Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just wondering what you do?

Options
  • 20-12-2009 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

I moved to my village from Dublin 5 years ago, hunting was something I always wanted to get in; but it took the best part of those five years to get to know people and get permissions from them.

Anyway I have four permisssions so I dropped around a few bottles of wine to them last night to wish them a happy xmas and by way of saying thanks for the permissions and letters.

They where all very taken aback and really suprised with the gesture, so I just wondering do you guys do something similar for the guys who allow you to use their land?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

You don't need other people to validate your own sense of community.

More power to you - you're a credit to your pastime.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Bananaman wrote: »
    You don't need other people to validate your own sense of community.

More power to you - you're a credit to your pastime.

B'Man

I know what you mean, I was just curious if others did similar or do they offer some of what the shoot to the landowner.

TBH it took a good while to get them to trust me around letters and the like, I'm a long distance runner so I started waving at them each time I pasted them when I was training.

At the end of the day they where kind enough to write letters for me, and allow me use of the land so I think they deserve a small thank you in return. And of course hopefully this will open a few more doors for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

dropped a bottle of wine into a landowner yesterday while after rabbits

its no harm

plus he told me to work away on another bit of land he has

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Odysseus wrote: »
    ............. so I just wondering do you guys do something similar for the guys who allow you to use their land?

every year. Plus doing the few odd jobs for them when possible during the off season. Its no harm and helps enforce the trust. Well done to you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

prep the odd heifer or lamb for them and keep the crows off the silage pigeons out of the feed sheds ... etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The bottle of Paddy's is allways welcome when I leave them up to the farmers.
    It's only a small payment for the big amount of enjoyment I get from hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

We never even get a Xmas card from local gun club for shooting over our place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Individuals is one thing, but a club is something different, bad form in my opinion in anyway. As the poster said above its a small thank you for hours of enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Ill happily supply you with a few bottles of paddys or rose. For an odd shot every now and then :D:D

All joking aside poor form on behalf of your gun club!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

All the time.Drop ina bottle /or a box of sweeties to the farmers and their missus.Offered even to do some work on the land if they needed an extra hand,which they refused but noted the gesture.Small gestures go a long way in keeping our shooting rights.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Have the permission from two farmers for deer and each year when it come to renew my licence I give them each a bottle of Jameson just to say thanks. Both of them deem the gesture to be unneccessary as they are only delighted to be rid of the deer but I tell them its only a small return for their own generosity:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Fair play to you, it's a nice gesture, most farmers I meet would be happy enough if hunters closed gates after them and didnt leave rubbish or dead rabbits around.
    We need to send out the right message of our sport, fair play to you your doing a great job.

I give some farmers where I shoot deer bottles of whiskey, Jim Beam, and for game shooting I'm in the local club so the local farmers no I have cover incase I hurt myself, a lot of hunters dont bother to get insurance for theselves, let alone be nice to farmers.

Keep up the good work and happy Xmas.

HJ:)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

That's a fair point about the insurance issue Happyjack.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Every year on the weekend before Christmas I visit the farms I shoot over with a bottle of whiskey and a box of biscuits to say thanks etc. Now on Saturday night I set out from the house in the pitch black as the snow came tumbling down. I had six bottles of bush under my arm and I walked the quarter mile over the fields to old Paddy Kellys house. So we sat in front of his fire and had a craic or two and before you know it the bottle was open and half of it was gone! So then out into the snow again and across to the next farm. By the fourth farm I was langered with still two bottles under my arm. I was so drunk, that if I had fell in snow you would be reading about me in the news today as strangely, been found frozen up a mountain in the middle of field with very high alcohol content and unexplainably, two unopened bottles of Whiskey!
    So with the grace of God I put the last two bottles on their door steps and legged it without knocking the door. When I say legged it, I really mean slipped and fell on my arse as well as wake every dog on the mountain!
    Great Craic and great night though!
    Next morning I spoke with my cousin who I shoot the ground with and who supplied the biscuits, asked me did I find the box that the kids had eaten half off!!! :eek:
    Straight in the car with an emergency back up box of biscuits to the first farm as my cousin kept her between the ditches as fast as he could go on the snowy roads. Paddy seen the funny side of it and said, " I wouldn't have minded but you ate all the F'ing chocolate ones out of it!" :D

Some of these guys, if I don't see them out in the field, I may not see them till next Christmas and I know they all appreciate the thought. Plus they are great for telling me where they are seeing the birds at. ;)

Mallards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Every year our club give a bottle to each landowner. As it's a tradition now for years we know what bottle each prefers...vodka, gin, whiskey, brandy etc.

It's well worth it for the appreciation & goodwill it generates.

Advertisement