Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black in earring holes

Options
  • 20-12-2009 12:16am

I normally change my earrings every day but have kept the same pair in for about 3 weeks, took them out today to discover the holes have gone black! I know this is a reaction to the metal, it happens to me from time to time but I usually notice immediately and just pick out the black spots. This time, it won't come out. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

wash your piercings more and wash em more often than u have been in the last few weeks...otherwise your on your way to a nasty infection.
    Try a salt soak, with water and sea salt.

• It's not a hygiene issue, these are lobe piercings I've had since I was a child. It's the metal reacting with my skin. I occasionally get the same thing with rings and necklaces. I remember reading that when this happens, it can cause the hole to remain black forever, which is why I'm usually very quick to pick out the black bits but this time they won't come out :( These earrings were expensive and didn't itch at all so I wasn't expecting to have an issue with them. I'm actually after realising I have taken them out a good few times, sure I took them out last night before showering, and mustn't have noticed the black holes this morning. (or else they somehow appeared today)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Just leave them out for a few days. And then switch to some high-grade material earrings in the future, such as surgical steel.

• Would leaving them out make it go away? I'm sure it's happened loads of times but since I read that it can be permanent, I've become really paranoid. I try to wear 'proper' jewellery but most of it isn't very pretty, I like to wear dangly earrings and stuff, not barbells and hoops. I used to wear surgical steel in my nose and cartilage but thought I was able to get away with other stuff in my lobes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Generally most people can but it just happens from time to time. I actually use "butterfly backs" in 2 of my piercings because they are so badly pierced that I can't put proper jewellery in them. Sometimes they go black from certain jewellery but it goes away after changing the jewellery or leaving them out for a while. Try it, it works for me so it might for you :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement