Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N Roses general thread.

Options
  • 20-12-2009 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Decided to make this thread to keep all of the "this is only Axl and friends" out of the tour thread.

So why do the people on this board like/love GNR ?

I'm looking for honest responses in this thread hopefully.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I like Guns N' Roses because they were the first band I ever got into. Back in 1991 I bought Use Your Illusion 1 to go with a fancy tape-playing personal stereo that I'd been given as a present starting secondary school. I had gone into the music shop with no idea what I was going to buy and I only picked uip that album as I remembered an article about the band that had been published in the Sunday Times around the same time.

This is also one of my favourite songs. The feeling and emotion that Slash gets into his guitar parts is just fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I first got into GN'R in 1989. I'd heard a couple of tunes(WTTJ/PC) on the radio and thought they sounded deadly. So one sunday afternoon on the family spin out to my grandparents in Raheny i got my da' to drop me off in town so i could buy AFD. I went into Golden Discs in Mary st. and bought AFD on cassette(still have it) nd put it into my walkman for the spin out to Raheny on the DART. Opening tune,WTTJ was savage but to this day i'll never forget the moment when i heard "it's so easy",in particular the lines "I see you standin' there,
    You think you're so cool,Why don't you just-**** off". The hairs on my arms stood on end and the adrenalin was coursing through me! I think i rewound that bit about 5 times!! For a 15 year old who'd mainly listened to pop music this was a huge shock!

I really got into the band from there,tales of debauchary and drugs etc. just reinforced the "most dangerous band in the world" image,i was hooked. I bought everything i could,t-shirts,unofficial magazines etc.,GN'R Lies came out and just cranked up the anticipation for the next full length album. It all went quiet for a while then,Adler being fired hortly after their Farm aid appearance.

Then came 1991!! The first taste of the forthcoming "use your illusion" albums was the first single,YCBM. I think i seen Terminator 2 about 6 times so i could hear the song until it got released. I loved it,couldn't wait for the new albums. TBH i still enjoy the "illusion" albums,there's some filler on there but i still enjoy listening to them. They hit the road in '91 too and done nothing to dispell their bad boy image,erratic performances,gigs only starting at midnight,riots,it was the stuff of legends.

And then in '92 they arrived on our little island for a show at Slane. I've never been so pumped for a show. A glorious may day,sun shining,Faith No More kicking ass,human pyramids,cardboard coke containers being launched all over the place and being told to stop it,great craic.

Tbh the show was very good but they'd already started to become a circus act,horn players,keyboards,backing singers(tracy and roberta were hot though),i'd rather have seen them as a 5 piece playing the tunes,no "reggae" extensions in songs,horn section solos in MTTC etc. Still a savage day out and a day i'll never forget.

After that it was back to following them through Kerrang/Metal Hammer etc. After the Skin and Bones tour they disappeared off the radar,some solo stuff coming out but it felt like the momentum they'd built up had been lost. "The Spaghetti Incident" came out but seemed to have been only picked up by guns die-hards. And that was pretty much that. "Sympathy for the devil" came out(which i bought) but it was some time later before i knew of the shennanigans behind that song that ultimately resulted in the end of GN'R as i knew it.

I followed all of the former band as they embarked on various other stuff,Slash's Snakepit/Velvet Revolver/Loaded. Like many i hoped they'd all get back together but it became increasingly obvious as the years past that it wasn't going to happen. I gave Axl and his new band a chance,seen them in the RDS in '06,they were pretty good. I bought CD when it came out but i just couldn't get into it tbh. After Axls comments earlier this year re. Slash i decided that was that,i'd lost all interest at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Malice_ wrote: »
    I like Guns N' Roses because they were the first band I ever got into. Back in 1991 I bought Use Your Illusion 1 to go with a fancy tape-playing personal stereo that I'd been given as a present starting secondary school. I had gone into the music shop with no idea what I was going to buy and I only picked uip that album as I remembered an article about the band that had been published in the Sunday Times around the same time.

This is also one of my favourite songs. The feeling and emotion that Slash gets into his guitar parts is just fabulous.

Beautiful song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

For anyone who hasn't read Axl's side of the story here it is:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=133371&st=0

Some of what he said makes sense but I don't always agree with his position. I'd give my right ball to see the original line-up reform but I do not think it will ever happen. It is a pity because when they were in full flight they were unstoppable. Slash is my favourite guitar player of all time and Axl is my favourite singer. Too bad that they can't sort out their differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You have to watch this vid of Estranged!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Why do we need a reason to like Guns 'n' Roses? Surely if we like their music and buy their albums, that's a good enough reason right?

Anyway I like GnR because I think they're a great band and I like their music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭myfatherrsson

I love Guns n Roses so so much...I actually find it hard to think of all the reasons! Their music has influenced me, has related hugely to me and is performed with such power, lyrical and melodic genius that its incomprehendable how they wrote it!!!

My heart breaks because I only got into them 2 years ago and Im 19 so I was never around in their hay-day and can only live in hope to see the members in their respective bands someday! Its actually gutting to know that no band will ever come close to what they had! There isnt a bad song on any of their albums. Their music is also so dynamic!! Im a massive fan of their use of strings and horns. Slash's guitar sings in his hand he is my IDOL! Axl's lyrics are unbelievable...beautiful, powerful and incredibly relevant....you can always find a song to suit your mood!

My favourite songs in no particular order:

Estranged
    Rocket Queen
    Dont Cry (YUI II version)
    Sweet Child of Mine
    One in a Million
    Civil War
    Locomotive

I cant understand how other people cannot love them...fair enough idiots who only love generic, manufactured pop ****...but surely those who actually appreciate good music...anyway thats my two cents on the greatest band who ever lived. Ive decided if ever there was one reunion concert I would pay any price to go see them!!

Just for nostalgia and a great tune,i uploaded Sweet Child O' Mine live from Slane to youtube,it's audio only,and here she is:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

First heard them around 91/92 in my friends house, we used to have Paradise City on repeat it was so awesome! I was only 9 or so at that time and didn't really get into music until my mid teens, which is when I bought AFD & UYI. Slash is also the main reason why I started playing guitar, first thing I did when I bought my guitar was buy all the GNR tab:)

Estranged is probably in my top 5 songs ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

One thing I'm still wondering about is why Axl had to wear those really short shorts? Like what was the point of it? Was there some kind of statement behind it?

• Advertisement

One thing I'm still wondering about is why Axl had to wear those really short shorts? Like what was the point of it? Was there some kind of statement behind it?

'Twas just a fashion thing with him. He started off in leather trousers and cowboy boots in the AFD era,then went to the cycling shorts which then mutated into a kilt and then the lumberjack shirt around the waist. Dunno how many people i seen at Slane wearing the lumberjack shirt around the waist,seemed like most of the crowd had them!!

He re-appeared at the start of the noughties wearing american football shirts(to hide the extra poundage:)) and his hair in cornrows. By '06 it was jeans and shirt,hair not much changed. Now the long straight hair is back. I think he just likes changing his image continuously tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

lord lucan wrote: »
    'Twas just a fashion thing with him. He started off in leather trousers and cowboy boots in the AFD era,then went to the cycling shorts which then mutated into a kilt and then the lumberjack shirt around the waist. Dunno how many people i seen at Slane wearing the lumberjack shirt around the waist,seemed like most of the crowd had them!!

He re-appeared at the start of the noughties wearing american football shirts(to hide the extra poundage:)) and his hair in cornrows. By '06 it was jeans and shirt,hair not much changed. Now the long straight hair is back. I think he just likes changing his image continuously tbh.

Hmmm, I'm just wondering, were really tight shorts ie underpants with that black boots combo ever in fashion, did it look ridiculous in 1992 as much as it does now?

Hmmm, I'm just wondering, were really tight shorts ie underpants with that black boots combo ever in fashion, did it look ridiculous in 1992 as much as it does now?

Yeah it did look ridiculous,there's some things that the fans won't do to look like their idol.:D

He obviously thought it looked cool,maybe he wanted to show off his crotch and arse?!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Decided to make this thread to keep all of the "this is only Axl and friends" out of the tour thread.

I'm looking for honest responses in this thread hopefully.

Well Im a huge black/death metal head, but i still love the Guns, First album I ever listened to was appetite, when I was really young around 8 or 9. and to this day it still rules. still stands the test of time!!! and it sounds even better live!!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

Slash is the man. Nuff said.

Advertisement