Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tedious Bickering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I really think you should read this thread from start to finish, understand what tedious bickering is. You come up quite a few times in it, so much for your "character". I don't know why changing your posting style (emulating the scousers from that video, I don't know?).

A gulag, it's a forced labour camp from the Soviet Union...jeez, everyone knows that.

Well, I'm off to bed now, disappointed you didn't step up Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I really think you should read this thread from start to finish, understand what tedious bickering is. You come up quite a few times in it, so much for your "character". I don't know why changing your posting style (emulating the scousers from that video, I don't know?).

A gulag, it's a forced labour camp from the Soviet Union...jeez, everyone knows that.

Well, I'm off to bed now, disappointed you didn't step up Bob.

Quit advising me what to do - you aint even a moderator here. I could think of things to call you but refrain.

Quit lambasting me - I had a heated debate with Blorg and a few others here once before iifc.

"Emulating" from that video? That's alot of typing in one minute!

Enjoy [sic] reading your bedtime books about Stalin or whatever

Glad I managed to disappoint you given your manner and trolling in my direction

Dirk you have quite the domineering persona on boards, I am sure you would be delighted if you could be as domineering in the results.

In my insomniatic and thoughtful state I’ll digress further;

You see folks, maybe I am getting old but I come from a metaphorical place / generation where you were lucky to get to a race with your bike intact and on time; knowing the GPS location of the changing rooms was not a pre-requisite.

Call me cynical or plain wrong but I think I can differentiate between those here who discovered the bike and the joys of competition there-in and then internet forum posting, as opposed to those who did it the other way around.

Indeed I find there is almost a certain level of competition to boards posting!

With regard to the chicken and egg question regarding cycling and internet forums, there is no pondering required.

Perhaps I’ve been there and done that in my eyes in terms of cycling but lack the “social” graces of forum posting or at least choose to under-rate at this stage it until such merits are warranted in my opinion.

New media gives this world many challenges – just look at the issues regarding Twitter surrounding Gerry Ryan’s death or the suspended exam supervisor issue just last week.

Call me old fashioned but I don't like snide remarks classifying one amateur organisation's race over another.

I feel I must apologise at this stage, I grew up reading newspapers, cycling magazines and training manuals, not cycling forums. I wasn’t sure what trolling was (and am still not, seems very open to interpretation, one man’s troll is another man’s valid point) or even how to multi-quote, but I have been in my fair share of line-outs over the years and drank enough bottles of energy drink to know to always opt for the flavoured stuff over the neutral flavour any day of the week.

I wouldn’t mind but some of ye boardsies aint exactly kids, but can go on fairly naively, less typing more reading is prescribed – if only we knew a good doctor ;-)

Perhaps those at expert levels in either cycling or forum posting could be more considerate to others with different rankings. Where would you come on the attached chart?

Is there an ECDL course for boards posting anywhere? Any decent coaches? Or Bord na Mona coaching handbooks? Now yer talking indeed !!

I feel I must apologise at this stage

Really? Ok, apology accepted.
    or even how to multi-quote

There is no trick, I just copy and paste the tags. Maybe there is another way, but hey, call me old school.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

There is no trick, I just copy and paste the tags. Maybe there is another way, but hey, call me old school.

little inverted comma's symbol beside the quote button.

hit that on each post you'd like to quote, and then hit quote (definitely works) or reply (think it works) on the last post you want to include.

• Advertisement

Really? Ok, apology accepted.

Just apologising for being old fashioned in this context - don't get excited.

Otherwise I stand over all above with the exception of the misleading statistics.

Don't be putting words in my mouth ! :eek:

uberwolf wrote: »
    little inverted comma's symbol beside the quote button.

hit that on each post you'd like to quote, and then hit quote (definitely works) or reply (think it works) on the last post you want to include.

Ah, I thought it was just for quoting multiple posts and not multiple parts of posts. Guess I should move myself to the left a few places on Bob's graph. Am I to use the polar or cartesian coordinate system? I'm thinking polar, because they make good cycling computers, so I might get moved up the y-axis a bit for free.

Just apologising for being old and excited.

Otherwise I stand above all with the exception of Lance.

Don't be putting Lance in my mouth ! :eek:

Hey, I only ever quote directly, I would never put Lance in anyones mouth, you don't know where he's been!!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You see folks, maybe I am getting old but I come from a metaphorical place / generation where you were lucky to get to a race with your bike intact and on time; knowing the GPS location of the changing rooms was not a pre-requisite.

And yet you've posted multiple requests for more information on the Dublin Criterium thread? Why are you allowed to ask for further information on a race while nobody else is?
    Call me cynical or plain wrong but I think I can differentiate between those here who discovered the bike and the joys of competition there-in and then internet forum posting, as opposed to those who did it the other way around.

What's wrong with discussing bike racing on the web before you actually start racing?
    Call me old fashioned but I don't like snide remarks classifying one amateur organisation's race over another.

It's been pointed out several times to you that he was commenting on how hard the race was, not it's organisation.
    I wouldn’t mind but some of ye boardsies aint exactly kids, but can go on fairly naively, less typing more reading is prescribed

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

This second installment of bickering reminds me of a guy in my class in college that never attended any lectures, and showed up in the week before exams asking all sorts of questions.
    Upon answering them to the best of one's ability the chap would then proceed to tell you you were wrong and spout out what he thought was the correct answer.

Is the "bickering challenge" written into the forum charter yet, it really should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Enjoy [sic] reading your bedtime books about Stalin or whatever
    Classic

el tonto wrote: »
    And yet you've posted multiple requests for more information on the Dublin Criterium thread? Why are you allowed to ask for further information on a race while nobody else is?
    Because 10-15 years ago Bob was an awesome rider, but exactly how awesome he won't tell us because he's a modest kinda guy. He has earned the right to his double standard. He has been there and done it all, according to his humble self.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

The last two pages of this thread have been absoluely fascinating. I haven't witnessed a scrap of this intensity since the days of Tim Allen.

unionman wrote: »
    The last two pages of this thread have been absoluely fascinating. I haven't witnessed a scrap of this intensity since the days of Tim Allen.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66406749&postcount=13

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

...not I challenge you to an uphill cycle race thread - go create one if you want...

Am I the only one who thought "that would be an awesome thread" when reading this?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Sometimes it's hard to figure out a thread from it's title. Not so with this one.

el tonto wrote: »

What's wrong with discussing bike racing on the web before you actually start racing?

It's been pointed out several times to you that he was commenting on how hard the race was, not it's organisation.

How so?

I'd imagine Halfords have alot more resources to throw at racing events than a typical Irish club !??!

I'd imagine Halfords have alot more resources to throw at racing events than a typical Irish club !??!
    Do you know how long it takes to plot a route on mapmyride.com or ridingwithgps.com? 10 mins max. 2 mins to anyone who actually knows the area being mapped.

Do you know how long it takes to plot a route on mapmyride.com or ridingwithgps.com? 10 mins max. 2 mins to anyone who actually knows the area being mapped.

You are presuming every club is sure of routes before a start - there could be roadworks etc affecting them

You are presuming every club is sure of routes before a start - there could be roadworks etc affecting them
    There could. So you plot the intended route and could add a note at the bottom to say 'Route may vary due to unforeseen circumstances'.

Swords cycling club has all their circuits mapped:

http://www.swordscc.com/ go to Club League, then Club League circuits.

• Advertisement

There could. So you plot the intended route and could add a note at the bottom to say 'Route may vary due to unforeseen circumstances'.

Swords cycling club has all their circuits mapped:

http://www.swordscc.com/ go to Club League, then Club League circuits.

You are assuming people are as proficient on a computer as yourself!

You are assuming people are as proficient on a computer as yourself!
    Its very very simple. If a club can manage a website, they can manage mapping a route.

Its very very simple. If a club can manage a website, they can manage mapping a route.

good point

For y'all information(e):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056055853

Julie noted

;)

Ole ! Watch your house !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

For y'all information(e):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056055853

Julie noted

;)

Ole ! Watch your house !!

Post reported!

Only messin' bob.

Who is Julie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

What a colossal amount of wasted volunteer time. Why would anyone be a mod, ccmod or admin when you have to deal with the likes of this

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

c0rk3r wrote: »
    What a colossal amount of wasted volunteer time. Why would anyone be a mod, ccmod or admin when you have to deal with the likes of this
    No discussion of moderation or dispute threads here

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Why would anyone be a mod, ccmod or admin when you have to deal with the likes of this

Chicks dig mods :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement