Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Jake1 wrote: »
    I think in fairness the people here on this site give their upmost to help us all. That demanding attitude is not nessecary. We are constantly asking questions. They are not here to service us all indiviually, they are just being kind by answering. No need to be cranky with people.
    Chill out.

yea i asked like 10 times and got an answer but it was not detailed i was just wondering what to expect tonight snow wise we just had a grapuel shower not lying ground wet 0c too but still not lying really just wondering.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bremner

Graces7 wrote: »
    From past long experience of that road, it may well be blocked.

After Killybegs it will get very hairy; are you in a four wheel drive? If not, would wait, to be honest. I got stuck on a hill on the way in on Ash Weds a few years back.

Can you postpone?

Thanks Graces7. Postponed until tomorrow or Tuesday. Need to get up as herself wants to get back to mammy well before Christmas...What's it like in Donegal now? Was there a thaw at all?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The analysis is more active on the model front over on TWO than on NW which has been pretty dead during this spell. It seems there is still no real feel as to how Christmas day will pan out... come on east winds, we could do with a turn on the eastern side of the country :pac:

I'm green with envy at this stage seeing winter wonderland scenes from other parts of the country and the UK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

TomTom wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to guess/estimate the conditions along the M4/M6 from Dublin to Offaly this evening and early in the morning. I am of a mixed feeling about driving but then again I was told this morning would be very bad and turned out to be pretty ok apart from nearly breaking my neck on ice just walking to my car.

Hi TomTom main roads that are treated should be fine but keep and eye on http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm and always allow extra time for your trip and stay well back from the car in front.

OwenC the showers are scattered so nobody can give you an exact forecast imo you will see more snow perhaps up to 5cms and it will also freeze but these showers develop fast and die fast and aren't in a straight line.

John 1994 Limerick imo may see some snow flurries but very much everywhere will see frost so untreated roads will be icy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Felixdhc wrote: »
    The analysis is more active on the model front over on TWO than on NW which has been pretty dead during this spell. It seems there is still no real feel as to how Christmas day will pan out... come on east winds, we could do with a turn on the eastern side of the country :pac:

I'm green with envy at this stage seeing winter wonderland scenes from other parts of the country and the UK!!!

The multiple thread system is terrible IMO, spreads all the members out and you end up missing all interesting members and have to trawl through numerous threads, much prefered it when it was small, lost its touch for me.

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    Hi TomTom main roads that are treated should be fine but keep and eye on http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm and always allow extra time for your trip and stay well back from the car in front.

OwenC the showers are scattered so nobody can give you an exact forecast imo you will see more snow perhaps up to 5cms and it will also freeze but these showers develop fast and die fast and aren't in a straight line.

John 1994 Limerick imo may see some snow flurries but very much everywhere will see frost so untreated roads will be icy

ok sorry if i was moaning thank you was just wondering and was worrying because temps are 0c and all weve had was grapuel which made the concrete wetter but itll freeze soon hopefully maybe snow by 1800 would be good:D

The multiple thread system is terrible IMO, spreads all the members out and you end up missing all interesting members and have to trawl through numerous threads, much prefered it when it was small, lost its touch for me.

Yeah its terrible, since they did that a week or so ago its impossible to follow anything. At least TWO are keeping up with the models somewhat, I hadn't really been looking over there yet this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

owenc wrote: »
    yea i asked like 10 times and got an answer but it was not detailed i was just wondering what to expect tonight snow wise we just had a grapuel shower not lying ground wet 0c too but still not lying really just wondering.....

There are bands of snow to your north which will push over you in the coming hours, you should have a decent fall of snow. They are making slow progress south however as the driving LP over Scotland slowly sinks south. They will hit you on the north coast in the coming hours i would imagine and then slowly slip south overnight probably breaking up as they move south.

The air in the region is considerably unstable and extremely cold and commas and other organised areas of precip may arise and affect all of us but this is simply a nowcast situation and at the moment isn't in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Close to an inch has fallen in the past hour, all the tracks made by cars and footprints outside have disappeared.

There are bands of snow to your north which will push over you in the coming hours, you should have a decent fall of snow. They are making slow progress south however as the driving LP over Scotland slowly sinks south. They will hit you on the north coast in the coming hours i would imagine and then slowly slip south overnight probably breaking up as they move south.

The air in the region is considerably unstable and extremely cold and commas and other organised areas of precip may arise and affect all of us but this is simply a nowcast situation and at the moment isn't in place.

again thx very much, going by the radar what you said and the other person excuse me forget names i should expect snow falling for a couple of hours tonight and hopefully a good covering!

• Advertisement

Any thoughts yet for Christmas day, chances of another easterly shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looking beyond Wednesday is probably just guessing really but below looks good:

Rtavn2042.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

the northerly always seems to break up - was expecting more from it. sleet here earlier with odd flake of snow in cork so hopefully a few more heavy ones will give some snow later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

weathercheck I just want to say I think your doing a great job and the other forecasters who know there stuff,

I know im not in Ireland but I look forward to reading your detailed analysis, it makes for good reading,

once again to all you weather people who know your stuff thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Close to an inch has fallen in the past hour, all the tracks made by cars and footprints outside have disappeared.

would like a top up here too, to cover the stuff that has melted. if you could see your way to sending the snow down to me i'd be appreciative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

cian1500ww wrote: »

Sounds crazy up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Cold and frosty here. Haven't checked my temps yet but they should be dropping. Roads around the estate are icy still so that can only get worse. Driving should be hairy later.

To the people shouting about whether they'll get snow or not tonight... lads all this stuff is showers. You might not get snow but your mate 3 miles down the road might. The insistent tones on here are terrible. The lads here do a good job but nobody here afaik can see the futuere. You might have more look over on the paranormal forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

the northerly always seems to break up - was expecting more from it. sleet here earlier with odd flake of snow in cork so hopefully a few more heavy ones will give some snow later.

Hi munsterlegend, since you seem to know what you are talking about and you are from cork do you think snow could reach cork city and its surroundings, id really appreciate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Hi munsterlegend, since you seem to know what you are talking about and you are from cork do you think snow could reach cork city and its surroundings, id really appreciate it?

i'm far from an expert! the showers seem to be fizzling out as they move inland from the coast. need a more organised band to reach cork city - at the moment looks unlikely but maybe just maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just this very minute seen a huge shooting star while standing outside for a smoke :eek: It move from the NW to the SE and just went out in the eastern sky. It was almost like a flash of lightning! :eek:

Anyone else spot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Any sign of a polar low? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Any sign of a polar low? :D

The low over the north tip of scotland is doing its utmost

images.php?country=gb&sat=ir&1220913684609

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

i'm far from an expert! the showers seem to be fizzling out as they move inland from the coast. need a more organised band to reach cork city - at the moment looks unlikely but maybe just maybe.

Ok, Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

would like a top up here too, to cover the stuff that has melted. if you could see your way to sending the snow down to me i'd be appreciative.
    baraca wrote: »
    Sounds crazy up there.
    It's amazing, haven't seen anything like it in years. Roads are deadly here atm. Too dark to take pics, but heres two from earlier:
    16267_1072348025847_1740556339_143621_4695621_n.jpg

16267_1072348105849_1740556339_143622_1192175_n.jpg

You can add another inch to that now, maybe closer to 2 inches :eek: All those car tracks you see in the first photo are completely gone now, just a nice blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The problem i see is that the bands just seem to be eroding once they move south abit. I do expect increased shower activity overnight but not too sure of the extent.

Thanks, looking at the radar again I can see what you mean. How come the same thing does not seem to happen the bands when they hit Scotland/England ?

Opr

Villain wrote: »
    Looking beyond Wednesday is probably just guessing really but below looks good:

Rtavn2042.png
    Thats an interesting chart.
    It would advect cold surface air in from the East.
    Thats going to be totally necessary to keep the cold going and to avoid a rainfest as the uppers are poor enough.
    The Northwesterly and this current low is locally doing the business but could not cope with an atlantic invasion.
    Rain would win all the way.
    We need heights to rise to the NE and a return of the beasterly.
    theres too much maratime in the current set up ,humidity therefore and dewpoint is too high making it marginal..too marginal.

Impossible to predict at this stage whats going to happen/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's my guess that the low will spin South and increase the shower activity for all of us late tonight.
    I can't understand why Met Eireann don't think so.

As to 'will it snow in Cork?', we certainly have a chance with a Westerly wind. Expect surprises over the next 4 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

Starting to snow again :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just this very minute seen a huge shooting star while standing outside for a smoke :eek: It move from the NW to the SE and just went out in the eastern sky. It was almost like a flash of lightning! :eek:

Anyone else spot?

Could it actually have been lightening??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 john 1994

in limerick it has gone very dark and cloudy i tink were going to get alot of snow in the next hour/?:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement