Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Freelance Video work.

Options
  • 20-12-2009 3:36am

Hello folks, I'm trying to setup a Freelance company ATM. It's in early days so so far I only have a name and how it will work.

Name of the Video Editing Freelance company is:

iCreateForU

And it's setup easily like:

Email clips with deadline and script + duration + Quality I.E SD or HD 720p or HD 1080p + What he/she wants (Can use video conference software like Skype or iChat + Share screen for E.G) = How much will the job cost + pays a 30% deposit

After Edit Export low quality preview fit for email and send sample to client.

Client likes The finish. Pays final 70% and emails the clip in proper formats etc or Post footage to Address if File is big.

So What do you think of the idea. After I make a few hundred in the first few months I could register with .Me and make a website etc. Any suggestions on what could be done etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

1. iCreateForU - sounds like a cheap infomercial... find a better name.
    2. What credits have you got to your name...? i mean why would someone pay you to edit their video unless you have some experience and/or a showreel
    3, What market are you looking to use your service? the clueless? production companies? rte?

1. I'll take that into account and search for a better name.

2. Over the course of a few weeks I'll put together a presentation and upload it to a youtube channel (most likely the name i choose) i'll choose subjects of Green screen / keying, GFX like fire and other funky things and a intro or two.

3. I plan to target this at small business/ medium business as this is freelance and i doubt rté would come knocking on my door :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

I just don't understand how this differs to what's already on the market.
    But good luck to you all the same.

I just don't understand how this differs to what's already on the market.
    But good luck to you all the same.

Well it's different because I can have the business in my room because of services like paypal and/or skype/ichat where as most freelance companies you have to arrange meet and greet appointments plus this can eventually grow internationally

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not sure how you can remote edit like that, rushes are generally way too big for any kind of cheap email or ftp solution.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    not sure how you can remote edit like that, rushes are generally way too big for any kind of cheap email or ftp solution.

No. I can edit and if it's really big HD I can post them a copy as in anpost or if they want for express delievery they can pay extra for Fedex

i'm just playing devils advocate here but is your only difference from a clients perspective, the fact that you can't come visit you in person? it must all be web based?

i'm just playing devils advocate here but is your only difference from a clients perspective, the fact that you can't come visit you in person? it must all be web based?

they are also being asked to pay part of the fee up front, which would not suit a lot of people. It won't fly imo, clients need to sit in the suite with the craft editor to get what they want within the time available.

Yea but with tools like iChat video conferencing it's in.
    copacetic wrote: »
    they are also being asked to pay part of the fee up front, which would not suit a lot of people. It won't fly imo, clients need to sit in the suite with the craft editor to get what they want within the time available.

Like the reply above with iChat it intergrates with Final Cut Studio 3 so while conferencing the other person can tell us how it wants to be done as the new FCP 7 you can show the canvas etc.

BTW if they are PC they can just download PC AIM then it's all good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Yea but with tools like iChat video conferencing it's in.

i don't think you'll get too much business using this model, producers & directors like to see who they're dealing with and interface 1 to 1, not over a network.

• Advertisement

Hugh_C wrote: »
    i don't think you'll get too much business using this model, producers & directors like to see who they're dealing with and interface 1 to 1, not over a network.

Well ATM I have no money to put into this. It's a small startup starting in a bedroom

how do you get the source material from the client?

Well ATM I have no money to put into this. It's a small startup starting in a bedroom

maybe you can get smaller scale work where they can't afford anything else, but can't see you ever getting work paid for up front. In general, people want to visit a professional looking setup and work directly with their editor. This could be a way to build up a portfolio I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Dude, we all get ideas and brainwaves from time to time that seem like a licence to print money. Fact is, if it was that easy there'd be plenty doing it already. And i can say that from experience.

Honestly, have fun with the idea but please don't waste any money no it, its not going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

what formats can you handle for both ingesting and final output?

can you playout a master hdcam copy should the client need it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Or a D5.......

I dont think this is very well throught thru, small post companies have a lot of money tied up in equipment, I know for sure I did.

Advertisement