ignorant. I dont include badger baiters or dog fighters as these practices are disgusting to any right thinking individual.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

[mod]That sort of language doesn't really help the debate along[/mod]

I think there's a big difference between hunting to eat or improve the herd and hunting for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭worded

silverharp wrote: »
    Venison Yum! whats next a ban on recreational fishing?

As an aside I saw couple of student types doing their one hour lunchtime protest outside a fur shop off Grafton street. Why a fur shop and not a shoe shop that sells leather shoes? I'll acknowledge animal rights when they petition for them!

it can take twenty rabbits to make just one fur coat.
    Its been proven that they are very slow at sewing and cant speed up no matter how many carrots are offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Trouser_Press

UrbanitePinkos

lol-cartoon-ag1.gif

Tally-Ho you overcooked Ruralite!!!

I'm glad I amused someone :D

I think it takes more than 20 Rabbits to make a coat, it took the Fur of 13 rabbits to make my Hat.

this thread is gettin a bit OT.

What are people Sh1ttini on about, AFAIK Deer hunting in Ireland is a solitary sport carried out mostly in the Wicklow mountains, anyone I've ever spoken to about it has a licence to hunt Deer and Does so for the Food and the pleasure it brings them to spend a day stalking their prey just as our ancestor did for milenia, however the modern hunter has the advantage that he can chose High powered rifle as his weapon as opposed to a big gang of mates with sticks, even then some people still enjoy to hunt with Crossbows.

so What is the OP suggesting??? cos I read it in the same bracket as calling for a ban on recreational fishing

• Advertisement

so What is the OP suggesting??? cos I read it in the same bracket as calling for a ban on recreational fishing

I don't understand the difference between recreational fishing and recreational burning of dogs with cigarette butts. They are both cruel and unnecessary and they both bring a weird pleasure to the person doing it. What makes one acceptable but not the other?

By all means fish for your supper, but not for the craic of tearing a living creatures flesh with a barb! I hooked my finger once while fishing for recreation as a child ... it was so horrific having my finger flesh tugged as we tried to get it out, I couldn't imagine what it would be like if it were piercing the roof of my mouth and I was being dragged around by it. Belief that fishing for fun is unacceptably cruel logically followed.

No, I'm not gonna play that game, this i down the same pointless route of why is alcohol legal and Heroin not, Fishing, hunting feckit even coarsing are part of our history and culture, hawking? ban that too?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

No, I'm not gonna play that game, this i down the same pointless route of why is alcohol legal and Heroin not, Fishing, hunting feckit even coarsing are part of our history and culture...
    So if something is considered culturally significant, it may be deemed exempt from morals and ethics?

djpbarry wrote: »
    So if something is considered culturally significant, it may be deemed exempt from morals and ethics?

these morals and ethics are quite a relativley new concept,and have only really been applied to the animal world after the bulk of the population forgot where its food came from.

You say 'culturally significant'; as if to dismiss it along the same lines as Druids clappin & leppin around in the buff at Newgrange, its more than that, we are carnivoresETAand ostensibly Omnivorous;) , historically we either hunted stuff to eat or raised stuff grown from captured and domesticated animals to eat, and even then Hunting has been what sustained people

No, I'm not gonna play that game, this i down the same pointless route of why is alcohol legal and Heroin not, Fishing, hunting feckit even coarsing are part of our history and culture, hawking? ban that too?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:
    Yes, of course, now you're getting it. Ban all forms of gratuitous torture of animals. Eat them if you must, but kill humanely and as necessary. Do not tear a creature to pieces and then toss off to the pub just for the fun of it.

And really, citing the historical imperative is pretty weak. As humans/society have evolved and become more civilised we have consciously abondoned all sorts of practices. Surely I don't need to cite examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Nobrow wrote: »
    Yes, of course, now you're getting it. Ban all forms of gratuitous torture of animals. Eat them if you must, but kill humanely and as necessary. Do not tear a creature to pieces and then toss off to the pub just for the fun of it.

And really, citing the historical imperative is pretty weak. As humans/society have evolved and become more civilised we have consciously abondoned all sorts of practices. Surely I don't need to cite examples?

oh yeah, yes we did, murder, rape, robbery, gbh, come on op smell the morning coffee, you are just nit picking, choseing practises which you choose not agree with, ones which a small minority of the population also do not agree with, and are quite vocal in their opposition to.

old boy wrote: »
    oh yeah, yes we did, murder, rape, robbery, gbh, come on op smell the morning coffee, you are just nit picking, choseing practises which you choose not agree with, ones which a small minority of the population also do not agree with, and are quite vocal in their opposition to.
    Can you back up your claim that it is a "small minority of the population" that are opposed to stag hunting?

taconnol wrote: »
    Can you back up your claim that it is a "small minority of the population" that are opposed to stag hunting?

I suppose you can show this to be untrue then???

my experience has shown that it is generally the 'usual suspects' the ones who oppose everything on principal without understanding what any of it really is, and that they are a small, Vocal, misguided, and illinformed bunch of reactionarys, most of them wouldn't have spent more than a month in the actual countryside over the course of their young lives.

now thats my opinion based on experience of these sorts of clowns.

brainwashed idiots incapable of examining the situation themselves and formulating their own thoughts.

I suppose you can show this to be untrue then???
    It is up to the person making the original claim to support it. It is not my job to prove the opposite.
    my experience has shown that it is generally the 'usual suspects' the ones who oppose everything on principal without understanding what any of it really is, and that they are a small, Vocal, misguided, and illinformed bunch of reactionarys, most of them wouldn't have spent more than a month in the actual countryside over the course of their young lives.
    So many assumptions and prejudgments. Again, can you provide evidence of any of this other than anecdotal evidence?
    brainwashed idiots incapable of examining the situation themselves and formulating their own thoughts.
    Are you applying this label to anyone who opposes stag hunting? In other words, anyone who doesn't happen to share your opinion on the matter?

• Advertisement

taconnol wrote: »
    It is up to the person making the original claim to support it. It is not my job to prove the opposite.

Yeah, Thats fine and all, but do you have anything backin up your asertions? or is it just a case of hesaidshesaid........
    So many assumptions and prejudgments. Again, can you provide evidence of any of this other than anecdotal evidence?
    Experience is the word I used.
    Are you applying this label to anyone who opposes stag hunting? In other words, anyone who doesn't happen to share your opinion on the matter?

No, its not about opposition to it, its about a style of posting that often appears in these types of threads, the Ban everything I dont like its inhumane, 'Wont somebody think of the children'(but means it) style of posting. the flip side of whqt you accuse me of;) sorta

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement