Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

eskimocat wrote: »
    trying to attach a pic for ye, not sure if this will work.

Nice pic! Could be the cover of a crime novel or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Yeah, nice pic there Eskimocat, is that the N16!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Where did you take that Eskimocat, it looks quite daunting and awesome! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

paddybar wrote: »
    agreed the last time I drove from doneraile to cork (35 miles) in conditions like this I counted 9 cars in the ditches ,3 which had emergency services attending

And I bet at least half of them where 4 wheel drives :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Yeah, nice pic there Eskimocat, is that the N16!?!?

Manorhamilton to Enniskillen rd, not sure of the number. Left early today to leave back young fella and to try and beat the worst of it, we were just in nick of time, getting dark and freezing hard when we were coming through around 4pm. Had funny hail/sleet/snow alot of the way back to Dromahair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Is Dublin ever going to see this. I am raging.:mad::mad:

Showers look like they are getting further in land. RainToday has them reaching Kells. Even if they havn't got that far, the red blobs are definitely further in land than I've seen them today, which is encouraging for the prospect of more widespread snow showers tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Raining in Letterkenny for the first time since yesterday evening...

How can there be sleet and snow all day but then rain at night??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

This past 24 hours has been a huge letdown , im shocked i havent seen more snow, Even when there was no downgrade on the charts and looked like there was gona be a big snow event it still didnt happen! :(
    The snow seems to be very hit or miss.

Its been raining all day , and the snow is going away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's the N7 at Citywest :D

C0151101202152.jpg?random=1261339243

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

irish1967 wrote: »
    Could it actually have been lightening??

It was defo a shooting star Irish. It was still half bright at the time but sort of made a flash before it disappeared. It was deadly! I instictively blessed myself when I seen it, it was weird. I suppose I am just superstitious about those things. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Cheers!

Interesting to see North Kerry/ West Limerick are already at 1c,Were at 4-5 last night.

I use this site by Kerry1960. He is poster here on boards. This is only 3-4 mile away from me so pretty close to my actual temps as well
    http://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_Fire.swf?units=both&station=IKERRYTR2

Where did you take that Eskimocat, it looks quite daunting and awesome! :)

The going was slow but steady, most people quite respectful of road conditions with the odd plonker just for that touch of danger, the pic taken by my hubby while i was driving. That was Glenfarne, AAroadwatch are saying its treacherous on the radio.

Quote AAroadwatch:

*CONNAUGHT* • *LEITRIM/FERMANAGH* Very dangerous driving conditions on the N16/A4 Sligo/Enniskillen Rd between Glenfarne and Blacklion.

Be careful out there, my brother in law felt it too risky to drive from Sligo to manorhamilton this evening.. he is heading to inlaws instead of chancing it :D

Just kidding....it's a roadcam in Finland - but it's what I'm hoping for on my way to work in the morning! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

eskimocat wrote: »
    Manorhamilton to Enniskillen rd, not sure of the number. Left early today to leave back young fella and to try and beat the worst of it, we were just in nick of time, getting dark and freezing hard when we were coming through around 4pm. Had funny hail/sleet/snow alot of the way back to Dromahair.

Cheers, thought I recognised it, know the road well!! It's bad enough when it's dry with some of them corners, must have been very bad by looks of it, some of them corners like at that bridge just before passing the timber supplies place on the left before coming into Glenfarne from the Enniskillen side must be an absolute death trap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Su Campu wrote: »

Citywest Dublin? It can't be! Is this a sick joke?!

EDIT: Ok, Citywest Finland. So it was a sick joke :D

C0151101202152.jpg?random=1261339243
    From what actual historical date ? Ah Finland..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

There seems to be a lot of cloud now aproaching NW Ireland around this low?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Doesnt really seems to be breaking up? Some heavy showers now entering North mayo around bellmullet area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

Harps wrote: »
    Raining in Letterkenny for the first time since yesterday evening...

How can there be sleet and snow all day but then rain at night??

I think it could be the t850 they look quite high for your area;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just kidding....it's a roadcam in Finland - but it's what I'm hoping for on my way to work in the morning! :rolleyes:

i had noticed the time on it was wrong and also the fact the place wasn't flooded by people from the east!

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    Citywest Dublin? It can't be! Is this a sick joke?!

Unfortunately it is a joke. It's a Finnish roadcam, just thought I'd try and at least pretend wee're getting it down here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Ricky,

fantastic shots from you as always :) Enjoyed looking at them.

Here's one from this morning (excuse the blown out sky)

Lightdustingofsnow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

burkieboy wrote: »
    I think it could be the t850 they look quite high for your area;);)

t850 meaning what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Unfortunately it is a joke. It's a Finnish roadcam, just thought I'd try and at least pretend wee're getting it down here...
    Unless u could travel to the future , the time stap was a give away that it was fake lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

We must have 2 close to 3 inches on the ground atm.

Cheers, thought I recognised it, know the road well!! It's bad enough when it's dry with some of them corners, must have been very bad by looks of it, some of them corners like at that bridge just before passing the timber supplies place on the left before coming into Glenfarne from the Enniskillen side must be an absolute death trap!!

on the way out around 1.30 today, that corner was clear, on the way back about 3, it had a couple of inches at side of road and impacted snow as a road surface, it was just starting to freeze on it at that stage, car temp read 0.5c around there, so it will be pure lethal by now i would imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Traffic is also on wrong side of the road.

Good one though :D Think everyone is hoping to see something like that pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

snaps wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of cloud now aproaching NW Ireland around this low?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Doesnt really seems to be breaking up? Some heavy showers now entering North mayo around bellmullet area?

Bloody raining here now in East Donegal. Tried to snow earlier.

Not impressed! :confused:

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Pangea wrote: »
    Unless u could travel to the future , the time stap was a give away that it was fake lol
    The fact it hasnt snowed today in the east and there havn't been precip traces on the radar was the instant giveaway:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

The footprints I made at 8 am this morning are still visible. It hasn't 'really' snowed here all day... lots of rain/sleet/hail but no snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement