Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Temp 1C
    Dewpoint -3C

According to the sometimes questionable nearby weather station. Seems about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

mad DIY wrote: »
    Ah, but if I dont know the password, I can't get to register:pac:
    try the 'Register for free images' button;)

they send an email with your password

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just noticed this:

216 (90 members & 126 guests)

Wonder is that some kind of record?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Letterkenny was subjected to numerous fights last night-early morning as clubs emptied. The main street was a battle ground for many drunken revellers!

As said,you know its a good night when it ends in a snowball fight in Letterkennys' main street:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    try the 'Register for free images' button;)

they send an email with your password

If it were on the password screen :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

Check out your window in the next while or now, should be some around there now.

About 2 minutes of very light flakes in Athlone at 11:10pm..... pretty disappointing....

If it were on the password screen :)
    i gave the direct link in my original post. here it is again. http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk

what's good about the site is that it gives a very clear view of what is heading our way from the northwest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭willy wonka

Co Sligo
    absolutely amazing snow day today. Plenty of snow/sleet/hail showers today. Built a giant snowman.
    Snowed about 1 hour ago and left about 2 inches on the car!
    I was pinching myself all day because it was so magical!

I don't mean to rub it in folks. It's just been so long since I experienced proper decent snow like this. It was Dec 2000. Feb 2009 completely bypassed me with the exception of a few hours snow that was gone by lunchtime!

Hopefully the snow will be there tomorrow. Today was unreal.

BBC NI weather forecast just gone shows precip heading in a south westerly direction on the Irish sea. Snow for east coast as well out of that ?

I take it then that was probably an error on their part.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    i gave the direct link in my original post. here it is again. http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk

what's good about the site is that it gives a very clear view of what is heading our way from the northwest

Sorry, I thought that was the link it was trying to follow:o

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

A great electronic album that fits this moment every year for me is called 'Waiting for Snow' by a Swedish artist called Peter Benisch. Slightly off topic but kinda on topic if you are into some easy listening and enjoy snow... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

blast05 wrote: »
    About 2 minutes of very light flakes in Athlone at 11:10pm..... pretty disappointing....

well its better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick....LOL:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

This still makes no sense to me..how can Sligo and Lietrim be getting bucket loads of snow yet even south Donegal gets nothing but rain??

Surely if the wind is westerly in the south it'll be the same in those two counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

MUSEIST wrote: »
    well its better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick....LOL:D:p

...or a giant bar of Toblerone !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

oranmore now 23.30 nothing and to be honest sick of all this talk of snow
    hope i wake up to at least an inch of snow

Has a weather thread ever cleared 1000 posts in a day???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

irish1967 wrote: »
    Has a weather thread ever cleared 1000 posts in a day???

Well if every user following it right now made one post each...

Sleet!!!

Still no proper snow but thats the first sleet Ive seen since it got dark, things are looking up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A sleety mix of rain, hail and snow now. Nothing to heavy but absolutely trecherous out there with the rain freezing on impact. -0.2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Interesting update from Met Eireann. Notice that they have removed any mention of a specific region.....
    National Forecast

20 December 2009 22:48

Today

Heavy snow showers tonight and a widespread severe frost and icy surfaces. Lowest air temperatures zero to -4 degrees.

• Advertisement

:) just looking at my last 3 posts and they have nothing to do with snow.... can u tell I have lost hope??

:) just looking at my last 3 posts and they have nothing to do with snow.... can u tell I have lost hope??

See above..first bit of sleet in a while here, might head down to you if you're lucky

Harps wrote: »
    See above..first bit of sleet in a while here, might head down to you if you're lucky

Harps my man.. it will never make it through the gap !:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Harps wrote: »
    This still makes no sense to me..how can Sligo and Lietrim be getting bucket loads of snow yet even south Donegal gets nothing but rain??

Surely if the wind is westerly in the south it'll be the same in those two counties?

what if that poster is on higher ground than you or is further inland, to the point where the moderating influence of the atlantic is lessened due to the cold land?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kopp

The radar keeps showing cloudy or snow fall making its way towards Dublin and then it just disappears!! What gives? why is it building up and just gone by the time it makesto Leinster!!! DAMN THIS PLACE AND ITS CRAPPY LOCATION! :mad:

Here is an interesting shot. from what i can gather initially, the black/dark areas signify precip. I am probably wrong but i just compared the 11.30 sat24 show with this 11.15 shot and they correspond in that way

99592.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Cant wait, this pic was in 2000 but now 3 kids seats at this years table

...or a giant bar of Toblerone !! :D

LOL :);)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that front has now broken up dont think we'll get any flakes here in south meath unless the one coming into NI now manages to make it in one piece here later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The problem with the weather forum at the moment is that it is too busy, I cant keep track on responses to my last posts etc.
    We should have a seperate thread for each province ? Having the whole of Ireland in just one thread is a bit packed. Just an Idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement