Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Ok guys, thought I'd post an update, snowing very heavily now, roads are getting close to impossible to drive on if you can manage to see throug the blinding snow. Never seen anything like it, it's sticking like glue too. If this continues it wil be impossible to drive anywhere. I live on a hill and cars are skidding as they try and get down it and you spin like hell trying to get up it. Crazy weather, it's unbelievable !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Whats the irish weather site again that shows the tempretures on a map?

Forgot to fave it!

http://www.irelandsweather.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

The echoes approaching the north coast are so impressive something has to come of them, if they move ashore they should stay well inland i reckon.

I disagree. They will die off just as all showers have today(expect that 5 minute flurry here in Dublin). These set-ups always see the East/South/Southeast in some sort of a snow-shield, I've seen it many times (as you have I suppose). However, I DO hope they stay alive inland and give us a dusting:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

ch750536 wrote: »

Cheers!

Interesting to see North Kerry/ West Limerick are already at 1c,Were at 4-5 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

trogdor wrote: »
    -crosses fingers- they have both hope and disappointed written all over them:p

anyone catch the forecast after the news? any mention of tonight's weather?

yeah i saw it basically a re run of last night - connacht, ulster and west munster at risk from snow showers for tonight and tomorrow. winds easing as well and very cold and frosty up until the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Jake1 wrote: »
    Hi Weathercheck, do you envisage any snow at all for West Dublin tonight?
    Thanks.

It all depends on the gathering clouds to the north coast.

The Forecasts say there will not be but i personally think that there is a great chance for widespread and possibly heavy snow showers tonight and Dublin will be in a great position for them to stick, so anything that does fall should lay.

But check back in here before 12 and see how things are shaping up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

what do you mean by the echoes and thanks as well for your expert analysis to date.

Here's an explanation

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I think it's what a satellite does to detect cloud and it's mass,It sends out an "echo" which won't return unless it hits cloud.

Nah.

Echoes are what the radar use to detect precipitation. Basically what we are looking on the radar images are echoes from the precip bouncing back to the radar.

Cheers!

Interesting to see North Kerry/ West Limerick are already at 1c,Were at 4-5 last night.

i think that was because of the warm front which preceeded the cold air and temps were still high. the temperatures plummeted by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Loads of snow now, reckon best part of an inch in last 40 mins (snow not precip).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

The Forecasts say there will not be but i personally think that there is a great chance for widespread and possibly heavy snow showers tonight and Dublin will be in a great position for them to stick, so anything that does fall should lay.

I like your optimism wc but i honestly cant see it, those showers will die quickly (hope i'm wrong).
    At most a dusting for you i'd say but for me nothing.

This is met eireanns forecast
    "Overall, it will be dry with variable cloud but there is a threat of rain approaching southern coasts, which may turn to sleet and snow as it pushes further inland in southern parts of Munster and Leinster. Outbreaks of sleet and snow may spread further north across the country on Wednesday night, with temperatures unlikely to rise significantly during Thursday, Christmas Eve; however, there is a lot of uncertainty about how the weather pattern over Ireland will evolve after midweek. "

This is possibly my best chance of seeing snow on wednesday night.

Its amazing the amount of uncertanty at only 3 days out, will be interesting to see what happens.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Loads of snow now, reckon best part of an inch in last 40 mins (snow not precip).

hope it starts spreading west to north cork!

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I like your optimism wc but i honestly cant see it, those showers will die quickly (hope i'm wrong).
    At most a dusting for you i'd say but for me nothing.

This is met eireanns forecast
    "Overall, it will be dry with variable cloud but there is a threat of rain approaching southern coasts, which may turn to sleet and snow as it pushes further inland in southern parts of Munster and Leinster. Outbreaks of sleet and snow may spread further north across the country on Wednesday night, with temperatures unlikely to rise significantly during Thursday, Christmas Eve; however, there is a lot of uncertainty about how the weather pattern over Ireland will evolve after midweek. "

This is possibly my best chance of seeing snow on wednesday night.

Its amazing the amount of uncertanty at only 3 days out, will be interesting to see what happens.

that usually works out as rain for most of munster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

very heavy snow shower for 15 mins has left us with a covering. Freezing over now leaving very difficult driving conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

trogdor wrote: »
    -crosses fingers- they have both hope and disappointed written all over them:p

anyone catch the forecast after the news? any mention of tonight's weather?

showers persisting in the west and north, dry everywhere else.

there was no talk of organised showers at all for any region. by the way is there anyone posting on this forum from scotland? i'm curious to know how much snow has accumulated up there in the last 36 hours.

Thanks a million.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Cheers!

You're right Ricky, the NRA website definately shows things much lower than this time last night and the (dusting of) snow that fell this afternoon hasn't melted so all we need is a decent shower or two :)

Have you any shots to post Ricky? I've one from the morning showing a light dusting on the road that I must take off the CF card and post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Ok guys, thought I'd post an update, snowing very heavily now, roads are getting close to impossible to drive on if you can manage to see throug the blinding snow. Never seen anything like it, it's sticking like glue too. If this continues it wil be impossible to drive anywhere. I live on a hill and cars are skidding as they try and get down it and you spin like hell trying to get up it. Crazy weather, it's unbelievable !!

hi Cian1500ww, i am in dromahair, what part of leitrim are you in, apologies if you have answered this post previously, i have almost 20 back pages to scan to see what i missed today

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

just arrived in dublin now after over 4 hrs from donegal. i am glad that i left at the time i did as I just arrived at sligo in a heavy fall of snow and ocean FM said that cars couldnt get up or down the hill just as i got out of sligo. roads were very bad as far as mullingar and then they were clear. i have to say after doing the drive there were a few hairy moments when idiots in sligo registered cars decided they were going to drive like mad idiots and put alot of people in danger. If you havnt left for dublin yet my suggestion is dont, the roads would probably be too dangerous by this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Tactical wrote: »
    You're right Ricky, the NRA website definately shows things much lower than this time last night and the (dusting of) snow that fell this afternoon hasn't melted so all we need is a decent shower or two :)

Have you any shots to post Ricky? I've one from the morning showing a light dusting on the road that I must take off the CF card and post.

This:

7CE6275118754A4889FCBB211E907D6C.jpg

And you might of missed these earlier

• Advertisement

dbyrne wrote: »
    just arrived in dublin now after over 4 hrs from donegal. i am glad that i left at the time i did as I just arrived at sligo in a heavy fall of snow and ocean FM said that cars couldnt get up or down the hill just as i got out of sligo. roads were very bad as far as mullingar and then they were clear. i have to say after doing the drive there were a few hairy moments when idiots in sligo registered cars decided they were going to drive like mad idiots and put alot of people in danger. If you havnt left for dublin yet my suggestion is dont, the roads would probably be too dangerous by this time.

same all over the country - roads are like ice rinks in north cork and certain people are showing no regard for how dangerous things are. i think there'll be a load of accidents in the morning hopefully nothing serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

same all over the country - roads are like ice rinks in north cork and certain people are showing no regard for how dangerous things are. i think there'll be a load of accidents in the morning hopefully nothing serious.
    agreed the last time I drove from doneraile to cork (35 miles) in conditions like this I counted 9 cars in the ditches ,3 which had emergency services attending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bremner

dbyrne wrote: »

I've to get to SW Donegal; will probably go tomorrow. I'm surprised you didn't take the Omagh route as roads would be better gritted in Norn Iron?What was it like from Donegal town to Ballyshannon? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

Hi,

I've been reading like an excited child for the last few days but first post...
    When i look at this link:
    http://www.sat24.com/gb

then its hard to believe that the whole country will not all get a blast.
    or even more so when i let this one play out to the current time...

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

What am i missing ?

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    very heavy snow shower for 15 mins has left us with a covering. Freezing over now leaving very difficult driving conditions.

just looking at the radar west clare looks to have a bit of action - has it stopped again now?

blast05 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been reading like an excited child for the last few days but first post...
    When i look at this link:
    http://www.sat24.com/gb

then its hard to believe that the whole country will not all get a blast.
    or even more so when i let this one play out to the current time...

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

What am i missing ?

Thinking the same mate but the precip is obviously not forecast for some reason, must be expected to die when moving inland but we will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

showers persisting in the west and north, dry everywhere else.

there was no talk of organised showers at all for any region. by the way is there anyone posting on this forum from scotland? i'm curious to know how much snow has accumulated up there in the last 36 hours.

The high res ETA rainfall model has showers increasing later tonight into tomorrow morning over the northern half of the country in general. The bulk of the showers are forecast to stream in from Donegal Bay in a relatively narrow line over north Connacht, north Leinster (in towards Dublin) and south Ulster.

Guess what?
    It shows much of the North Galway missing them once again! :mad:

It's a crap model anyway....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

there was a little bit of snow in the city earlier. now it is after freezing. white ice everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

trying to attach a pic for ye, not sure if this will work.

• Advertisement

The high res ETA rainfall model has showers increasing later tonight into tomorrow morning over the northern half of the country in general. The bulk of the showers are forecast to stream in from Donegal Bay in a relatively narrow line over north Connacht, north Leinster (in towards Dublin) and south Ulster.

Guess what?
    It shows much of the North Galway missing them once again! :mad:

It's a crap model anyway....;)

Whats this Hi res? Linky?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement