Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Carndonagh which is not too far from letterkenny is also now reporting an above zero dewpoint which means if the air over malin head spreads,then they will have rain soon too.

so are you saying say the arctic air is being cut off or modified by atlantic air?? i didn't think this would happen so soon:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

see the snow event is awful its unfair what can we do to get a little bit of bleepin snow!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

so are you saying say the arctic air is being cut off or modified by atlantic air?? i didn't think this would happen so soon:(

Uppers (850's) are currently averaging around -6c over the country at the moment but are expected to rise to somewhere between -3c to -5c later on today. Rain is quite possible, but snow still very possible inland. Either way, showers should return fully to snow later on as the surface temp drops once again.

Worry not Nacho! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

owenc wrote: »
    see the snow event is awful its unfair what can we do to get a little bit of bleepin snow!!!
    you managed to see much more than the majority of the island. You are luckier than most.

That appears to be the evidence.
    The showers currently coming into the inishowen peninsula in Donegal are of rain.
    That points to a big atlantic maratime mix.

It will spoil the party for coastal areas and possibly low ground inland.

Bring back the Beasterly I say :D

• Advertisement

Uppers (850's) are currently averaging around -6c over the country at the moment but are expected to rise to somewhere between -3c to -5c later on today. Rain is quite possible, but snow still very possible inland. Either way, showers should return fully to snow later on as the surface temp drops once again.

Worry not Nacho! ;)

Thanks paddy1.:) lovely big flakes falling again now!!

That appears to be the evidence.
    The showers currently coming into the inishowen peninsula in Donegal are of rain.
    That points to a big atlantic maratime mix.

It will spoil the party for coastal areas and possibly low ground inland.

Bring back the Beasterly I say :D

ugh so ill get rain... i think the low in scotland is my last resource... but note showers still snow here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Been 'snowing' here for 10 minutes plus.. its more like light hail / rain. Sky is a lot grayer than a few hours ago

heavy snow shower here now in west clare. Sticking.

Thanks paddy1.:) lovely big flakes falling again now!!

Ha ha, nice one. Can see your shower all the way from here. Love watching them die their savage death as the head down this way. As BB says, bring back the easterly. At least the airmass would feel more comfortable than this! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Few photos of the snow near Listowel Co.Kerry
    attachment.php?attachmentid=99504&stc=1&d=1261305665
    attachment.php?attachmentid=99505&stc=1&d=1261305665
    attachment.php?attachmentid=99506&stc=1&d=1261305665
    attachment.php?attachmentid=99507&stc=1&d=1261305665

ugh so ill get rain...
    At times being on the coast yes.
    The air is still very cold so most inland places will be having snow albeit with a snow rain mix at times.

Keep an eye on local dewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Few photos of the snow near Listowel Co.Kerry

about the same here, still snowing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Great pics there Ricky91t

irish1967 wrote: »
    Been 'snowing' here for 10 minutes plus.. its more like light hail / rain. Sky is a lot grayer than a few hours ago

damn. it's only a matter of time before that happens here so. so i better enjoy it while i can:)

At times being on the coast yes.
    The air is still very cold so most inland places will be having snow albeit with a snow rain mix at times.

Keep an eye on local dewpoint.

i cantt! will the showers be of rain tonight...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

havnt changed to rain yet will enjoy it while i can was expecting 10cm from this snow some chance of that!

Ha ha, nice one. Can see your shower all the way from here. Love watching them die their savage death as the head down this way. As BB says, bring back the easterly. At least the airmass would feel more comfortable than this! :p

don't worry i'll bring a bag of snow down to you:D i was planning on taking a trip somewhere in the afternoon anyway:)

i cantt! will the showers be of rain tonight...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

havnt changed to rain yet will enjoy it while i can was expecting 10cm from this snow some chance of that!

the showers at night should definitely be of snow. unless the atlantic really breakthroughs later today. there is no indication of that from the models though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea dews will rise a little as the air gets mixed abit.

More precip = more borderline.. just the way it goes, but forecasts just have things on the right side with dewpoints meant to be around 0 to -2c from this afternoon ( colder now).. so unless you are say 5-10 miles from an exposed coast i would say you should see snow, maybe a slight thaw for a wee time from say 3-5 across some parts of Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temperature: -1.5 °C
    Dew Point: -1.8 °C

Very frosty and ice about everywhere. Sun is shining, so it should melt soon enough.
    I see by the raintoday radar that there is just as much snow about in the north as there was yesterday.

• Advertisement

the showers at night should definitely be of snow. unless the atlantic really breakthroughs later today. there is no indication of that from the models though.

Story as to what is happening. Cold fridged air moving west out of Scandinavia. It remains cold on the northern side of the current low but begins to scoop up warmer air from the warmer sea surface on the western side of the said low.

This has the effect of warming 2m temps but also increases instability, as can be seen on the latest Sats. These warmer air pockets will no doubt effect the west and north coasts but if showers start increasing in frequency and intensity, then this could neutralize the whole process.

Nothing out of the ordinary really.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

0.9C in Maynooth, -0.6 overnight. Very light snow on the ground, sky is clearing. Very pretty out there.

ok well im just gonna wait to tonight and hope for the snow not to melt away so that anythig that comes will lie and will add to todays totalls.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There is a band of heavy snow that is around 50 miles north of Ulster which will be a test to see willl these showers make it past the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

Couple pic of snow in my backyard

post-7971-12613061082813_thumb.jpgpost-7971-12613061368413_thumb.jpg

precip chart for next 3 hours. Very much confined to coasts.

3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Supposed to be heading from D15 up to Glendalough today. Anyone know what the roads are like?

There is a band of heavy snow that is around 50 miles north of Ulster which will be a test to see willl these showers make it past the border.

yes that is quite heavy looking should get here in the next 2 hours ... on precipitation still falling as snow here but graupel and very light.... if preciptation turns to rain how long for it to turn back to snow and should the snow melt much:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Temp already gone up in the last ten minutes..

Was -1.5 now -0.4 °C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Very, very light snow shower at the moment just beginning in West Limerick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement