Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

ch750536 wrote: »
    Here =?
    South Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

Not a flake in Athlone all week yet ..... nor did we get anything last Feb...
    North Mayo coast has got plenty of showers over last couple of hours but nothing stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

3hr-rain.gif

Looks like HIRLAM didnt expect showers to make it far inland either.

Back to the nowcasting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    yep...record rainfall in 2009 and record heatwave in 1995

Yep, another example would be Jan 87, which is often assumed to be an eastern event, yet lower temps were recorded in the west. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Pangea wrote: »
    Pure DISASTER, Raining away here ,
    Some snowspell ,Sickened.

Where's 'here'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

blast05 wrote: »
    Not a flake in Athlone all week yet ..... nor did we get anything last Feb...
    North Mayo coast has got plenty of showers over last couple of hours but nothing stuck.

Check out your window in the next while or now, should be some around there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

20090712_0492.jpg

It's gonna be a long one folks for us down a bit further.

Wibbler wrote: »
    Where's 'here'?
    Donegal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

People really should put there proper location in the correct box it would help a lot in threads like this! And if possible how high up you are.

How do i find out how high above sea level i am??

Yep, another example would be Jan 87, which is often assumed to be an eastern event, yet lower temps were recorded in the west. :)
    clear skies do tend to help...that time it was too cloudy and snowing too much in the East for temps to drop too much beyond river freezing levels :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Very severe frost just outside Shannon, a brief snow shower around 7.30, nothing since. That has since frozen. Road outside is now glazed with ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

baraca wrote: »
    People really should put there proper location in the correct box it would help a lot in threads like this! And if possible how high up you are.

Google maps, switch on 'terrain'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

does anyone think i will see any snow later in mid tipperary (i've given up trying to predict)

People really should put there proper location in the correct box
    ah be quiet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This cold spell has made me realised how many weather nutters there are!

This has got to be the most members i have ever seen on here! Amazing stuff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eireanbo

still white here in longford beautiful day...starting to snow slightly again hope it continues through the night...:D

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Right time for my 10.30 smoke.... outside again I go.. to the lovely, calm, rainy 4c evening that is South Donegal this evening:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

yeah i thought i was in a small group!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    i love how everything falls silent when it snows. Today I experienced that for the first time in a long time. It is magical. My three year old girl has been listening to me giving her my predictions on snowfall allw eek. Last few mornings she woke up and asked 'Can we make a snowman'. I came up with the ingenius idea of telling her the weatherman got it wrong again. She now things Met eireann is the antichrist:p

when it snwoed today, i threw her hat, scarf and my coat on here and picked her up and walked out into the snow. Her expression made me realise why I love snow myself.

MUNSTERLEGEND. They moved down tactical's way in west limerick and he got a slight covering i think. Dont know after that

Yep, know what you mean. Normally you couldn't get my 11 year old out the door, stuck to the Playstation or DS but he was out all day today, in snowball fights.

I lasted a half an hour!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

I love it on here originally start browsing this forum about two and a half years ago during summer looking for thunderstorms! I love the weather and learning about it it's so exciting and unpredictable just like me! ha :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Maynooth, ~75m asl. 0.9C according to my electronic thermometer, but reckon it's actually below freezing. Ice on the roads from light snow that melted in the afternoon, and a hard frost down - everything is glittering.

Metcheck says it'll be more or less clear all night, yr.no says snow before dawn. Either way, I reckon it'll be a very cold commute...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

irish1967 wrote: »
    Right time for my 10.30 smoke.... outside again I go.. to the lovely, calm, rainy 4c evening that is South Donegal this evening:mad:

Its windy up here in Letterkenny but we have no snow or rain.Was really mild earlier,I was out in a t-shirt no problem,couldent believe it. Just hope we get more snow tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Google maps or google earth?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Google Earth, go to terrain. I'd forgot and had to switch last night!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

clear skies do tend to help...that time it was too cloudy and snowing too much in the East for temps to drop too much beyond river freezing levels :pac:

True, which is why I pray for a full on easterly, but snow can do it too. Temps went below -10 over a large part during the December 2000 white out.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

redez.jpg

Come on snow! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Please Please Please,
    Would everyone posting in this brilliant thread click on the "user CP" area in the blue bar, on the left near the top of this page. Then click "edit your details" again left hand side near the top, and fill in your Location details (nearest town) then click on save at the bottom.

This would help greatly as we try to track this event across the country.

Many thanks,
    Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Roads & paths glassy with frost and ice. Clear starry sky. No sign of snow yet but fingers crossed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

:D

Poor lad though.
    Reminds of the old, "He's dead but he won't lie down.."
    I tried to ban him! Must of pressed the wrong button. Do you have to tick the box aswell ye?

:eek::o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement