Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Gonzo wrote: »
    still nothing here in the east, the showers keep dying out into thin air before they get here so i think thats it for the night. The big band up north is already shrinking, i doubt it will reach here.

There's a radar return missing on the last frame of RainToday, so they might not actually have shrunk so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

K-9 wrote: »
    LOL, More snow here!

That wonderful pic was attached to the irish times article i posted earlier.
    i did not take the pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

mad DIY wrote: »
    Well that's good news as it confirms that the showers coming across are actually snow, as I was about to ask based on raintoday was it snowing for anyone in Offaly. The better news for Dublin is that if the Offaly showers dont fizzle out, they will probably turn left as well and then be heading for Dublin.

Now, how many pages have appeared while I've been writing this.....:pac:
    Glad I could help, the snow lasted about 10 mins and briefly got heavy, the snow has stopped now. Hope there will be more to come.

And the 01:30 frame has all the radar returns missing again:mad: The monkey must have nodded off - or died with all the excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Looking like a heavy band of rain/snow heading towards me in Enniskillen!!:D
    Whats the weather doing in Dongeal at the moment for those who live in the area?? Any more lightning or thunder??

Boring as f*ck!

Nah seriously! East Donegal is treachorous. Freezing over snow from last night.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Public Service Announcement: Weather Watchers Ireland, WWI, have appointed me as their new chairman. It seems our previous chairman was kicked off boards earlier. It was felt that it didn't present our organisation in the best light, so I was elected at an EGM just now.

Ah no, only joking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

squonk wrote: »
    Public Service Announcement: Weather Watchers Ireland, WWI, have appointed me as their new chairman. It seems our previous chairman was kicked off boards earlier. It was felt that it didn't present our organisation in the best light, so I was elected at an EGM just now.

Ah no, only joking :D

it is spost snow heir tonit im my towns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

K-9 wrote: »
    Boring as f*ck!

Nah seriously! East Donegal is treachorous. Freezing over snow from last night.

Haha cheers K9, hopefully ya will get some snow b4 day-break!! :)

Rougies wrote: »

LMAO Rougies :D

missed this on Met Eireann site,probably was shown here already.

Weather Warning

Issued at 20 December 2009 - 20:00
    Severe cold weather up to Christmas Day
    1. Further heavy snow showers overnight.
    2. Severe frost countrywide overnight and with icy surfaces.
    3. Severe frost/icy conditions/freezing fog continuing through to Christmas morning.

Sure will be interesting though as to what shall happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Iam off anyway,cloud cover is moving on now.But aleast its not thawing out so hopefully tomorrow will bring more snow!

Clouds looking very threatening now..................altho not a drop/snow flake as fallen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Just back in now.

Beautiful crisp clear night outside.

Wish I'd bothered to set up the tripod and camera for some star shots tonight and a few long exposure shots as I seen 3 shooting stars while outside. Two were approx East to West while the brightese was approx North to South.

The 0130 Met Eireann rainfall radar is showing a promising return comming in from the Atlantic which may make West Limerick. Knowing my luck I'll just be gone to bed a decent slow moving shower will dump its contents around me and I'll miss it :(

Its been fun tonight and I'm off to catch a few Z's before it gets bright and chaos ensues in it morning around here when people find the roads are an ice rink.

Good night everyone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

redsunset wrote: »
    That wonderful pic was attached to the irish times article i posted earlier.
    i did not take the pic.

Cheers, nice pic, I'd love to see the poision glen from there though. Idyllic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Phil Avery on the weather spot on BBC Radio 2 just now gave a very decent honest forecast saying that as far as he could see now that the cold spell would break down at the weekend. He sees wet and windy weather for southern England and I'd say probably we're covered there too as he mentioned western areas being wet and the further east you are the drier.

redsunset wrote: »
    Well carry on talking rubbish,dont mind me.:D

latest online paper reports from irish times

Roads alert as north and northwest get worst of snow and deep freeze

ALISON HEALY and DAN KEENAN
    WHITE CHRISTMAS? MAYBE: Met Éireann forecaster Pat Clarke said there was still uncertainty about the weather on Christmas Day, but the low temperatures meant snow would probably still be present in parts of Ulster on Friday.

THE COLD snap of recent days is set to continue and a white Christmas could occur in some areas, according to Met Éireann.
    The north and northwest bore the brunt of weekend snowfalls and freezing temperatures, while driving conditions were dangerous in many parts of the country.

Between 10 and 20cm of snow was lying on high ground in parts of Ulster yesterday, while the weather station at Knock airport recorded four centimetres.

Motorists in counties such as Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal and Cavan encountered dangerous driving conditions, with freezing temperatures and icy roads.

The Garda and AA Roadwatch advised motorists to drive with extreme caution due to treacherous conditions in many parts of the country.
    AA Roadwatch urged particular caution on roads such as the Dublin/Belfast Road; the N3 Dublin/Cavan Road in Meath; the N4 Dublin/Sligo Road at Ballinalack; the N6 Dublin/Galway Road at Kilbeggan; the N2 in Monaghan; the M7 Portlaoise bypass; the N59 Galway/Westport Road; the N15 Sligo/Bundoran Road; the N16/A4 Sligo/Enniskillen Road and the N81 Tallaght/Baltinglass Road.

Heavy falls of snow at airports in the US, the UK and some European countries affected people intending to travel from Ireland yesterday.
    Washington had its biggest December snowfall in more than seven decades, while almost 59cm of snow was recorded at Philadelphia International Airport.

Flights going to and from the UK, Germany, France and eastern Europe were also delayed at various times yesterday.
    Dublin Airport Authority spokeswoman Siobhán Moore said the airport had no problems with the weather conditions but some airports abroad had closed for brief periods, which had a knock-on effect on flight arrivals and departures at Dublin.

“The delays vary. Some flights are leaving as normal. Others are a couple of hours delayed, but it’s not too bad,” she said.

Both Aer Lingus and Ryanair advised passengers to expect delays and possible cancellations and to check their websites for updates.
    Aer Lingus said 15 flights were cancelled yesterday due to problems at airports such as Manchester and Dusseldorf, while 20 flights were delayed by more than two hours.

Snowfall across northern counties badly affected Belfast International Airport and many roads along the Atlantic coast. The Rathlin ferry was also suspended.

The runway at Aldergrove was closed for a time after initial snowfalls in the early hours of yesterday. About 5cm accumulated, but this was soon cleared and the runway reopened. Passengers have been advised to check with their airline’s website before leaving for the airport.
    Heavier falls in the east and southeast of England have also had a knock-on effect on air services to Northern Ireland. George Best Belfast City Airport said it was operating normally yesterday.

Northern Ireland’s Roads Service said it was stepping up its work, while some farmers in north Antrim and Co Derry helped to clear some minor country roads.

Roads Service spokesman Dennis Wilson told UTV: “We are just battling against nature at the minute . . . People just need to slow down and take a lot of extra care.”

Roads have been gritted as part of an ongoing plan of work since 5pm on Saturday, but the Roads Service added that some traffic was needed to help break up ice on the roads and to speed up the melting process on surfaces treated with salt.

And, according to BBC news, it was unusual snow conditions in France that knocked out the Eurostars, the snow shields on the engines that have been sufficient for the last 15 years cannot keep snow from being sucked into the engines with the current extreme conditions in France. That goes to show this isn't a usual run of mill European cold spell.

squonk wrote: »
    Phil Avery on the weather spot on BBC Radio 2 just now gave a very decent honest forecast saying that as far as he could see now that the cold spell would break down at the weekend. He sees wet and windy weather for southern England and I'd say probably we're covered there too as he mentioned western areas being wet and the further east you are the drier.

Hope he's not referring to the weekend just gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Rougies wrote: »

Ha Ha! I nominate this as post of the week! :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

mad DIY wrote: »
    That goes to show this isn't a usual run of mill European cold spell.

I don't want to sound flippant but what disturbed me was the death of at least 15 homeless people who froze to death in Poland. What disturbed me even more was watching middle class drop outs, doing da dreadlock ting yeah.., protesting about Climate Change all wrapped up in their expensive gear while real people with no one to fight or speak up them die from the cold in horrific circumstances. :(

The world we live is fecking crazy sometimes. :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

snowing here now in Navan rural

• Advertisement

Clouds now increasing from Donegal/Ballyshannon, bringing with them rain, light hail and the odd snow flake!!

I'd say when the main band arrives it will turn to snow, however its interesting to see that some of the snow has infact melted off the car since I last looked out to check!! :confused: Strange.

Anyway, I think I'll pack it in now, and hope to re-join the fun and games 2morro...or later today looking at the time!!

It's goodnight from Enniskillen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Awh I never commented much in this >grand marathon thread.

But, what happened to actual weather predictions?! Some of us are still waiting to see if troughs or mesocyclones are going to deliver for us. Namely Pale folk:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

malman wrote: »
    snowing here now in Navan rural

Nothing in the town yet :-(

Just been out and there are clear skies with some light cloud but some flakes of very fine stuff bowing around. Not sure what it is as it's not overly cloudy. Perhaps it's frozen dew particles being picked up with the wind or could it be very light snow?

Another article from Irish Times today.

Big freeze set to spread across country

By Seán McCárthaigh
    Monday, December 21, 2009

MORE wintry showers are predicted for large parts of Ireland today after heavy frost caused major disruption on roads across the country yesterday.

Severe weather conditions across Britain, Europe and the US also led to some lengthy delays to flights at Dublin Airport.

Disruption to travel plans could continue today as the cold snap is expected to last for the remainder of Christmas week.

AA Roadwatch has warned that many roads will remain icy into the late morning as temperatures will struggle to rise much above zero.

Met Éireann are predicting wintry showers of sleet and snow today in Ulster and Connacht spreading into west Munster and north Leinster.

Temperatures will again only reach as high as 1°-4°C, although it will not feel as cold as yesterday due to lighter winds.

However, it will become extremely cold tonight in most parts with severe frost and icy stretches including patches of freezing fog in some areas.

Icy roads were reported in many parts of the midlands and Co Wicklow, yesterday while treacherous conditions were also reported between Drimoleague and Bantry and the old Cork road between Rathcormack and Mitchelstown.

In the North heavy falls of snow were reported with drifts of 200mm in some places.

Gardaí are also advising motorists to avoid the Wicklow and Sally Gaps and to take care around Glencree, Co Wicklow. Last night the Killakee Road was impassable at Kippure on the approach to the Wicklow Gap with some vehicles reported to be stuck in the snow.

Meanwhile, the Dublin Airport Authority is advising passengers to check details of their flights with the DAA or their airlines before setting off for the airport, although it is hoped that schedules will operate as normal today.

Some air travellers using Dublin Airport faced disruption yesterday with one Continental Airways flight from Newark delayed by seven hours, while several Aer Lingus and Ryanair flights also faced delays of more than five hours.

There were delays of up to two hours at Cork Airport on flights to and from Amsterdam and Paris.

Met Éireann are remaining tight-lipped about the likelihood of a White Christmas.

"Christmas Day will be sub-zero at night, so anywhere could get a snow shower," said a Met Éireann spokesperson.

Bookmakers Paddy Power are offering odds of 7/4 that at least one millimetre of snow will fall at Dublin Airport on December 25.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

im more interested in the rest of the weeks activity tbh. seems tuesday and wednesday will be fairly quiet activity-wise. Thursdays gonna be the deal breaker though. Looking around, most forecasts seem to suggest that we're gonna get some rain in the south, and sleet/snow in the midlands and east, but the northerly low will hold back any persistant warm fronts til St.Stephens day at least. Hope its true

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Nothing in the town yet :-(

only got a dusting so far and while it is still falling it is very light, similiar to what squont described

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Awh I never commented much in this >grand marathon thread.

But, what happened to actual weather predictions?! Some of us are still waiting to see if troughs or mesocyclones are going to deliver for us. Namely Pale folk:p

Nice...but I prefer "polar mesoscale vortices" myself. I love these nowcast situations, especially since it causes so much panic education!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

malman wrote: »
    only got a dusting so far and while it is still falling it is very light, similiar to what squont described

Where abouts in Navan are ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

down to -2.6
    Dp at -3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement