Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

Im losing hope rapidly. To me those showers look like they are breaking up ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some huge convecitve bursts to the northwest of Ireland looks ominous.

Yes rain/sleet going to be a problem for areas near the coasts even 20-30 miles inland off.. But should be snow in heavier precip.

I think the Midlands will do very well tonight for snow, a good covering i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

Harps wrote: »
    t850 meaning what exactly?

Thats your temp at 850 metre its at -4 which is marginal to say the least!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

snaps wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of cloud now aproaching NW Ireland around this low?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Doesnt really seems to be breaking up? Some heavy showers now entering North mayo around bellmullet area?

Yepp, that has just made landfall here in Sligo and it's doing ....

...absolutely nothing :rolleyes:

Bit of sleet there, cloud has visibly thickened ...and that's it.
    I was watching that "blob" approaching for hours waiting for my bit of winter-wonderland and now that it's here ...nada ...as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

More snow falling here in West Limerick. Best shower so far today. Long may it last :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Jake1 wrote: »

The whole system is just convective, convective outburst followed by decay/ like breathing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Malin Head has dropped from 5 to 2°C in the last hour.....and wind gusting to 31kts. It might be starting.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Jake1 wrote: »

Aye, they are, but they seem to be getting progressively further before they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Some huge convecitve bursts to the northwest of Ireland looks ominous.

Yes rain/sleet going to be a problem for areas near the coasts even 20-30 miles inland off.. But should be snow in heavier precip.

I think the Midlands will do very well tonight for snow, a good covering i'd say.

Will hold you to that ;) Reporting back at 0700 hours with situation assessment. Out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Yeah,
    Same in North Cork.
    Nice flakes too.
    Tactical wrote: »
    More snow falling here in West Limerick. Best shower so far today. Long may it last :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

mad DIY wrote: »
    The fact it hasnt snowed today in the east and there havn't been precip traces on the radar was the instant giveaway:rolleyes:
    I dont follow radars for the east ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Su Campu wrote: »
    Malin Head has dropped from 5 to 2°C in the last hour.....and wind gusting to 31kts. It might be starting.....:)

Good stuff!

Can't see there being too much until that hits here.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Where did you take that Eskimocat, it looks quite daunting and awesome! :)

it certainly does with the sharp bend coming up ahead. i don't know how that poster kept his nerve driving all the way from Donegal to Dublin in these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Shulgin wrote: »
    Yeah,
    Same in North Cork.
    Nice flakes too.

where in north cork are you roughly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Some heavyweight stuff about to move in it seems. Picture in thermal infrared. Time taken is 2000GMT.

Credit to: "NERC Satellite Receiving Station, Dundee University, Scotland"
    Link: http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/

4200491349_4d442a5603_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Jeez, looking at the latest satellite if I was a forecaster I'd have warnings out.
    The whole occlusion (arc of ppn) looks like moving down late tonight and for tomorrow
    It doesn't look like a coastal thing to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The high res ETA rainfall model has showers increasing later tonight into tomorrow morning over the northern half of the country in general. The bulk of the showers are forecast to stream in from Donegal Bay in a relatively narrow line over north Connacht, north Leinster (in towards Dublin) and south Ulster.

Guess what?
    It shows much of the North Galway missing them once again! :mad:

It's a crap model anyway....;)

i think most of us will miss it, except for those 20- 30 miles inland from the west, north west and north coast. why can't a polar low form, or at least a series of active troughs come down over us. what do the snow gods have against us:(

What a super image, thanks alot mate.

Imagine having one of those every 30 minutes. Stunning.

Jeez, looking at the latest satellite if I was a forecaster I'd have warnings out.
    The whole occlusion (arc of ppn) looks like moving down late tonight and for tomorrow
    It doesn't look like a coastal thing to me!!

hmm you certainly are optimistic i'll give you that! you had me down for 2/3 inches last night by now but i'll forgive you if you get tonight right!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Near Kanturk
    where in north cork are you roughly?

Stopping now again .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I wouldnt be getting my hopes up too much anyone down the country, we've been getting plenty of clouds but very little snow. Had a rain shower a while ago and thats been the height of it

Shulgin wrote: »
    Near Kanturk

Stopping now again .

just looking at the radar the showers are just dying as they move inland..all yellow then break up into blue and then gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

new warning

Heavy snow showers, falling as sleet on the immediate north coast, will continue through this evening and overnight. Further accumulations of 5 to 10cm are possible, with perhaps locally 15cm over the hills. Drifting of lying snow over higher ground is also likely.
    Issued at: 1906 Sun 20 Dec
    Northern Ireland: Co Armagh Co DownHeavy Snow2215 Sun 200600 Mon 21Heavy snow showers will affect many places overnight. Accumulations of 5 to 10cm of snow are expected with perhaps up to 15cm over the hills. There will also be drifting of the snow in the fresh wind.
    Issued at: 2025 Sun 20 Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

wow, what a satelite image that is, some beefy looking showers to our north.

The forecast and models dont show these showers penetrating far but they look good, heres hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

That 2nd band out in the North Irish sea and those bands of clouds that go up towards iceland look interesting? Some real heavy showers coming into NW mayo now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Some heavyweight stuff about to move in it seems. Picture in thermal infrared. Time taken is 2000GMT.

Credit to: "NERC Satellite Receiving Station, Dundee University, Scotland"
    Link: http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/

4200491349_4d442a5603_b.jpg

Thanks for this link... thats a nice satellite image resource, going to bm it.

Aside form that, anyone here living in north mayo? There is some pretty beefy showers moving in there and i am wondering are they rain or snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

i'd say the met are keeping a close eye on those showers;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Yeah great satalite image, cheers.

Looking at the Rain-Radar, looks like I'm about to get a plastering in the next 15/20 mins by look of things here in Enniskillen!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

MUSEIST wrote: »
    i'd say the met are keeping a close eye on those showers;)

well, the ones in Sligo are doing nothing at all, no snow , no rain, no nothing.
    According to raintoday there seems to be some snow on mountains, but nothing below.

I'd say those greedy, snow-hugging feckers in Longford are going to get it all again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Aside form that, anyone here living in north mayo? There is some pretty beefy showers moving in there and i am wondering are they rain or snow.

Just started Snowing Here. Just outside Castlebar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement