Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Jake1 wrote: »
    Lucan here again, feck it, Im going to stay up till 12 so, see what happens. I burned my hand a while ago, and Id love to plunge it into cold snow. Serves me right for butchering a giant toblerone with a hot knife..

A definate candidate for Post of The day !!

One of the most awesome things I have read on boards recently.

LOl, the toblerone is the most awesome I ever saw, each square is larger than a cig packet. Thus me having to heat a knife..:)

This is it.
    http://www.thisnext.com/item/3BA67B3A/Toblerone-Jumbo
    I needed something to make it thru this snow thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

6 inches of snow on the mountan and nothing here only 200m awful im so angry this large band is my last chance!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

its going to take time tonight folks this band is only very slowly transferring south, my advice is to go to bed.

The first band doesnt looks like making it to Dublin but has made it quite far east and as the whole system moves south i am sure something will.

....and if things go sour in the meantime wc can delete this thread and convince you that it was just a bad dream you had! :pac:

Temp here is now 0.1c and DP of -1c, very white out there, from frost!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sounds delicious:) yearning!!
    LOl, the toblerone is the most awesome I ever saw, each square is larger than a cig packet. Thus me having to heat a knife..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Frequent local showers of soft hail/snow since mid day ,about 4cm on the ground here atm but the local road is impassible due to hard packed snow and gradient , temps hovering just above freezing .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

....and if things go sour in the meantime wc can delete this thread and convince you that it was just a bad dream you had! :pac:

Temp here is now 0.1c and DP of -1c, very white out there, from frost!

That's certainly the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

These showers look interesting, shame we cant see whats a little more to the left in the Atlantic!99583.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

There has been so many times though in my time on boards (5 years now :eek: ) that I have stayed up in the hope of snow only to be let down by a completely clear night... get up the next morning, flick the curtain back and just see frost, I don't expect anything different tonight... the encouraging part however is that it is normally Feb when that happens, great it is so early in the snow season :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

got a heavy shower of snow at around 7, and a couple since then, is it going to snow more later tonight, im living in limerick.... i didnt expect it to snow but it did.......:D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

snaps wrote: »
    These showers look interesting, shame we cant see whats a little more to the left in the Atlantic!99583.jpg

I'm diggin' that alright, that should head straight down the east coast... along with whatever other areas in the midlands, west etc. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

tony1212 wrote: »
    got a heavy shower of snow at around 7, and a couple since then, is it going to snow more later tonight, im living in limerick.... i didnt expect it to snow but it did.......:D

there seems to be a few showers drifting in from the atlantic for limerick - so you might get more. unlikely like cork to get it from the north unless the second band keeps intact on the way down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

BBC NI weather forecast just gone shows precip heading in a south westerly direction on the Irish sea. Snow for east coast as well out of that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

last snow I remember driving in, Dec 2000 took 8hrs from Randalstown co Antrim to Dublin.

Im going to hang on till about 12, then head to bed. Otherwise, Ill look like shane mcgowan in the morning, if I eat all the toblerone. No snow and no teeth?? nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This is it.
    http://www.thisnext.com/item/3BA67B3A/Toblerone-Jumbo
    I needed something to make it thru this snow thread.

Know how you feel.

I feel cheated.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

That cloud mass hitting the north coast the the moment is quite impressive.

from http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk

99591.jpg

It's also interesting to see http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm and spot that Killarney in kerry and ballyvourney in cork are experiencing lying snow. It underlines the impossible task of predicting where snow is going to fall and settle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Here in North West Cork the roads are covered in snow and it's freezing hard,the roads will be lethal in the morning.

WolfeIRE wrote: »

from

URL removed

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm[/URL] and spot that Killarney in kerry and ballyvourney in cork are experiencing lying snow. It underlines the impossible task of predicting where snow is going to fall and settle

WolfeIRE whats the story with that link ? Every time I refresh this boards page my browser trys to connect to it even through I havn't clicked on the link.....:confused: And it's asking me for a password ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

AS I stood in the mild damp calm night having a cigarette here in Donegal Town a few things confirmed them-self.

1. No matter how long you stare up at rain it doesn't turn to snow
    2. If you are in south Donegal and you can see you breath it means you are smoking a cigarette
    3. Looking at rain under a lamp post ain't really that romantic.
    4. Never trust red blobs
    5. The shortest day is the longest wait for snow.
    6. I smoke more when following the weather board.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like they have restricted that image to registered users only.

mad DIY wrote: »
    WolfeIRE whats the story with that link ? Every time I refresh this boards page my browser trys to connect to it even through I havn't clicked on the link.....:confused: And it's asking me for a password ....

you need to register. its free and only takes a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

from http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk

It's also interesting to see http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm and spot that Killarney in kerry and ballyvourney in cork are experiencing lying snow. It underlines the impossible task of predicting where snow is going to fall and settle

That post is causing the login window for dundee.ac.uk to popup for anyone who visits this page!

Save the image and attach it to the message instead ;)

Just taken the dogs out..no rain up here.. no great frost either but bitterly cold and the snow is still more or less intact.

Sky ; some stars but low cloud and even looks a little misty.

Still so very, very still and beautiful.

NB Would love to know how high up it is here. Certainly much colder than in Donegal Town...

Hibernation looks attractive.

Stay safe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

irish1967 wrote: »
    AS I stood in the mild damp calm night having a cigarette here in Donegal Town a few things confirmed them-self.

1. No matter how long you stare up at rain it doesn't turn to snow
    2. If you are in south Donegal and you can see you breath it means you are smoking a cigarette
    3. Looking at rain under a lamp post ain't really that romantic.
    4. Never trust red blobs
    5. The shortest day is the longest wait for snow.
    6. I smoke more when following the weather board.

:)

Head into doms for a few late pints, When you come out there might be a nice covering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Typically, that last batch of showers broke up before they reached here. :o

Ah.. how do we stop that!!!!!!
    Rougies wrote: »
    That post is causing the login window for dundee.ac.uk to popup for anyone who visits this page!

Save the image and attach it to the message instead ;)

you need to register. its free and only takes a minute
    Ah, but if I dont know the password, I can't get to register:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just been out side here,Sky clear,Getting cold and remaining snow beginning to freeze.

• Advertisement

here you go lads
    99590.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement