Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tedious Bickering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

"Mechanical faults" Ha! More like "Family demands"...

Nice to put a few faces to names. My first boards (semi)outing. I'm gonna have to get the hang of that group riding thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Great stuff lads, good turn out too. Fair play to Moeckler for showing up and sticking at it. I don't think you can appreciate the difference in speed between a Road bike and MTB till you have ridden both.

Cycling was the winner at the end of the day.....and el_tonto.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I was "stationed" on the Vico Rd., had to wait a long time. Blorg shot up the Vico. followed by Dirk and Nine Itchy Nine. I went up to the top with them (been up about 4 times already, arrived a tad early :) and went back down the route to meet the Tete De La Course, but to no avail. Went all the way back into Blackrock..................but missed out somewhere.

Well done lads. Something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Cycling was the winner at the end of the day.....and el_tonto.

So, Tonto then.... oh well, that was predictable!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yellow jersey then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

All done now. Mockler has won.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

rematch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Was under pressure to get home so couldn't make it up to the finish. I had images in my mind of tonto arriving to Mockler sitting on the roundabout having a smoke...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Mockler won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

For real?! Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Anyone spot the stalkers?:o

Picture_209_Medium.jpg

Picture_211_Medium.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

el tonto wrote: »
    All done now. Mockler has won.

Really? Details, details, photos, timings etc please...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Really? Details, details, photos, timings etc please...
    Sounds like el tonto may be too busy drowning his sorrows:D

although I suspect he did really win

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Beasty wrote: »

although I suspect he did really win

he may have been first to the finish line, but not across it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Great day to be out, glad I decided not to retreat back to bed.

Fair play Mockler, I thought my eyes were deceiving me when I saw those bermuda shorts stopped at the lights. Like Pete says, when you've ridden a mountain bike (not even a full susser) on the road, even with forks locked out, you can appreciate the effort. I honestly thought it was game over after the furious descent from Howth. Chapeau!

Great to see so many people out.

Who were the two lads at the cafe in Bray at the end asking where Mockler was? He is a celebrity now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Mockler did win.

The roadies weren't really giving the race the respect it deserved and that was their undoing.

We were ahead of Mockler in a bunch taking it pretty easy all along until the East Link, when DirkVoodoo and myself broke away. Nietzchean bridged across to us and from there we pushed it, opening up a sizable gap. We stayed together until the climb up Sorrento Road at which point I opened up a gap on the other two. I then proceeded to absolutely bury myself... I suspected the other two wouldn't work together effectively to catch me and was right, arriving around 10-15 minutes ahead of them.

Mockler was fourth in, ahead of all the other roadies! Apparently he took a different route through Glenageary which may have been slightly shorter than the coast road but the el tonto group got lost and didn't finish up Vevay Road either. There were two third party reports that put him at a steady 3-4 minutes back at two different points on the route, the Tortoise and the Hare springs to mind.

One way or the other I think Mockler has the moral victory.

Fair dues to him, I think we need to get him unbanned so he can have a bit of justified gloating. Down with the girly tyres! All hail the SUV bike!

I just stress, as soon as we reached the east link I asked Aidan did he want to sprint to the end of the road, I blame Blorg for turning a fun day out for all into an actual race, for shame.

I'm currently trying to fit some knobbly tires onto my road bike, no joy so far, but when I do I can go faster. Mockler has shown me the light, hallelujah!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

blorg wrote: »
    I then proceeded to absolutely bury myself... I suspected the other two wouldn't work together effectively to catch me and was right, arriving around 10-15 minutes ahead of them.

We got lost, you were our directions! And we sort of worked together in that we had a chat along the way? ;) though even if we hadn't, no keeping up with you, killer pace...

fair play to mockler with the win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Here's my input for the highlight reel, apologies for the shakiness. this was more of an exercise in youtubing than anything. glad to see so many heads out, nice to meet you Cdaly

Damn, a few more seconds and you would have seen my epic sprint away from the peloton. I think you can see me turn my head to aidan.offbeat, which is kind of the same as a sprint, no?

• Advertisement

Apologies, my co-driver wasn't available with his motorbike this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

mockler007 wrote: »
    you picked the route i pick the time
    We've both agree to use the same route.
    Mockler was fourth in, ahead of all the other roadies! Apparently he took a different route through Glenageary which may have been slightly shorter than the coast road but the el tonto group got lost and didn't finish up Vevay Road either.

Was there agreement on these deviations or are we looking at technicality shenanigans?? Just as well there wasn't €2000 on it :D

Thanks for the updates, pics and video.

I think this needs to be brought to everyones attention! Dirk trying to pull a fast one! for shame

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Everything was going grand until I hit Killiney. The closure of Vico Road forced us to look for another way up the hill and we spent a while going up various lanes around there before coming out on the other side. At this stage it was myself and Lumen and it took me a while to get my bearings again and get back onto the road for Shankill. Once there we were motoring along again until in Bray I stupidly went right at the McDonalds and on to the wrong roundabout. At that stage, Mockler had made it to the correct roundabout and claimed victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Everything was going grand until I hit Killiney. The closure of Vico Road forced us to look for another way up the hill and we spent a while going up various lanes around there before coming out on the other side. At this stage it was myself and Lumen and it took me a while to get my bearings again and get back onto the road for Shankill. Once there we were motoring along again until in Bray I stupidly went right at the McDonalds and on to the wrong roundabout. At that stage, Mockler had made it to the correct roundabout and claimed victory.
    You should have just gone up Vico Road, it was perfectly passable for a bike. Just about 50m blocked off, why it is even blocked I don't know.

That schoolboy error has cost you dearly, your license to use the internet may need to be revoked now. When are you getting a mountain bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Fair play to all involved.

Maybe next time out someone can see about getting Garmin to sponsor it with the lend of a few 705s :) That or a few southsiders... (I get tend to get a bit disorientated if I go south of Kilmainham.)

Fair play to all involved.

Maybe next time out someone can see about getting Garmin to sponsor it with the lend of a few 705s :) That or a few southsiders... (I get tend to get a bit disorientated if I go south of Kilmainham.)

This never works, I think boardsies use Garmins exclusively for power measurement and to look good, mapping and route guidance never seem to be used.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So the secret weapon was ... map reading ability. An epic conclusion to an epic occasion. Well done, particularly to the 2 "contenders", but also to everyone else involved.

Right, I'm off for celebratory beers, might see some of you tomorrow at the Orwell spin. Well done everyone, great day out on the bike.

Also, met a lot of potholes today, not nice.

• Advertisement

You should have just gone up Vico Road, it was perfectly passable for a bike. Just about 50m blocked off, why it is even blocked I don't know.

It's the law abiding citizen in me. I can't help it. I saw the sign across the road and didn't even consider sneaking up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement