Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outlook Express email transfer to a new machine

• 20-12-2009 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

I have just got a new Windows7 machine which has Outlook 2007 onboard.

All my emails are on the old XP machine in Outlook Express.

I have setup my email accounts and imported my address book into Outlook 2007 on the new Win7 PC.

Is there any easy way to get my actual emails from Outlook Express on the old XP machine to the Win7 Outlook 2007 machine?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Hi gadgetman,

I installed a Win7 PC for a client yesterday with the very same problem; couldn't get the Outlook Express data from XP into Outlook 2007 on the new PC (was it you?) :D

Spent some time today looking for a solution which is as a bit more complicated than it used to be going from XP to XP; it involves getting the data files from Outlook Express copied to the new machine, installing Windows Live Mail (a separate component that you have to download from Microsoft now, which replaces Outlook Express). Importing the mail files from Outlook express, and then exporting them to Outlook PST format. A bit messy really, but it should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Zirconia wrote: »
    Hi gadgetman,

I installed a Win7 PC for a client yesterday with the very same problem; couldn't get the Outlook Express data from XP into Outlook 2007 on the new PC (was it you?) :D

Spent some time today looking for a solution which is as a bit more complicated than it used to be going from XP to XP; it involves getting the data files from Outlook Express copied to the new machine, installing Windows Live Mail (a separate component that you have to download from Microsoft now, which replaces Outlook Express). Importing the mail files from Outlook express, and then exporting them to Outlook PST format. A bit messy really, but it should work.

LOL Zirconia , i think i will stick with my XP ! phew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Zirconia wrote: »
    Hi gadgetman,

Thanks for the reply Zirconia,

I actually thought along those lines a bit yesterday but reckoned, surely you wouldn't need to go that route? but maybe it's the only way?

The Win7 machine is actually a friends & if the emails on the XP machine are not of any importance I'll leave him with his clean accounts & address book on the new machine.

They (MS) don't like to make things anyway straight forward do they?

You'd imagine email transfer would be a given when releasing a new OS :D

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Another option (but equally as long winded!) is to install Office 07 on the XP machine (even 30 day demo would be fine) Then start Outlook and it will ask you if you want to import mail from Outlook Express.

Once thats done just copy the .psd over to the new machine.

gerryR wrote: »
    Another option (but equally as long winded!) is to install Office 07 on the XP machine (even 30 day demo would be fine) Then start Outlook and it will ask you if you want to import mail from Outlook Express.

Once thats done just copy the .psd over to the new machine.

That just might be the way to go (like your thinking) :)

Would the one pst file when exported contain all the emails & folders for all the accounts or would the accounts need to be setup again (or just the passwords?)

-

• Advertisement

One final question.

When using Outlook Express, one had the option to setup different Identities so each individual email account had its own inbox etc. (you could choose to log into each email account individually)

Is there an equivalent option available in Outlook 2007?

Where is it & what is it called?

-

Accounts would need to be setup again in Outlook as far as I can remember but the folder structure of OE should import fine.

In outlook what your looking for is Profiles, can be found in control panel under the mail settings

Just remembered, the mail option is located under the Users section of control panel for windows 7.

hth

Advertisement