Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Snow, snow, snow :p:p:p:p:p

Finally we have some snow in the hills of West Limerick.

Its currently snowing, small tiny flakes that are sticking for the moment.

Happy, happy, happy :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

snowing again nice shower! 2n shower today,

really heavy snow really large flakes!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Sun is beaming in Bray - Car frozen solid though - no snow on Catty Gallagher im surprised at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bremner

irish1967 wrote: »
    Good morning Grace.. greets from Donegal Town. Very few cars on the bypass. The silence is beautiful. I think you made a wise decision not to head for Ballyshannon.
    picture423copy.jpg

Irish1967, I need to get up to Glencolmcille - how bad are the roads now? That bypass looks dangerous enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

Very light flakes of snow blowing around here now,the Dublin mountains are white, I think il take a trip up there later, just above freezing now at 0.1C after a low of -1.0C.

Dan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

no snow yet in Limerick suburbs but we have a hard frost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

HEAVY SNOW

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

This is new...
    Weather Warning

Issued at 20 December 2009 - 07:50

Weather warning

Snow showers affecting much of Ulster and Connacht today, Sunday, will give accumulations of between 5 & 12 cm, with some drifting possible due to strong westerly winds.
    Some snow showers will occur elsewhere but with much smaller accumulations likely.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

12cm is almost 5 inches :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Snow shower over now but I don't care as we've had some in West Limerick.

Looking at the 06Z GFS roll out, even at 30 hours out there are quite a few changes from the 0Z. Must be a nightmare to forecast next the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Snow settling for the first time now,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Bremner wrote: »
    Irish1967, I need to get up to Glencolmcille - how bad are the roads now? That bypass looks dangerous enough!

Was just outside at the bypass for 10 minutes and NO cars passed in either direction... so weird ! I guess if absence of traffic is any indication of how bad the roads are.. there's your answer.

I will take a picture from the same location as I did at 8am to give you an idea of how conditions have changed since then.

Last shower missed me by half a mile, got only light hail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

snow plow wrote: »
    Very light flakes of snow blowing around here now,the Dublin mountains are white, I think il take a trip up there later, just above freezing now at 0.1C after a low of -1.0C.

Dan

will you let me know what Glencullen is like please ??

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

-1 here in Cork but no sign of snow, to far south.

Morning snow bunnies :)
    its cold and very frosty in Lucan. Had a few flakes of snow, but they are gone now. Im hoping we get some snow later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bremner

irish1967 wrote: »
    Was just outside at the bypass for 10 minutes and NO cars passed in either direction... so weird ! I guess if absence of traffic is any indication of how bad the roads are.. there's your answer.

I will take a picture from the same location as I did at 8am to give you an idea of how conditions have changed since then.

Last shower missed me by half a mile, got only light hail.

Thanks Irish1967.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

gally74 wrote: »
    HEAVY SNOW

lucky if we got that all day it would be 5 inches its only 2 inches and all the showers are missing me will it do this all day or will that band come down from scotland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Good covering here, about 1-2cm I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

gally74 wrote: »
    HEAVY SNOW

Not even a flake in the city - very jealous:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

recent snow shower about 1cm now,long way to go for decent amount
    trim meath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 her-in-doors

I have to get to a wedding in Cavan this morning from Letterkenny. sitting here debating whether I should attempt it or not! was going to go through the North up to Omagh and then down to Cavan as thought the roads in North will be well gritted. What do ye think? anybody in Cavan area that can tell me how bad the roads are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Just had a measure of the snow here in Letterkenny(Derry side).

6.5 cm and that was being conservative, plenty more to come:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

SNOW IN KERRY,It's stopped!But i've got photos it's sitting on the ground too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Only a very light dusting here overnight, very frosty though. Serves me right for looking up DIY toboggan plans on google last night :D.

It seems the main shower activity is north of a line from Sligo to Meath and along the extreme western seaboard. Showers are dissipating before they get far inland. Some people may get lucky with a localised decent one.

We need the wind to pep up and that more organised band of heavy showers on the sat image to move down from the NW.

Who mentioned the possibility of a polar low forming?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭4400kevin

I have to get to a wedding in Cavan this morning from Letterkenny. sitting here debating whether I should attempt it or not! was going to go through the North up to Omagh and then down to Cavan as thought the roads in North will be well gritted. What do ye think? anybody in Cavan area that can tell me how bad the roads are there?

I am 5 km from ballyjamesduff and we have a good 2" of the white stuff.The untreated roads will be difficult to drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

North County Cork will get a brief shower shortly.

06Z GFS keeps it very cold, max daytime temps barely above 0 Xmas Eve but again very little precip on this run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Same location as 2 hours ago... this is the main road... not much moving

Donegal Town bypass... 10am
    bypass10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Kinda dissapointed this morning ,we have same amount of snow as we had before i went to bed last night , but looking at met eireanns forecast is promising, drifting ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

does anyone expect that band in northern scotland to move down here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement