Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Nothings happened yet, long nite ahead of us.

oh i know, but i was skeptical when you said those showers might travel further inland than previously thought, well done.

I dont think they will reach me but maybe i'll get yet another light flurry, because that ids all i have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Missed the forecast did he say how much they reckoned the midlands would see or far east they expected it to go? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

snaps wrote: »
    The snow that started has turned to rain:mad: temp really rising now as well with it 1.7c now from 0c 20mins ago!

Yes some modification of that air, where are you in Mayo.

Amazingly i reckon the Midlands and areas south and east enough to get the precip will do the best out of this due to colder temps, lowers dew points, lower humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

MUSEIST wrote: »
    well done wc you called this earlier when it did not look likely

it wasn't just him to be fair. two other posters called it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

metcheck has 0% snow chance for dublin ah well will live in hope:P

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    Missed the forecast did he say how much they reckoned the midlands would see or far east they expected it to go? Cheers

he said just midlands and north leinster but a snow graphic was shown over your area ( for all a snow graphic is worth)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Holy sh1t, that was a very snowy RTE forecast - who said Gerry Murphy doesn't do snow??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

nifheorais wrote: »
    Sorry I didnt intend sarcasm. I was wondering how far the snow is away from Galway City thats all! We have not had snow in the city since 2000 and our children are quite excited at the prospect!:)

It must've snowed already in Galway city today, there was the thinnest of thin coverings when I was up around Rahoon at 6pm. But here's hoping for more, I'd have the tea tray out going down that hill past Rahoon cemetery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Thank you, in fact I called it first:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Well gerry certainly made me smile because i am exhausted on this rollercoaster,definately getting the moneys worth.

So glad all of ye that got snow were enjoying it,

Lampost watch??

Those clouds look great so fingers crossed for us down further

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Latest met warning gives cold without much detail up to Christmas morning...
    Issued at 20 December 2009 - 20:21
    Severe cold weather up to Christmas Day
    1. Further heavy snow overnight over parts of Connaught and Ulster.
    2. Severe frost countrywide overnight and with icy surfaces.
    3. Severe frost/icy conditions/freezing fog continuing through to Christmas morning.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

Think I'll crack open a bottle of wine, its nearly Christmas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WE HAVE SNOW!
    Light snow, but snow none the less. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes some modification of that air, where are you in Mayo.

Amazingly i reckon the Midlands and areas south and east enough to get the precip will do the best out of this due to colder temps, lowers dew points, lower humidity.

Ballinrobe! Update, rain has turned to huge flakes of snow!

sorry yeah, but WC is easier to remember for some reason.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

whitemocha wrote: »
    metcheck has 0% snow chance for dublin ah well will live in hope:P

Wont bother opeining another bottle of wine so - have to go to work tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Haven't seen one flake yet (Mountrath) - bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Villain wrote: »

No, nothing about accumulations but he called it a "band of snow" and merely used the words "midlands" and "northern half of Leinster" iirc. The air over the midlands should be much colder than further to the north west so I wouldn't really worry about the reports of sleet coming in.
    I don't think the band of showers will make it much further far south than north Meath; all day the showers that appear really heavy on the radar and satellite just fizzle out into nothing as soon as they get about 40 miles inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bremner

Complete novice here. Looking at "Rain today" there's no 'red stuff' following in from the North after what's overland now. I am reading it correctly? Many thanks

In County Dublin, I guess north leinster would leave me out :(
    Dang it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Thank you, in fact I called it first:D

he didn't say cork JS! do you think it may reach us?! well done you did call it earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ballinrobe! Update, rain has turned to huge flakes of snow!

Enjoy your snow and dont be too disappointed when it stops because there is plenty behind that band, plenty.

Lets hope it keeps kicking and swings in across the country.

Nice frosty conditions here which would be perfect for snowcover.

Has anyone experinced any wind today? Its been calm here all day today, but the isobars should indicate fair strength of wind?

WE HAVE SNOW!
    Light snow, but snow none the less. :D:D:D

yeah!! Well done, you deserve it after all your help here.:) Enjoy every beautiful flake.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Its annoying here when people say its "snowing here" but we dont have a clue where they are?

Yes folks, as a courtesy to other contributors, would everyone consider putting their location in their profile. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Stopped now in Enniskillen, has given about 2cm's of snow since it started. Looking at the rain-radar I recon there's more to come yet...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Temp is actually dropping here a little. Down to -0.4c since the flurry arrived with dp reading -1.7c.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

ch750536 wrote: »
    2 1/2 inches of snow tonight and still snowing hard!

What:eek: Not even a flake in south Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

In summary; definitely a late upgrade from Met Eireann. They have modified tonight's forecast on their site to the following:

"Heavy snow tonight over parts of Connacht and Ulster with further accumulations and drifting; clear spells and scattered snow or hail showers over Leinster and Munster. Lowest air temperatures zero to -4 degrees with a widespread severe frost and icy surfaces."

Bremner wrote: »
    Complete novice here. Looking at "Rain today" there's no 'red stuff' following in from the North after what's overland now. I am reading it correctly? Many thanks

That raintoday radar is really UK orientated, doesnt seem to use the shannon radar. The met IRL one is a little more accurate when the shannon radar is online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Well here's looking forward to snow in Dundalk they don't come more north Leinster than us

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement