Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

o.4c here in the ballyhoura mts outside Doneraile and light snow (graupel?) falling

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8423251.stm

some nice pictures of the snow across europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

john 1994 wrote: »
    i live in limerick and theres so snow just clear skys

Right John,

Can you please type proper English and stop repeating yourself or i will have to give you a 10 day ban as you are becoming abit of a nuisance.

Thanks alot.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

itss rubbish here a no snow event my mum says in derry it is snowing but once you get here which is higher up and further awy from the sea its raining may it be grapel? earlier and everytime a shower came today it was of graupel before it got dark it was grapel temp is currently 0.5c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The organised band of showers to the northwest of Scotland is a comma cloud, corresponding to a H500 vorticity maximum. The GFS has this vort max making it south over the country tonight, so while today's showers died out due to lack of support as they moved south, I expect there will be a lot more upper support tonight, and a lot more parts of the country will see some action later tonight/early tomorrow morning. Not sure if the extreme south applies here though, as even this upper support will collapse and showers will die out accordingly before making it there.

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    itss rubbish here a no snow event my mum says in derry it is snowing but once you get here which is higher up and further awy from the sea its raining may it be grapel? earlier and everytime a shower came today it was of graupel before it got dark it was grapel temp is currently 0.5c
    Are you close to the sea, i think you may just be missing the showers.

As said earlier the north coast may just be too exposed with the maritime air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

sorry but im the head of the W.W.I. so i tink i should be treated with a bit of respect..........

I guess ill see you in ten days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Su Campu wrote: »
    The organised band of showers to the northwest of Scotland is a comma cloud, corresponding to a H500 vorticity maximum. The GFS has this vort max making it south over the country tonight, so while today's showers died out due to lack of support as they moved south, I expect there will be a lot more upper support tonight, and a lot more parts of the country will see some action later tonight/early tomorrow morning. Not sure if the extreme south applies here though, as even this upper support will collapse and showers will die out accordingly before making it there.

So am I right in thinking this is the "polar low" we've been hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Wohooooo!!!!! We got SNOW!!!!!!!!! in Limerick city, huge amounts falling right now!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

bugger! Its stopped already

• Advertisement

Are you close to the sea, i think you may just be missing the showers.

As said earlier the north coast may just be too exposed with the maritime air.

no im a good 10 miles inland and this derry place is closer to the sea........ ill the showers turn more snowier later on then........ will watch the next shower coming in now to see what it falls as.....

if you look on google earth the precipitation and cloud from scotland seems to be flowing town ireland

seriously are you feelig alright!:D

I hope yis get the snow over there were getting here it just dropped 2 inches in 40 mins,

its not big flakes but its non stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Rougies wrote: »
    I am I right in thinking this is the "polar low" we've been hoping for?

Not quite, there's nothing in the satellite signature to suggest a polar low, and upper temperatures are not quite cold enough. But let's say it's the polar low's 2nd cousin - which is about all we can hope for at this stage! :)

fintonie wrote: »
    I hope yis get the snow over there were getting here it just dropped 2 inches in 40 mins,

its not big flakes but its non stop.

are you down south?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I have a question or two if you don't mind, whats a polar low and what does the formation of one over scotland mean for us?
    Whats grapple, or however you spell it?
    Whats W.W.I (apart from being World War One)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

It snowed here in and around Tralee this morning at around 7.30 am, and stayed for a good bit, but from about 12pm it started melting and rain came about 2pm. Just home now though, and temp is after dropping and there was some very heavy snow/sleet falling. Seems to be sticking as well.

Surprisingly again, mountains dont have a very white cap of snow on them, might change over night if these heavy showers keep going across Kerry

TomTom wrote: »
    I have a question or two if you don't mind, whats a polar low and what does the formation of one over scotland mean for us?

probably world wide internet knowing john1994 lol:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Su Campu wrote: »
    Not quite, there's nothing in the satellite signature to suggest a polar low, and upper temperatures are not quite cold enough. But let's say it's the polar low's 2nd cousin - which is about all we can hope for at this stage! :)

but what exactly will this second cousin bring if it comes? will we see prolonged showers rather than a 2-3 hour widespread snow event. by the way according to Gerry Murphy there is a chance of a white christmas. after that he seems confident that it will be much milder by st stephens day.

Thant youngin is taking a hiatus from here now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 john 1994

is it snowing in limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_low

Can't help with the W.W.I, I don't think even john 1994 knows :rolleyes:

owenc wrote: »
    are you down south?

no Bolton England it has now turned to big flakes and is falling very fast but I hope it travels over to yis:)

W.W.I. STANDS FOR WEATHER WATCH IRELAND

is it snowing in limerick

thank god :) premature I taught you said it was snowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

you take annoying to a whole new level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

lmao
    youre a funny lad

fintonie wrote: »
    thank god :) premature I taught you said it was snowing

thank god is right imagine how he wouldve reacted if he didnt get his delerious snow!:D

is it still snowing in limerick,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Good to see you're doing so much watching then mate. Stop shouting for gods sake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement