Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Eating Flowers

Options
  • 20-12-2009 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Is he alright eating flowers?

I've caught the him having a munch a few times, out the window.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of flowers they were but he'd seemed to be enjoying them.

Should I have him evaluated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Is your dog eating a LOT of flowers?

Can you tell what they are/take a pic so people can tell you if they're anyway poisonous?

If the dogs just having the odd munch and isn't sick / showing any other symptoms, I'd say he's ok. My pup eats all sorts out the back, she tries eating the aloe vera plant even though it's spikey! She'll eat the Maple tree, the apple tree, the bayleaf tree...
    it's not usual for dogs to have a chew on greenery, just make sure it's not lots / not making them sick. If you're very worried you can always ring the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

When we got our dog first we checked that none of the plants in the garden were poisonous to dogs, because you'd be surprised what is poisonous for them. He was mad for fuschia, it was so funny to see him plucking the flowers off the bush, never did him any harm. I guess the most important thing is to check whether the plant is known for being bad for dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

At first glance, I thought that must be a very big flower to be able to devour a dog - kinda like a giant version of those insect eating plants. :eek: ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Both my Jack Russell crosses have a passion for Michaelmas Daisies - not just the flowers but the plants themselves. The older one destroyed 5 in one summer! All three dogs (especially the eldest who is a Lab/Collie cross) adore one particular weed - I think it's called sticky back - that's found in the park I take them to and will even stop chasing balls to eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

All we have left in our garden is some herbs - he likes to eat them so he hasn't pulled them up by the roots like he did with the rest of the flowers/plants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

ghost_ie wrote: »
    Both my Jack Russell crosses have a passion for Michaelmas Daisies - not just the flowers but the plants themselves. The older one destroyed 5 in one summer! All three dogs (especially the eldest who is a Lab/Collie cross) adore one particular weed - I think it's called sticky back - that's found in the park I take them to and will even stop chasing balls to eat it.

Ha ha, my three are the same with them sticky back weeds. They sniff out all the delcate little shoots and leafs and love them. There Jack Russells too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

skipz wrote: »
    Ha ha, my three are the same with them sticky back weeds. They sniff out all the delcate little shoots and leafs and love them. There Jack Russells too.

At least now I know my three aren't insane. It's hilarious to see three noses delicately sniffing before tucking into particularly succulent parts of the weed :)

Advertisement