Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options
  • 20-12-2009 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Morning folks, lots of action to the north of NI, should send bucket loads of snow across Ulster and North Connacht, i would expect a few showers to make it as far as Dublin during the day but they might not amount to much.

What we want to see is that low dive much further south brining the bands of showers closer.

It will be an ineresting day nonetheless.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Clouded over here now 100% - probably deluding myself for a snow shower (but am hoping!).

-1.4c DP -2.0c

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What we want to see is that low dive much further south brining the bands of showers closer.

Looking at the radar and sat, I think this is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Can't see my location getting any showers but delighted for everyone in the North and West who are waking to Snow. I recorded a temp of -5.2c so I'm happy with that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looking at the radar and sat, I think this is a possibility.

it is starting to happen there is a shower joined to a large band over donegal only 10miles as the crow flys sky out there really dark

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good morning from the Blue Stacks, Donegal.

It was surprising to see such a thin and patchy covering on the mountains, given that there is a good inch in the courtyard etc.

Mixed sky and a bitter knife of a wind. Heavy clouds and clear blue.

The dogs love it; raced around leaving tracks everywhere.

Abandoned any thought of car boot sale; too much risk on these roads given the forecast. Would hate to get stranded in B'shannon or Donegal Town...

quote=Weathercheck;63580856]Morning folks, lots of action to the north of NI, should send bucket loads of snow across Ulster and North Connacht, i would expect a few showers to make it as far as Dublin during the day but they might not amount to much.

It will be an ineresting day nonetheless.[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭steevee

light snow shower just started in gormanstown north dublin.Lovely frozen ground for it to land on yipee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Heavy clouds coming in from the west, looks like its snowing to the north of me just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Good morning Grace.. greets from Donegal Town. Very few cars on the bypass. The silence is beautiful. I think you made a wise decision not to head for Ballyshannon.
    picture423copy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Been snowing in Trim the last 20 min or so. Just easing off now. Has left a nice dusting over the frost :D

Irish; thank you.

And what a photo!!! WOW...

it is charity work and I lacerate myself when I have to miss like this. The need is so great.

So it is good to have this decision affirmed!

Even going down from here would be hazardous. Snow is hard on the lanes and icy.

And imagining trying to get back up if the snowfall is high.

If it is bad there will be few out anyways.

And yes, the utter silence... Wil take the dogs out again soon and try for photos.. no idea how to upload here.
    irish1967 wrote: »
    Good morning Grace.. greets from Donegal Town. Very few cars on the bypass. The silence is beautiful. I think you made a wise decision not to head for Ballyshannon.
    picture423copy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just downloaded my Davis data and am not surprised to see that it has recorded 6 days of frost so far this month:

99501.jpg

Current monthly mean here is 4.3c. :cool: There is about 1cm of snow in the rain bucket waiting to melt and record too. The outside of it is pure white at the moment as opposed to its usual black, with the harsh frost outside. :)

Finer, Belmullet and Malin Head all showing NW gusts on the 0800 reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Hard frost here but dry,although I can see those yellowy looking clouds to the north, maybe they'll make it here. Probably not....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

Brief flurry of snow 15mins ago - near Bettystown Co Meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Kered75

Snow on the ground in Athboy,still falling and getting heavier

Yeah grace gotta make a trip down into town myself and also to Mountcharles... think the jeep rather than the Audi is a good option today.

Hasn't snowed here in Donegal Town since before 7am.. the red blobs on Raintoday don't seem as accurate this morning as they did last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

some snow day this is all the heavy shower are coming right over me and going to the mountain behind me aswell as this the snow is beginning to melt if these showers dnt speed up im never gonna get 10cm i must be the only place in ni above freezing...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

What are the conditions in and around Dublin at the moment?

I have to embark on a car trip from Limerick to Dublin at some stage later today . . . need to be extra vigilant me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

I'm in Tallaght just at the foot of the Dublin Mountains, hills are covered in snow and just had the dog out for a run and had a good 10 minute snow shower. Sky is very dark and its the kinda sky you see when snow is on the way, if that makes sense.;)

Yes, four wheel drive works; only a wee car/van here.

I am staying put. Stocked up on Friday when the forecast was hard. Was at Mountcharles then too. It must look glorious now.

Pretty sky now.

Stay safe.
    irish1967 wrote: »
    Yeah grace gotta make a trip down into town myself and also to Mountcharles... think the jeep rather than the Audi is a good option today.

Hasn't snowed here in Donegal Town since before 7am.. the red blobs on Raintoday don't seem as accurate this morning as they did last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

a light dusting here,clouds are black all around but nothing falling from them :confused:

hope theres a lot more to come after watching this thread for what nearly 2 weeks now,this is dissapointing to say the least :(
    hope the rest of you got a good amount :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

What are the conditions in and around Dublin at the moment?

I have to embark on a car trip from Limerick to Dublin at some stage later today . . . need to be extra vigilant me thinks.

been out and about this morning and there are some lethal patches around Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A nice bright 4c morning here. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

been out and about this morning and there are some lethal patches around Limerick.

Aye, I have been out and around Newport earlier for a walk and the roads dont look too appealing. Im going to leave it until around 12 before I leave, the worst part could be actually getting onto the N7 . . . having to use all of those back roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Beautiful bright crisp morning here, temps still negative outside by the looks of it. Don't think the snow is going to come this direction by the looks of things :(

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

About an inch or so on the ground in Kells. Roads are in a really bad state, gf nearly lost her car 3 times on the N3 and had to turn back.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eireanbo

glorious snow here in longford.....more more more

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Western_sean

Snowing very lightly in the burren. Is there any truth to the old saying that small flakes mean a lot of snow?

Donegal town about to get a shower now. Can see it coming. Neighbour looking at me strangely cause I am standing in the snow in the middle of the road typing this. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Yeah the roads are lethal this morning, take care!!

Snow in Enniskillen, just under an inch at present, dry and bright still morning, plenty of dark clouds over the Donegal Direction; lets hope it continues to snow, and snow and snow!! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement