Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WE HAVE SNOW!
    Light snow, but snow none the less. :D:D:D

congratulations paddy1.

it's still snow here at the moment, but it's fairly light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

Jake1 wrote: »
    In County Dublin, I guess north leinster would leave me out :(
    Dang it.

I believe he said "Northern half of Leinster" :D

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Temp is actually dropping here a little. Down to -0.4c since the flurry arrived with dp reading -1.7c.

Temp now 2.1c, reckon it must be the thicker cloud cover, but still snowing big flakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

snaps wrote: »
    That raintoday radar is really UK orientated, doesnt seem to use the shannon radar. The met IRL one is a little more accurate when the shannon radar is online

Actually I think the Met Office one is slightly better for knowing what's coming from the north because the meteireann one *always* shows any precip over NI as light - they musn't use the Belfast radar.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

rc28 wrote: »
    In summary; definitely a late upgrade from Met Eireann. They have modified tonight's forecast on their site to the following:

"Heavy snow tonight over parts of Connacht and Ulster with further accumulations and drifting; clear spells and scattered snow or hail showers over Leinster and Munster. Lowest air temperatures zero to -4 degrees with a widespread severe frost and icy surfaces."

it just shows how much of a nowcast situation this weather forcasting shiz is because earlier on it was more doom and gloom for most areas and now we have some hefty showers to the north of ireland.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Temperatures on the increase in Galway City, from 1C up to 2.1C over the last two hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

a complete u-turn by met eireann now - at 9:30 pm gerry murphy was forecasting the showers pushing into the midlands and a bit further south overnight. the lp coming down has had a huge effect. all that's missing is a polar low but then you can't get everything you want.
    Fantastic:D just what I wanted to hear. Yeah it would be lovely if a polar low formed but tbh I don't really care as long as those showers can make it here then i'll be happy with that as I wasn't expecting anything at all tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The snow is only going to painstakingly move south, if it keeps up there could be some large falls in places come morning. Once the convection keeps cracking up there and flowing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Snow was already here when we arrived, hence not much on the car.
    99573.jpg

More on the drive though.
    99574.jpg

99575.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

that second band is much wider than the one we are seeing spreading south now.

Is there any reason why that will not swing SE over the country? If it does then surely it will give a dumping.

DEEPEASTERLY: How is your snow? Settling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

snowing again in belfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The snow is only going to painstakingly move south, if it keeps up there could be some large falls in places come morning. Once the convection keeps cracking up there and flowing in.

it won't come past the midlands though? will showers still be feeding in off the atlantic down south?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Its frezzing here in Waterford City, Temp -1.4 heavy frost already.

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Is there any reason why that will not swing SE over the country? If it does then surely it will give a dumping.

how far behind the first band is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

he didn't say cork JS! do you think it may reach us?! well done you did call it earlier.

I think it might hit Cork but it will be tomorrow morning, maybe between 5 and 8 am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bremner

Actually I think the Met Office one is slightly better for knowing what's coming from the north because the meteireann one *always* shows any precip over NI as light - they musn't use the Belfast radar.

Thanks snaps and rc28.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

It has just started snowing again in Limerick city! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

how far behind the first band is it?

Look at the satellite here

image.ashx?country=gb&type=last&time=200912202230&sat=

snow plow wrote: »
    I believe he said "Northern half of Leinster" :D

Dan

Hmm, well when you put it that way :) Im in Lucan County Dublin, flying the flag:) Im ever optimistic when it comes to snow, I think if I beleive hard enuff I may get some :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Bremner wrote: »
    Complete novice here. Looking at "Rain today" there's no 'red stuff' following in from the North after what's overland now. I am reading it correctly? Many thanks

Novice here too but i think its only turning to snow as it hits the coast. The coastlines are warmer (0 according to RTE) where midlands are -3. I am 1 mile from coast and it ain't snowed here all day. REd blobs have passed over me as rain and blanketed leitrim etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Can anyone read anything more from this regarding the follow on from the band rpesently moving down from ulster and n connaught

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=ir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Down to a barely noticable snizzle at the moment Wolfe. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

snow in Limerick City beginning to accumulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The whole northern half of the country seems to be getting snow at the moment and we're getting nothing but rain here in Lertterkenny all night :(

Any of you pro's know if theres much chance of any for Donegal tonight??

I think it might hit Cork but it will be tomorrow morning, maybe between 5 and 8 am.

suppose it will depend how it breaks up coming south. thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Id love to think snow will spread this far south and east but im not really sure it will make it this far, at this stage even a few flakes on the in the air wud make me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

doesn't what's happening tonight demonstrate just how tricky it is to forecast even 3-4 days ahead in an entrenched very cold setup. we could have a snow fest christmas eve or we could be under mucky mild weather. i suppose that the beauty in following what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Did anyone notice on the 6-1 news when Gerry Murphy was being interviewed about the conditions that he was sitting beside a moniter that showed the Met Eireann radar, but it had a much better coverage than the one on the website. It showed nicely the heavy showers over the north whereas the one one the web did not?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

How come a front such as this can lose intensity and not make it that far south but when fronts move in from the Atlantic in a westerly they happily drop sh*t loads of rain across the whole country for hours on end? - Do fronts from the Atlantic tend to be much more intense generally speaking?

Oh and just back to 82 for a minute, I think that was a westerly front moving across the country and meeting the already cold east? Not that it will happen now, just curious if something moving in from the North could pack a similar punch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The reason for the rain in Donegal is because of the warm sea just west of there, the breeze is coming in from the west picking up milder air and melting your snow. If the low pressure passes further south... winds will become NE and you will get snow in Donegal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement