Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

For the cheerfulness and laughter.

As some know, we were flooded out a few weeks ago and had to move in great haste; since when, ill with a recurring cold/flu. Still half unpacked thus.

And much colder up here in a house long empty.

This morning is sheer beauty; still 3 or more inches of lying snow, crisp and glittering on top.

WISH i could find the camera cable!! Ah well.. I will try to get down to Town on Christmas Eve and replace it. Need some Christmas food also!!

Peace and snow this day!!

It has been and is so good to read and share.

THANK YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just seen this

Issued at 21 December 2009 - 06:00
    Web weather warning
    1. Further snow/hail showers today in parts of the Southwest, West and Northwest.
    2. Severe frosts/icy conditions/freezing fog continuing through to Christmas morning

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Had one snow shower during the night. Got a light dusting First one of 2009:D. Hoping that echo over Clare can reach South Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Woke up to a hard frost in Swords this morning. It looks like a few flakes of snow fell overnight, but as predicted those showers didn't make it far enough south and east to affect Dublin.

The ensembles for Dublin are showing average 850 temps below the 30 year averages right into January (apart from a slight blip around the 27th). I don't think I've ever seen one of these where the mean has been below the average for almost the entire run.

MT8_Dublin_ens.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

did'nt get much last night but this is what we had last feb

http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/paddybar/snow%202009/?albumview=slideshow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

a few flakes fell dureing the night,this has been the most disapointing "event"
    looks like i'll have to wait for the next one
    can any of you expert's tell me how this event was so nailed on but yet never happened for most,the beasterly's that lasted all of two hours for instance,how did the models all get it wrong till it was nearly a now event???
    a big thanks and thumbs up to all of you with the knowledge that kept us all going for the last fortnight(two weeks weather watching :eek:)
    here's to the next snowfest :rolleyes:

Graces7 wrote: »
    For the cheerfulness and laughter.

As some know, we were flooded out a few weeks ago and had to move in great haste; since when, ill with a recurring cold/flu. Still half unpacked thus.

And much colder up here in a house long empty.

This morning is sheer beauty; still 3 or more inches of lying snow, crisp and glittering on top.

WISH i could find the camera cable!! Ah well.. I will try to get down to Town on Christmas Eve and replace it. Need some Christmas food also!!

Peace and snow this day!!

It has been and is so good to read and share.

THANK YOU!

They named you well Grace. You have shown us, how even under the most strenuous of circumstnces, you can still keep your humour and enjoy the beauty around you. I think you are incredible. The very best to you and yours in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

There seems to be a band moving down from the North, it looks like it could brin quite a bit with it.

Just an update on conditions here: Must have snowed more last night as I can't tell where the lawn ends and the driveway begins. Roads are a pure mess, I doubt they'll be gritted either as it's hard enough for cars to drive on. I'll take a few pics in a while.

Can anyone give me a quick forecast for Dublin today, ie snow or no snow?? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temperature: 0.2 °C
    Dew Point: -0.1 °C

Very icey and frosty out. Looks very Christmasy. Hope it stays. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Jake1 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a quick forecast for Dublin today, ie snow or no snow?? Thanks.
    There might be a chance of some towards the afternoon but it's very slim. I'm no expert though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Will stick out the brass neck and say no snow for Dublin today,unless a rogue shower makes it way from the northwest. You'll be in the same boat as me, I don't expect anything else here today, but you hold out hope for being proved wrong.

We're just too far inland and away from the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Heavy snow or hail showers today over west Munster, Connacht and Ulster; isolated elsewhere with good sunny spells. Icy conditions generally this morning and frost persisting through the day and snow lying with temperatures rising no higher than zero to 4 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It's looking increasingly unlikely - those showers are dying out over the midlands. Anyway, a northerly never delivers in the Dublin area, I've only once ever seen snow from a northerly in Dublin and that was the end of Dec 2000.
    Things are looking bleak in eastern areas- a good easterly seems to have gone the same way as the dinosaurs- complete extinction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

ch750536 wrote: »
    Heavy snow or hail showers today over west Munster, Connacht and Ulster; isolated elsewhere with good sunny spells. Icy conditions generally this morning and frost persisting through the day and snow lying with temperatures rising no higher than zero to 4 degrees.

Ian Dempsey said the exact same thing word for word;)

Main roads fine here in Derry, estates very bad, looks like we could have more snow this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Web_radar.gif

Nice precip on it's way to me :)

dobsdave wrote: »
    Ian Dempsey said the exact same thing word for word;)

Main roads fine here in Derry, estates very bad, looks like we could have more snow this morning.

true, did kinda make them my own words, not intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Husband traveled from Dromahair to Sligo this morning via Lough Gill and the roads were really dangerous, car was all over the road. There is definite melting here though and even since 6am there has been a notable decrease of snow on ground, despite a short hail shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Me stuck!! Hill to house ffrizen solid. Nothin up or down. Looks like I am stuck in front of my iPhone and Dell for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

jambofc wrote: »
    a few flakes fell dureing the night,this has been the most disapointing "event"
    looks like i'll have to wait for the next one
    can any of you expert's tell me how this event was so nailed on but yet never happened for most,the beasterly's that lasted all of two hours for instance,how did the models all get it wrong till it was nearly a now event???
    a big thanks and thumbs up to all of you with the knowledge that kept us all going for the last fortnight(two weeks weather watching :eek:)
    Exactly my thoughts and I live in Donegal!
    No snow event at all , snow not even mesurable.

• Advertisement

eskimocat wrote: »
    Husband traveled from Dromahair to Sligo this morning via Lough Gill and the roads were really dangerous, car was all over the road. .
    Your husband is mad driving in that! :)

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Web_radar.gif

Nice precip on it's way to me :)

Started sleeting about 2 mins ago now we've got fairly heavy snow :D

Same here Pangea. Not ONE flake of snow did I see yesterday. I mean that's just so far from the forecast it isn't even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Still around 2C in Galway City, it's a wet grey morning.

Started sleeting about 2 mins ago now we've got fairly heavy snow :D

On iPhone here can't see your location. Where are you.

irish1967 wrote: »
    On iPhone here can't see your location. Where are you.

North Kerry...It's not staying though,Just melting!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

For those of you in the South and East, and west Donegal... this is for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QNYj61wMRI

North Kerry...It's not staying though,Just melting!

Cant be too far from me, all I can see is snow.

eta, just started snowing again

Seems to be bad in sligo
    http://oceanfm.ie/news/2009/12/21/list-of-school-closures/

So whats the heaviest snowfall depth we have ?
    Hows letterkenny doing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like the GFS was mostly right afterall, showers fairly confined to the west and northwest last night, didn't spread down south very far.

Absolutely freezin here this morning in Waterford, very frosty/icey. -1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement