Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

nifheorais wrote: »
    Any snow for Galway City forecast? Where in S.E Mayo is it snowing?:rolleyes:?

Hey, you, what's with the sarcastic tone? If you want to find out if snow is forecast why dont you read through the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Those showers in the NW seems to heading in my direction, I sure hope they can make it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=

Looks like another substantial band to follow the one passing down through Mayo at the moment.

In fact if you look above the second band, there is a very long, almost vertical column of cloud and if that keeps it's shape on it's current heading, then it should hit us head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Are we all going to wear our socks over our shoes to prevent sliding on ice?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

that band seems to have kept its intensity more than i thought, also i did'nt think there was a organised band like this forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

2 1/2 inches of snow tonight and still snowing hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

danni2 wrote: »
    Those showers in the NW seems to heading in my direction, I sure hope they can make it here.

i hope you get some. the wind has gone westerly here and picked up so hopefully that will help carry the precipitation as far as you before it dies out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

MayoForSam wrote: »
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=

Looks like another substantial band to follow the one passing down through Mayo at the moment.

In fact if you look above the second band, there is a very long, almost vertical column of cloud and if that keeps it's shape on it's current heading, then it should hit us head on.

are any of those shower bands heading south at all?!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

In ballymote, Sligo got about 2cm of snow in the last 2 and a half hours, with a
    total of about 7cm on the ground. Still snowing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just been out for my hourly smoke. Its the least cold smoke I have had all day.

A few clouds but nice moon lite night. Still no snow since sometime before 7am this morning. I just don't know ! Am i too near the coast here in Donegal Town? Sure there has been a few hail showers and sleet and rain but I haven't seen a proper snowflake all day. The puddle at my front door isn't even frozen.

Is there a chance that it will NOT snow here tonight?

• Advertisement

before it dies out.

Let's not be having any of that famous Nacho negativity for the moment! :p
    Steam... Is it still snowing there? Nothing here yet but a starry cold sky. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

MetOffice Uk left it late to call this but have a nice one

I chose the furthest south ones.

Northern Ireland: Co Armagh Co DownHeavy Snow2215 Sun 200600 Mon 21Heavy snow showers will affect many places overnight. Accumulations of 5 to 10cm of snow are expected with perhaps up to 15cm over the hills. There will also be drifting of the snow in the fresh wind.

Issued at: 2025 Sun 20 Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

i hope you get some. the wind has gone westerly here and picked up so hopefully that will help carry the precipitation as far as you before it dies out.

Yes noticed the wind has gone westerly, the temp is also rising here. May be because of the heavier cloud cover. was 0c exactly but not .9c now

Will Ger do it,

he has the information..

Upgrade

Moving Midlands and Leinster

wahoooooooooooo

Ger trying not to ramp!

-

Now back to what we were doing all day, satellite watching, the snow still needs to fall!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

just rain now in north sligo, dusting of hail earlier

:(

Will Ger do it,

he has the information..

LOL :) he has the technology

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Hey, you, what's with the sarcastic tone? If you want to find out if snow is forecast why dont you read through the thread?
    Sorry I didnt intend sarcasm. I was wondering how far the snow is away from Galway City thats all! We have not had snow in the city since 2000 and our children are quite excited at the prospect!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

well done wc you called this earlier when it did not look likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Hell just froze over and a pig flew past my window - Gerry Murphy did not, for once, hesitate to use the word 'snow' (or accompany it with the term 'over high ground'). He said that band of showers may get down into the midlands and the northern half of Leinster. Hope I'm far north enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Sure hope so nacho, everything is frozen solid outside now so if the snow does make it here it should stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

so when is it going to snow in dublin.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    well done wc you called this earlier when it did not look likely

Nothings happened yet, long nite ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Just saw gerry on rte - snow in midlands and leinster overnight. I wonder is Gerry reading WeatherChecks predictions?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dry here in East Donegal but the temperature has dropped in the last hour or so.

Going on RTE this could be a long night waiting!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I assume he (Gerry) specified North Leinster? Will just miss me so!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The snow that started has turned to rain:mad: temp really rising now as well with it 1.7c now from 0c 20mins ago!

nifheorais wrote: »
    Sorry I didnt intend sarcasm. I was wondering how far the snow is away from Galway City thats all! We have not had snow in the city since 2000 and our children are quite excited at the prospect!:)

No probs. You have as equally as good chance as me I reckon, which is 50/50 at this stage. Don't you remember the abundant snow in the city on Christmas Day in 2004? It was the last white Christmas we had!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

danni2 wrote: »
    Sure hope so nacho, everything is frozen solid outside now so if the snow does make it here it should stick.

a complete u-turn by met eireann now - at 9:30 pm gerry murphy was forecasting the showers pushing into the midlands and a bit further south overnight. the lp coming down has had a huge effect. all that's missing is a polar low but then you can't get everything you want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement