Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

TomTom wrote: »
    I have a question or two if you don't mind, whats a polar low and what does the formation of one over scotland mean for us?
    Whats grapple, or however you spell it?
    Whats W.W.I (apart from being World War One)?

A Polar Low/Arctic Hurricane is a small scale low pressure circulation that forms arctic outbreaks similar to the one we're experiencing. On a satellite picture they sometimes even have an eye, like a tropical hurricane. In fact polar lows are warm core systems, like hurricanes.

plsa22.gif

A lot of things have to some together for one to form. Here's a perfect piece that will explain everything.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/docu/Manual/SatManu/main.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

john 1994 wrote: »
    is it still snowing in limerick,

Thanks, no need for the continuous updates though....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I don't know, look out your window and you'll know! ffs....

Why is he still here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

flip we dnt know we arnt there look on the bleeping radar and i thought you were a weather warner!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 john 1994

o my god it is snowing heavy in limerick

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

He is providing a little entertainment though.

Cheers for the info.

Watching the tempratures of APC environmental systems drop ever so slowly here, just hope the roads are ok for the drive home.

o my god it is snowing heavy in limerick

Good for you, hopefully you will get 10000 cm by the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Rougies wrote: »
    I don't know, look out your window and you'll know! ffs....

Why is he still here?

He's not anymore, banned for a week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Hmm. The first snow that has managed to fall and not instantly melt has just fallen here in Castletroy, Limerick. Light dusting of about 1 cm onto the ice that recently formed with a light rain/sleet shower at about 18.00 or so. Looks like driving conditions locally in the area are suitable for people to do proper donuts in cars, going by the sounds I hear in the distance.
    I've to be in work in Galway in the morning - do I go now and deal with worsening conditions, or do I leave it until 6am?

Either way it's nice to see a bit of snow again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I have a small dusting of snow here from last night and today.

I have been extremely unlucky as its snowing just a few miles to my south and west and some of those heavier showers just died over,
    am not too hopeful of any more showers:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Can't see any more of those showers breaking away much further than the North and NW coasts and along the west coast too. I don't see the Scotland organized weather making inroads either, but I could be wrong.

Just a few flakes today nothing more here so good luck to those who saw some. The week ahead forecast is unbelievably complex, a battle is brewing between milder weather and this cold air. Whoever gets caught in the middle will be in for fun and games.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

trogdor wrote: »
    He's not anymore, banned for a week:)

I tried to ban him! Must of pressed the wrong button. Do you have to tick the box aswell ye?

:eek::o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Awful roads out there all, take care.

Just driven from Limerick to home, about an inch sitting on ice on the local roads.

I tried to ban him! Must of pressed the wrong button. Do you have to tick the box aswell ye?

:eek::o

Hehe i dunno i went onto the access lists on the modutils page and banned him there, we're both so experienced:p job done now though:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Anyone reckon Meath/Navan area will get snow tonight/tomorrow?:confused:

Defcol wrote: »
    Anyone reckon Meath/Navan area will get snow tonight/tomorrow?:confused:

Potentially you might scrape a shower in the next hour, is one moving down.

I think you will over night as that front edges slowly south.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Heres hoping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Heres a nice description of a polar low from Bill Giles which summarizes the basics and give and idea of what to look for -Polar Lows and the Weather By Bill Giles OBE.

Conditions at the moment are ripe for one to form...but are notoriously fickle and hard to predict, just keep an eye on the satellite images for little rotating features off scotland and wiggles in the isobars on the likes of xcweather.co.uk (and frenzied posting by the usual suspects here! ;) )

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Some "pathetic" sleet here in North Kerry..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Popoutman wrote: »
    I've to be in work in Galway in the morning - do I go now and deal with worsening conditions, or do I leave it until 6am?

Either way it's nice to see a bit of snow again!

Def nice to see snow. There was a distinct lack of it today at 3pm when I was leaving Castletroy and I'm glad to hear some arrived there.

As for the journey to work... About two hours ago I'd have suggested to go but reckon its getting too late now. The main roads shouldn't be to bad, it really depends on how much driving you'd need to do on roads that are potentially are similar in condition to those locally. Hard call, going now means you have plenty of time to make your destination but I'm guessing you'll have been awake all day so won't be 100% fresh for a journey under current conditions.

Either now or in the morning you'll be driving in the dark, so perhaps hedge your bets, get an early night the head off in plenty of time in the morning when you're fresh and better able to concentrate. If you think you've allowed enough time then I'd still suggest allowing more time as you have to drive for other road users as well as yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Am I right in thinking tonight will follow the same pattern as last night here in Tyrone? As the temps drop, snow moves south and gives us a good dumping.

I'm asking as I'm due to leave for Dublin at 4.30 tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nothing new here , its windy outside and wet, its been kinda raining on and off all day. No frost yet, gona go out for my walk now.
    Ricky91t wrote: »
    Some "pathetic" sleet here in North Kerry..
    Sleet sucks, like it doesnt know if its rain or snow , make up ur mind god dammit lol

The echoes approaching the north coast are so impressive something has to come of them, if they move ashore they should stay well inland i reckon.

have worked out we are in the maritime air and the vilage eglinton about 10 miles above me isnt so theyve got snow and ive got sleety rain at 0.4c this is unfair im so sad is there any way this will turn to snow im so jealous because im both higher and fuher inland than them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Su Campu wrote: »
    The organised band of showers to the northwest of Scotland is a comma cloud, corresponding to a H500 vorticity maximum. The GFS has this vort max making it south over the country tonight, so while today's showers died out due to lack of support as they moved south, I expect there will be a lot more upper support tonight, and a lot more parts of the country will see some action later tonight/early tomorrow morning. Not sure if the extreme south applies here though, as even this upper support will collapse and showers will die out accordingly before making it there.

yourself and january snowster are saying the same thing. maybe you should give met eireann a ring and warn them for the 9pm news!

The echoes approaching the north coast are so impressive something has to come of them, if they move ashore they should stay well inland i reckon.

Hi Weathercheck, do you envisage any snow at all for West Dublin tonight?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

what do you mean by the echoes and thanks as well for your expert analysis to date.

Whats the irish weather site again that shows the tempretures on a map?

Forgot to fave it!

-crosses fingers- they have both hope and disappointed written all over them:p

anyone catch the forecast after the news? any mention of tonight's weather?

• Advertisement

what do you mean by the echoes and thanks as well for your expert analysis to date.

I think it's what a satellite does to detect cloud and it's mass,It sends out an "echo" which won't return unless it hits cloud.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement