Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with tempus one timeswitch

Options
  • 20-12-2009 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

My boiler doesn't fire up for central heating. The hot water works but not central heating. I had major building work in the house and all the radiators were removed over the summer. There are 3 wires coming from the thermostat (honeywell) two red and one black, where would they go on the tempus in relation to wiring diagram N L 1 2 3 4.
    The timer was move and am wondering if was wired correctly.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

killain wrote: »
    My boiler doesn't fire up for central heating. The hot water works but not central heating.
    First of all figure out what is going on. Perhaps the timer is not where the problem lies.
    Perhaps the hot water is being heated by the immersion? With some boilers a timer is not required for domestic hot water, the water is heated as you use it. In this case the boiler detectes a pressure drop when you turn on the hot tap and then fires. When the tap is turned off the boiler turns off. In this situation the time clock is required for central heating.
    I had major building work in the house and all the radiators were removed over the summer.
    I would suggest that you call the builder and get him to send back the electrician and/or plumber to sort it out.

There are 3 wires coming from the thermostat (honeywell) two red and one black, where would they go on the tempus in relation to wiring diagram N L 1 2 3 4.
    I am not trying to avoid the question, but there are many ways this could be wired.

Most stats require 2 wires. Generally (but not always) one from the output of the time clock to the stat. The other from the stat to a zone valve or to the boiler.

How is the timer wired at present?
    Is the display on?
    Have you zone valves?
    Perhaps you have an air lock?
    Are the wires mentioned the only ones at the time clock?
    Are you sure the boiler heats the hot water?
    Have you seen the boiler fire?

Here is how the timer should be wired:

Permanent live (should be brown or red) to the L connection
    Neutral (should be blue or black) to the N connection
    Switched live out to boiler or zone valve or stat (brown or red) to connection 3
    Depending on your boiler (most require this, be warned not all) a link wire is required between L and 1.

My guess (only a guess) is that the timer is wired correctly. There is little chance that an electrician would have got this wrong and you did not say that the display was not lit so I am assuming it has power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

killain wrote: »
    My boiler doesn't fire up for central heating. The hot water works but not central heating. I had major building work in the house and all the radiators were removed over the summer. There are 3 wires coming from the thermostat (honeywell) two red and one black, where would they go on the tempus in relation to wiring diagram N L 1 2 3 4.

Did the heating ever working after all the building work was done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 killain

How is the timer wired at present?
    Is the display on?
    Have you zone valves?
    Perhaps you have an air lock?
    Are the wires mentioned the only ones at the time clock?
    Are you sure the boiler heats the hot water?
    Have you seen the boiler fire?

Here is how the timer should be wired:

Permanent live (should be brown or red) to the L connection
    Neutral (should be blue or black) to the N connection
    Switched live out to boiler or zone valve or stat (brown or red) to connection 3
    Depending on your boiler (most require this, be warned not all) a link wire is required between L and 1.

My guess (only a guess) is that the timer is wired correctly. There is little chance that an electrician would have got this wrong and you did not say that the display was not lit so I am assuming it has power.[/quote]

Thank for your reply.
    Yes there is power on the timer. I'm pretty sure it is wired the way you mentioned. there are no wires connected to 2, should there be any? there is a connection between L and 1. It is a gas boiler and does fire up and produce hot water. Don't have zone valves.

Did the heating ever working after all the building work was done?
    Thanks for your reply. I think it did, can't remember fully. It has been off for most of the year.

Could the thermostat have developed a fault?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is a gas boiler and does fire up and produce hot water
    Automatically when you trun the tap?

Could the thermostat have developed a fault?
    There is not very much to fail in most thermostats. It is possible, but I would doubt that it has failed.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm gonna call an engineer out. Have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

Advertisement