Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

mistake sorry

what would this fax chart (24hrs) bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

john 1994 wrote: »
    in limerick it has gone very dark and cloudy i tink were going to get alot of snow in the next hour/?:D

Its gone very dark in Carlow too........thats because its 5.30pm! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It's my guess that the low will spin South and increase the shower activity for all of us late tonight.
    I can't understand why Met Eireann don't think so.

As to 'will it snow in Cork?', we certainly have a chance with a Westerly wind. Expect surprises over the next 4 days

hmm but all the shower activity from the north dies a death when it hits land here. i think the odd place might get the odd shower but nothing widespread. but what do i know - hope i am way wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

patneve wrote: »
    showers to northwest and north by the look of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

2vii8ic.jpg

Question for the experts, any chance that could be a polar low forming? You can see the circulation on the loop : http://www.sat24.com/scan

Someone mentioned it on the TWO forums and I thought it looked interesting too but I've very little knowledge on polar lows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

Think it all depends on what way the low center moves.
    If it continues to push due south over Scotland as predicted by that chart we could get a fair amount of snow over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its gone very dark in Carlow too........thats because its 5.30pm! :p
    lol my thoughts exactly, plus its one of the shortest days of the year :D

On a different not , im starting to get browned off with the cold spell, not gettin much snow at all here in donegal, snow is nearly all gone now from last nite , all the forecasts of blizzards and accumlations didnt go near me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

I wish Dublin would see some of the white stuff. All were gettin here is freezing temps and the odd rain/sleet shower :(

A lot of snow to NW England and the East of NI and eventually N Wales.

I'm focused on Easterlies now hopefully bringing in decent low dewpoints by thursday if it works out that way.
    Uppers will be as useless as they are now but don't matter as much if the precip doesn't travel through air thats above freezing on it's way down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pangea wrote: »

On a different note , im starting to get browned off with the cold spell, not gettin much snow at all here in donegal, snow is nearly all gone now from last nite , all the forecasts of blizzards and accumlations didnt go near me :(

My thoughts exactly.. all it has done is rain here since about 10am.. not a decent flake ! As for winds??? Not here either !! With all the chat about the NW getting it worse I think every other county has now got as much as we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

2vii8ic.jpg

Question for the experts, any chance that could be a polar low forming? You can see the circulation on the loop : http://www.sat24.com/scan

Someone mentioned it on the TWO forums and I thought it looked interesting too but I've very little knowledge on polar lows.

That won't be coming near us i dont think but looks like it could be one alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

yea this event is crap and all the snow has nearly melted here to leavve soggy grounds with no chance of snow lying i think even though temps are around 0c will just have to wait though no expectant of snow tonight if conditions are the same by 10pm i give up.

edit: temp has gone up to 1c and snow is never going to lie in this what a depressing sunday night......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Just back after a trip into Limerick city.

Not a snow flake n Limerick although it appears I missed snow shower in West Limerick as there was a little more on the driveway when I returned. Also it has started to freeze again and this has been evident on the minor roads which have not been salted.

irish1967 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly.. all it has done is rain here since about 10am.. not a decent flake ! As for winds??? Not here either !! With all the chat about the NW getting it worse I think every other county has now got as much as we have.
    I think every other county got more than us in south donegal ! well in northern ireland anyways! Look at leitrim ,that seems to have gotten the heaviest , Any reports on Letterkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

On a different not , im starting to get browned off with the cold spell, not gettin much snow at all here in donegal, snow is nearly all gone now from last nite , all the forecasts of blizzards and accumlations didnt go near me :(

as a forecaster said during last February's cold spell, "you can never turn your back on snow":pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

I noticed a few posters from north cork on here today so a quick warning.My daughter just drove home 4 and a half miles from doneraile village and it took 25 minutes .the roads are like glass so be careful out there

Any idea if these showers that seem to be moving south will hit Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

francosp wrote: »

We simply don't know.

Personally i would expect one or 2 light ones to push through overnight at least with a dusting.

francosp wrote: »

doubt it, no forecast says so and it to me it seems highly unlikely (we rarely do well in these setups)

• Advertisement

We simply don't know.

Personally i would expect one or 2 light ones to push through overnight at least with a dusting.

We always seem to miss out on any of these snow events. Still, hopefully we can get to see some snow lying before this cold spell is over !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Been watching that cluster off the antrim and W scottish coast since midday....it seems that as the precip streams southwards that it's either petering out or encountering some sort of dry air or blockage. Was full sure it'd be snowing here by now, but it's looking less likely (to my untrained eye). Might get another dusting tonight and a hard frost on top, like last night (thermo bottomed at -4C last night, and I'm only half mile from the coast).

Light snow in west clare. gentle breeze from nw. 0C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I think every other county got more than us in south donegal ! well in northern ireland anyways! Look at leitrim ,that seems to have gotten the heaviest , Any reports on Letterkenny?

Still plenty here since last night, nothing but sleet all day though. I was just out for a walk to the shop and its still a good 5 or 6 cm everywhere that hasnt been walked on

We've been getting showers every half an hour or so all day so Id say later on it'll turn back to snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 john 1994

very disapointed clear skys in limerick does anybody know if were spodt to get snow tonite???

Just seen the rte news ,gerry murphy said there would be snow in coastal counties of ulster and connaught, Im confused, I thought the coast would get less snow than inland counties? :confused:

Tactical wrote: »
    Just back after a trip into Limerick city.

Not a snow flake n Limerick although it appears I missed snow shower in West Limerick as there was a little more on the driveway when I returned. Also it has started to freeze again and this has been evident on the minor roads which have not been salted.
    heavy shower coming your way Tactical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 john 1994

if you look on google earth the precipitation and cloud from scotland seems to be flowing town ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Another brief light snow shower here in West Limerick.

Not enough to settle and only north facing hills having any light dusting not melted today.

With the roads wet from melting snow and the minor roads not salted by the council things could be pretty hairy throughout the night and in the morning as people go to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

john 1994 wrote: »
    very funny..:cool: are we spost to get snow tonite ??

No.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement