Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tedious Bickering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

blorg wrote: »
    The first entry on the Boards FAQ, linked from the charter:

You are being a dick. And it is completely unnecessary.

So it's ok to call someone a dick here!!! right!

Ah sure you are all A4 riders !! ;-) ok to call you that????

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

He didn't call you a dick. He said that you were "being a dick", which falls under the acceptable practice of "criticise the behaviour, not the child".

Now go tidy your room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

a) If the shoe fits.

and
    b) you don't even race.

Are you trying to convince every reader of this board that you're a goon? Is that wise?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Blorg's an A3 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Let me rephrase that, you are behaving like a dick in the post I quoted. It was not my term but one taken directly from the FAQ as you seemed to require a reference from the charter or some other rulebook as to what was appropriate behaviour here.

You are posting snide, belittling comments where there is utterly no need to do so. The majority here seem to be interested in reading the race reports from those who took part in the races. If you are not, but wanted to know results, why did you not just post "Anyone have any results?" rather than belittling those who took the time to post a race report of their experiences?

As to Boards posters all being A4 riders: (1) no they are not, I know personally several A1s and A2s, RAS riders, not to mention the A3s; (2) what is wrong exactly with being an A4 rider? Everyone starts somewhere and we learn through our own mistakes as well as reading the accounts of others.

Incidentally the A1/A2/A3 and otherwise experienced riders I know have been very supportive of my own starting racing and have offered frequent valuable advice.

What are you and where are you coming from? You haven't been exactly forthcoming on that one. You are not a racer yourself, it would seem... have you ever raced a bike?

Could you point to a post where you have said something constructive?

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    Let me rephrase that, you are behaving like a dick in the post I quoted. It was not my term but one taken directly from the FAQ as you seemed to require a reference from the charter or some other rulebook as to what was appropriate behaviour here.

You are posting snide, belittling comments where there is utterly no need to do so. The majority here seem to be interested in reading the race reports from those who took part in the races. If you are not, but wanted to know results, why did you not just post "Anyone have any results?" rather than belittling those who took the time to post a race report of their experiences?

As to Boards posters all being A4 riders: (1) no they are not, I know personally several A1s and A2s, RAS riders, not to mention the A3s; (2) what is wrong exactly with being an A4 rider? Everyone starts somewhere and we learn through our own mistakes as well as reading the accounts of others.

Incidentally the A1/A2/A3 and otherwise experienced riders I know have been very supportive of my own starting racing and have offered frequent valuable advice.

What are you and where are you coming from? You haven't been exactly forthcoming on that one. You are not a racer yourself, it would seem... have you ever raced a bike?

Could you point to a post where you have said something constructive?

As to who I am:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZDQUVt28hA

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055847989&page=5
    for one constructive comment but if you care to go through my others you will see 100's :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

Sounds like weve got alot of tired cyclists letting off some tyre pressure here today.

What will it be like after the three day events of the easter weekend!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

C'mon Bob, most of the regular posters here are very transparent with who they are.

Raam wrote: »
    C'mon Bob, most of the regular posters here are very transparent with who they are.

He's answered that one already - I might be misunderstanding, but he seems to be admitting that he's a hysterical teenage girl.

• Advertisement

Don't worry, I'll lose interest before it gets too far.

Bob - I don't believe you are genuinely interested in the results, just in belittling the racing reports of others.

I am actually! I dont believe your comment is genuine!

Thanks PX, but it seems the new rule is to post results only and keep our blatherings to ourselves because Bob would prefer hard facts rather than read about failure from A4 riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Incidentally, any links for race reports on boards.ie from riders who have won senior A or B (pre 2010) and/or A1 or A2 races (2010)?

Incidentally on a bulletin board really means you should start another thread on your chosen topic. Not further attempts to drag this one off topic and generally be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Hey Bob
    I did get a place in the Harry Reynolds a couple of years back in the A1/A2 race, If wrote a report on that race would it count ........

Why don't you write us a report ? on your cycle to work or something ?

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

biker_joe wrote: »
    Hey Bob
    I did get a place in the Harry Reynolds a couple of years back in the A1/A2 race, If wrote a report on that race would it count ........

Why don't you write us a report ? on your cycle to work or something ?

Joe

I think that bob is on a mission to prove that many film here are novice in terms of racing. Which is undeniable. However it is as valid a form of cycling as any.
    Maybe he should take the Audax lads to task also, as they didn't actually win anything merely cycle a couple of hundred kms every weekend.

There is thread of sneering contempt in a lot of what he writes here.
    As a non racer I really enjoy the race reports here from folks that I know and folks that are strangers to me.
    As a cycling forum which is part 'social club' so to speak it is part of the reason that I come here.
    Information AND entertainment.
    Keep it up guys. Who knows maybe ine day ye will get to bobs level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

If I was any good at cycling there's no way I'd be giving away my tactics how I'm feeling during a race etc on a public forum. cycling is stactical AFAIK any edge you can get you keep secret esp when you are racing the same lads each week.

Very good point Shanguil, the only thing I need to learn Joe is the snobbery of established boards posters. Been there done that as regards racing thanks. :)

My original point merely expressed a personal opinion yet I have been savaged since by a cluster of regular boards posters.

It seems to be mob rule here rather than mod rule.

Niesschworthen in his last point (now deleted for some reason) seems to like to act as judge and jury here, he aint even a mod, he could have just as easy just said 'No'. :p

People can read all the reports they want about racing, once you are in a race and it comes to critical decisions like whether to jump onto the wheel of someone attacking or to attack yourself, or to dig in on a climb or open up a sprint, or attack into a corner, etc etc it's all instinctive, no matter what you read won't really help you at that stage. I'd say to beginners, read Paddy Doran's valuable insights regarding all elements of racing on irishcycling.com.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They also have results on Irishcycling.com. Lots of them.

It seems to be mob rule here rather than mod rule.

Niesschworthen in his last point (now deleted for some reason) seems to like to act as judge and jury here, he aint even a mod, he could have just as easy just said 'No'. :p

It was argumentative so I deleted it. I was trying to keep this thread from descending into Bob-bashing.

Follks, the Ignore feature is useful and if you find posts truly objectionable just Report them.

• Advertisement

You've made your point bob, repeatedly. Enough already. Have you noticed that no one agrees with you? Have you noticed how many of the race reports are thanked and how few of your posts are? Have you read that many people like to read them simply as entertainment, not purely for tactical insight?

If you have a problem with race reports, don't read them.

Tom,

why are you trying to stifle discussion?

Just because I am in a minority am I to be subdued?

I've been called all sorts over previous threads - it's tantamount to bullying and would put lesser mortals off this forum altogether!

Just because I am in a minority am I to be subdued?

You're the one calling for people to stop writing reports. You're the only person doing so. Your opinion is outweighed by the vast majority, ignoring it is not bullying it's de facto democracy in action. Continuing to snipe at and antagonise other posters here means they will retaliate. Now, you might claim that as bullying, but really, you have no one to blame but yourself, and if your cause was a worthwhile one you'd probably be getting better back up. As it is you're all on your own looking more and more foolish.

You can't go shouting about how rubbish a movie is in a cinema without people telling you to shut up. That's the world. Get used to it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Where's Mockler when you need him? - I think this can only be settled by a race.

niceonetom wrote: »
    You're the one calling for people to stop writing reports. You're the only person doing so. Your opinion is outweighed by the vast majority, ignoring it is not bullying it's de facto democracy in action. Continuing to snipe at and antagonise other posters here means they will retaliate. Now, you might claim that as bullying, but really, you have no one to blame but yourself, and if your cause was a worthwhile one you'd probably be getting better back up. As it is you're all on your own looking more and more foolish.

You can't go shouting about how rubbish a movie is in a cinema without people telling you to shut up. That's the world. Get used to it.

Again another accusation of me looking foolish !! ah well

I didnt tell people to stop writing reports (pity my original post has now been deleted!)

I expressed my opinion that I find it more useful to see race results than race reports, not everyone has the luxury of being able to attend races every week. If its an online community why not share the info. Sometimes other race result sites can be slow.

Maybe people could post who won in a report, like if ur in a race is it not highly releveant who got placings, would the writer not be interested in watching them next week?!

I tire of this.

I didnt tell people to stop writing reports (pity my original post has now been deleted!)

It wasn't deleted, it was moved here along with the other off-topic discussion.

Perhaps 2 of biker joes posts above should be moved to the tedious bickering thread too! I find them insulting and condescending towards me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Very good point Shanguil, the only thing I need to learn Joe is the snobbery of established boards posters. Been there done that as regards racing thanks.

My original point merely expressed a personal opinion yet I have been savaged since by a cluster of regular boards posters.
    If you were responding to the race reports with your experienced critique of what posters were doing well, what mistakes they seemed to be making, what they could do better, that would be "a personal opinion" that would be welcomed as contributing to a discussion.

This is the sort of advice I get from more experienced racers in my club and indeed other guys racing and it is advice I welcome, take to heart and hopefully learn from to become a better racer.

However you are not doing this. You are responding simply with (to paraphrase):

- your post is worthless, you lost the race, shut up you insignificant loser and give me the results;
    - you are only an A4 racer and what you are doing is pointless and unworthy of comment;
    - stop wasting space with your A4 failures and let's hear the A1/A2 results please; if you can't win your own pathetic race the least you could do would be hang around a few hours and get the A1 results.

Look, I don't think anyone here is under any illusions as to the level they are racing at. There are people better than us, at a level above, and there always will be. We accept that. However we would like to be able to discuss our experiences at our lowly amateur racing level without some repeated posts from you saying we are a waste of space.

You are being "savaged" as you are coming on this thread posting nothing constructive and being downright rude, belittling and condescending to people who are starting racing and have taken the time to share their experiences. I am amazed if you can't see this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement