Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiming lessons

Options
  • 20-12-2009 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Looking to get my dog swiming. She seems not to enjoy water that much. When hunting she will jump a ditch rather than wade through a stream.(ankle height). Though if she really has to she will go through although she explore's all other avenue's first :D . Though would love to get this out of her i live beside a river and would love for her to have a good swim. She's a German Shorthaired Pointer and according to the breed they should be able to swim and be happy too. Any advice welcome.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Let her go in her own time, don't throw her in

Bring her down the local river and get her in ankle depth and then toss a stick 20 metres or so out. If that works next time she goes out you can throw a stone a few metres in either direction of her.
    She will swim to the splash and you can do this for a while.

We have a golden retriever, he was truely hopeless the first few times and swimming like a drowning man!
    Now he is a better swimmer then me :o

Oh, and watch out for swans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

To get out dogs swimming I always go into shallow water and first and they slowly follow me in in their own time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I've got an Otterhound, OP, and the breed is supposed to adore water.Yeah, right, he'd have a heart attack if he fell into water. I don't mind but it always makes me chuckle when my Lurchers gallop into the water and Bordeaux stands at the shore and whines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

LoL thats what my GSP is like ant there ment to be great water dogs.. Will wait till the weather heats up don the waders and slowly bring her out. Hopefully she will get there yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

I know a cocker spaniel who, despite breed description, detests the water and refuses to go in. On the other hand my youngest Jack Russell cross, who is supposed to dislike water, can be seen happily swimming in the wake of her Lab/Collie cross eldest sister in pursuit of a ball. I guess dogs, like humans, have their only personal likes and dislikes and some just don't conform to breed type

• Advertisement
Advertisement