Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Weather reports at 9 pm show most Western stations showing temps of 3 - 4 C... looks like rain for us from here on in:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Thanks Nacho.:) Lighter again now but not stopping. It is magical actually, it is falling down really slowly and silently, and with all the Christmas lights out on the street, it just looks like a proper Christmas.

A light covering with temp at back up to 0.0c exactly. :)

Glad to hear ya got some! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

met eireann should provide a forecast for the microclimates that exsist in western coastal extremities.

im going outside to sunbathe.

might take a dip in the balmy atlantic.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Thanks Nacho.:) Lighter again now but not stopping. It is magical actually, it is falling down really slowly and silently, and with all the Christmas lights out on the street, it just looks like a proper Christmas.

and the saw doctors playing Carols in the main street of Tuam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Snow a lot heavier now, but still no blizzard. Absolutely no wind at all. Very Christmassy type stuff!!! :):):)

Any chance you could send it down the N17 a bit.
    It's dropped back a little in the City but I'm still at 1.9C

• Advertisement

Precip looks nice on the sat loop but the 18Z GFS keeps it confined mostly to the northwest even as the low slowly moves closer to NI.
    Could the GFS be underestimating it?
    knowing the GFS ability to get things arseways all week, probably - and hopefully

met eireann should provide a forecast for the microclimates that exsist in western coastal extremities.

I'll join you I have the sunscreen .:(

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Bin the GFS its already wrong.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

It will make decent inroads, where it make it to Dublin is unknown but to my eye likely.

If it does make it to Dublin, what time approx would you expect it to hit? About 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    and the saw doctors playing Carols in the main street of Tuam?

Don't ruin the magic!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Felixdhc wrote: »
    If it does make it to Dublin, what time approx would you expect it to hit? About 12?

First tester is the band over the northwest at the moment which could make it here by around i'd say 2330/0000.

• Advertisement

wow ! 700 posts came early tonight !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Do what I did, walk a little way, stop & listen to the falling snow. Is wonderful but it has to be still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

knowing the GFS ability to get things arseways all week, probably - and hopefully

where are all the showers you had earlier wolfe? doesn't seem to be anything in the atlantic at the moment to spread inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

now snowing in monaghan town hopefully will move further south for ye...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭4400kevin

A few snow flakes falling here on the meath cavan border and what we had this morning has not thawed so any snow should stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

First tester is the band over the northwest at the moment which could make it here by around i'd say 2330/0000.

That band hasent been doing a thing here all evening.:mad:

It looked promising in the afternoon now nothing.Please god let it snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ronan.michael@g

Brief flurry of snow 15mins ago - near Bettystown Co Meath
    Kilmacanogue Co Wicklow - Sunday 2215hrs - nary a sign of snow but bitter cold out. Michael r

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

It would be rude so not to hang around for that to see if at least gives us something! Then I reckon set the alarm for 4am to see whats happening...

ch750536 wrote: »
    Do what I did, walk a little way, stop & listen to the falling snow. Is wonderful but it has to be still.
    i love how everything falls silent when it snows. Today I experienced that for the first time in a long time. It is magical. My three year old girl has been listening to me giving her my predictions on snowfall allw eek. Last few mornings she woke up and asked 'Can we make a snowman'. I came up with the ingenius idea of telling her the weatherman got it wrong again. She now things Met eireann is the antichrist:p

when it snwoed today, i threw her hat, scarf and my coat on here and picked her up and walked out into the snow. Her expression made me realise why I love snow myself.

MUNSTERLEGEND. They moved down tactical's way in west limerick and he got a slight covering i think. Dont know after that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Met Eireann have updated their warning "severe cold" upto Christmas day.
    Strong stuff, never though I would see those words this Winter, esp in December!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pure DISASTER, Raining away here ,
    Some snowspell ,Sickened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Believe it or not, but there is a book writen on that very subject! Can't think of the name of it off hand but when I find it I intend doing a feature here on Boards. The climate of the west of Ireland is very complex. Often, it is thrown into one category by geographists and meteorologists, in other words, it is generalised.

Despite having what is generally termed a moderate climate compared to the rest of the country, some of the biggest extremes in Irish weather history have occured in the west; indeed, the warmest and lowest temps in anyone year, will more often than not, occur in the west. :)

pauldry wrote: »
    rain here in sligo or should i say rain n sleet. me dp has risen to 1c after being at minus 2 last night. is this the end of our snow?
    I tried to explain that much earlier today.
    The airflow is a modified polar maratime.
    The maratime influence is very big in it ie it is wetter air to put it in the simplest of terms.
    Hence it has a higher RH and a higher DP.
    The air is drying out a bit as it heads inland and it's also a tad,just a tad colder.
    Don't confuse dry air as air with no showers.
    The showers have developed over the water.
    The snow is there but it needs to travel down through relatively dryer layers of air in the atmosphere to remain as snow.

The biggest problem you are having is the RH and dp though.
    For instance my dp is only -1c here at the opposite end of the country ... That rings alarm bells for me in terms of the snow making capacity of this airstream.
    It has travelled across the country yet only has a dp of -1c.
    It's very marginal but just on the right side of marginal in some places because of being inland or local flukes of the atmosphere drying out the air a bit and lowering the dp.

Air from the East when it's blown in hard or has been going a few days has much lower dp's and hence thats what I'm hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Heavy snow again. it's all sticking so far too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Pangea wrote: »
    Pure DISASTER, Raining away here ,
    Some snowspell ,Sickened.

Here =?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This first band is reasonably slow moving and looks to be keeping its strength decently, will give the north midlands, north leinster a few cms i think.. maybe push on down to Dublin even, but we will see. Cloud should reach Dublin around 0000 by my reckonings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

We have a winter wonderland here in Dromahair, its so beautiful :D
    Been for a couple of walks, so quiet and white!! there must be a good 3/4 inches at this stage. Every 20 mins or so it will start again for a minute or two, the flakes vary in size, the last ones were around the size of 2 euro coin, gorgeous :D:D:D:D

So sorry to all that haven't gotten some yet, and i say yet cause gotta hold out hope... been on this roller coaster for ages but loved every minute of it!!

Amazing that sligo has rain, when we have snow, its only few miles in road, but sea levels interfere i suppose and coastal town etc...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

i love how everything falls silent when it snows. Today I experienced that for the first time in a long time. It is magical. My three year old girl has been listening to me giving her my predictions on snowfall allw eek. Last few mornings she woke up and asked 'Can we make a snowman'. I came up with the ingenius idea of telling her the weatherman got it wrong again. She now things Met eireann is the antichrist:p

when it snwoed today, i threw her hat, scarf and my coat on here and picked her up and walked out into the snow. Her expression made me realise why I love snow myself.

Aww :)

Believe it or not, but there is a book writen on that very subject! Can't think of the name of it off hand but when I find it I intend doing a feature here on Boards. The climate of the west of Ireland is very complex. Often, it is thrown into one category by geographists and meteorologists, in other words, it is generalised.

Despite having what is generally termed a moderate climate compared to the rest of the country, some of the biggest extremes in Irish weather history have occured in the west; indeed, the warmest and lowest temps in anyone year, will more often than not, occur in the west. :)

yep...record rainfall in 2009 and record heatwave in 1995

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It started to loosen up but bitter cold again now; some snow also. I am way up high on a narrow lane so maybe someone lower down can advise?

Not been out since darkfall; still fighting flu..

Take care on that road ; maybe by Tuiesday they wil have cleared it.
    Bremner wrote: »
    Thanks Graces7. Postponed until tomorrow or Tuesday. Need to get up as herself wants to get back to mammy well before Christmas...What's it like in Donegal now? Was there a thaw at all?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement