Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

RTE are saying that the heavy snow showers will sweep nationwide later on tonight.

where?!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Harps wrote: »
    Sleet all day in Letterkenny, still got a good 5cm on the ground from last night and now with ther sun gone the sleet is turning back to snow. Just had a shower now with quite a bit of snow in it so I can see quite a bit more added tonight

I'd be delighted if it wasnt for the fact Im supposed to be going home for Christmas tomorrow, could be stranded in the town at this rate:D

Just out for a walk there and its up to 2 inches in places here.

Just a sleet shower there and it isn't really thawing out. Roads will be treacherous tonight.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

It has gotten bitterly cold here in Enniskillen. Recon it's around 0 now, as the snow - and the water from the snow melting has re-frozen over the car!!
    Looking at the radar there appears to be an organsied band of cloud (snow?) gathering momentum out in the North Sea, I;d say 60 - 80 miles from Donegal, looks to be heading our way too.... Could Ireland get a covering yet?? Here's Hoping!! :D

where?!

Probably on RTE's website..LOL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

where?!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1220/travel.html
    Showers of hail and snow fell in Ulster and Connaught last night and are expected to spread across the country tonight.

• Advertisement

Jake1 wrote: »
    Probably on RTE's website..LOL

show me the link..can't find it!

not on the aertel update at 4..just the same places north and west.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

It has gotten bitterly cold here in Enniskillen. Recon it's around 0 now, as the snow - and the water from the snow melting has re-frozen over the car!!
    Looking at the radar there appears to be an organsied band of cloud (snow?) gathering momentum out in the North Sea, I;d say 60 - 80 miles from Donegal, looks to be heading our way too.... Could Ireland get a covering yet?? Here's Hoping!! :D

Looking at way its developing on the below radar it looks pretty likely to me.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Snowing yet AGAIN !! Got really dark too, I'd say this shower will bring a nice bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Got some pics in Longford too. Still a thick layer of snow all over

4199441765_3c43181491.jpg
    4199438245_9db4a420e9.jpg
    Cherryghost spacing out :P
    4199439767_f6295b515e.jpg
    And after realising I took that pic :rolleyes:
    4199437503_a283c178c4.jpg
    4200196812_941c5d019c.jpg

Full set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

am looking on nw as well and can't see about it..what forum?

i think it was in one of the will it snow threads. i can't remember which one exactly. sorry.

it must not be a real possibility as i don't see discussion of it on the main netweather forum. someone here would also be posting a satellite image and talking about it if it were likely. apologies if i got anyones hopes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Northwesterlies/Northerlies rarely deliver in Dublin/Wicklow/Wexford. The heavy showers that form off the N/NW coasts slam into the coast, track for a 100/150km max then just die out. For a Northerly/Nw to deliver to the whole of Ireland the presence of more organized bands of showers is essential, a thing that is doubtfully going to happen these days...anyway i'm happy - frost didn't melt all day and it's freezingggg :D

My fingers and toes hurt from crossing them for snow for Dublin tonight. That satellit chart looks promising to my un-expert eye.

here in Lucan the clouds are lovely, some look saucer shaped, just hanging in the air, pinks and purples. Lovely.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

patneve wrote: »
    For a Northerly/Nw to deliver to the whole of Ireland the presence of more organized bands of showers is essential, a thing that is doubtfully going to happen these days

Look at the satellite - looks like a pretty organised trough to me? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

nice pics popple3 are you looking to get into vogue:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

i think it was in one of the will it snow threads. i can't remember which one exactly. sorry.

it must not be a real possibility as i don't see discussion of it on the main netweather forum. someone here would also be posting a satellite image and talking about it if it were likely. apologies if i got anyones hopes up.

Yeah it is mentioned at about 1500 in the NW forum... I was just watching that unusual clump myself.. hoping for a head on collision with South Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

DOCARCH wrote: »

yeah we'd need an expert here now...all I can say is that the wind coming from the west isn't positive...would be great if we had a raging northerly wind now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

patneve wrote: »
    yeah we'd need an expert here now...all I can say is that the wind coming from the west isn't positive...would be great if we had a raging northerly wind now

The wind might be from the west but that is moving southwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

well whatever about getting more organised snow showers tonight. it's going to be damn cold tonight. i wonder will we see a -5 or six anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Frost beginning to form here once again. Current temp +0.5c. Roads are going to be lethal tonight after the brief thaw refreezes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Gotten very dark now, snowing heavily, visibility has gone way down in the last 15 minutes.

Docarch if you wouldnt mind please, could you give a guestimate of, if these snow showers where to hit Dublin, apprrox what ime would you say, would it be later tonight or this evening?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I can't see the East getting anything tonight. I had -5.2c last night could be the same again if not lower tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=34091&posts=34&start=1

there was a bit of chat about a polar low here as well but it seems to have fizzled out - pity
    snowing again in Galway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The problem i see is that the bands just seem to be eroding once they move south abit. I do expect increased shower activity overnight but not too sure of the extent.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Would anyone be able to guess/estimate the conditions along the M4/M6 from Dublin to Offaly this evening and early in the morning. I am of a mixed feeling about driving but then again I was told this morning would be very bad and turned out to be pretty ok apart from nearly breaking my neck on ice just walking to my car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

again for the 90th time what can i expect or could someone just give a detailed reposnse to what ulster/ni should expect tonight, temp must be approaching 0c now so it could be possible for the snow to lie.......

owenc wrote: »
    again for the 90th time what can i expect or could someone just give a detailed reposnse to what ulster/ni should expect tonight, temp must be approaching 0c now so it could be possible for the snow to lie.......

I think in fairness the people here on this site give their upmost to help us all. That demanding attitude is not nessecary. We are constantly asking questions. They are not here to service us all indiviually, they are just being kind by answering. No need to be cranky with people.
    Chill out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Weathercheck, the link in your sig is just an advertisment page similar to that of an expired hosting site.. I presume you are aware of this but if not, just letting you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 john 1994

i would like to now if limerick will get snow tonite

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement