Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Close to 2 inches of snow fell here overnight, I think we can expect more but I don't want to get my hopes up !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

There is a band of heavy snow that is around 50 miles north of Ulster which will be a test to see willl these showers make it past the border.
    thanks for the info- hoping it makes it to belfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

DaveD wrote: »
    Supposed to be heading from D15 up to Glendalough today. Anyone know what the roads are like?

Dave i wouldn't be making that trip unless its vital, road conditions are very bad, Hills are covered in snow. 5 days before xmas is it worth it, i wouldn't be taking the risk Dave.

Anyway -1 in Tallaght at the foot of the hills its sunny now, but extremely dark clouds coming over the hills in the distance, Will report back in a half hour or so to see if they hold any substance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

just checked nw eglinton is 2c dp 0c so about 0.5c and a dp of around -1c id say then, plus its more colder than that i would love to think..... so no rain yet thk god. im just happy now its a cold day and bits of snow are surviving, and that means will freeze up tonight for anything that comes..... what can we expect tonight hopefully a more larger and sucessfull covering.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Stopped again, what had fallen earlier has melted a good bit in the sun we've had this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Snow shower in NW Cork ATM. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

had 2 quite heavy snow showers on moycullen barna border in galway all sticking too , hopefully some more on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

barnicles wrote: »
    Snow shower in NW Cork ATM. :D

I thought leahyl would be on by now... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Story as to what is happening. Cold fridged air moving west out of Scandinavia. It remains cold on the northern side of the current low but begins to scoop up warmer air from the warmer sea surface on the western side of the said low.

This has the effect of warming 2m temps but also increases instability, as can be seen on the latest Sats. These warmer air pockets will no doubt effect the west and north coasts but if showers start increasing in frequency and intensity, then this could neutralize the whole process.

Nothing out of the ordinary really.

yeah i see what you're saying the warmer air will increase the shower activity but then the risk of that is things becoming marginal. no such worries for most of scotland i bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Updated countrywide report fron AA for anyone travelling today.
    Updated: 20/12/2009 11:09:32 **CONDITIONS** Widespread sharp ground frost this morning, on most routes with icy stretches likely on untreated roads. Hail, sleet and snow showers affecting Ulster and Connaught will spread to west Munster and north Leinster. Drive with extreme care, particularly on secondary routes and in sheltered areas. Remember gentle manouvers is the key to safe driving. *Worst affected areas; Gardai in Counties Cavan, Donegal and Meath are advising motorists not to travel. Other areas to take care due to snow and icy roads are in Counties Sligo, Leitrim, Longford, and Louth. Take extreme care on the old N6 between Galway and Craughwell and Ballinasloe and Athlone. Roads are also very icy in Counties Clare, Cork, Kildare, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Roscommon and Monaghan.
    *CORK* Very icy conditions on the Drimoleague to Bantry route (along R586 and the N71). Avoid if possible. *WICKLOW* Gardai advise motorists to avoid the Wicklow and Sally Gaps and take extreme care around Glencree. *WEXFORD* Extreme care is advised due to ice around Gorey particulaly in Hollyfort, Aanagh and the Courtown Rd out of Gorey.
    *CITY TRAFFIC* *CORK* No major problems for city centre traffic. * Tuckey St is closed to facilitate 'Christmas on the Grand Parade' until 10pm. *LIMERICK* No exceptional delays to report on around Limerick City. *GALWAY* Icy conditinons across the city. drive with extreme care. *WATERFORD* Moving well for the most part around Waterford city at the moment. *DUBLIN* See the 'Dublin Summary' for a full update. EVENTS* See 'Events' for further details. *CORK/KERRY* A charity cycle departed Killarney at 8am and are travelling to Cork via the N22. *TIPPERARY* Racing takes place at Thurles Racecourse today. The first race is at 12:35pm and the last race is at 3:35pm.
    *M6/GALWAY* The M6 Galway/Ballinasloe Rd has officially opened to the public. The tolled road should reduce the journey time by up to 30mins. The toll plaza is located half way between Ballinasloe and Loughrea at Cappataggle. For further details see 'News and Advice'. *N25/CORK* Works take place on the N25 Cork/Waterford Rd between Cork and Midleton on Monday 21st Dec from 6am - 3.30pm. Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Cobh Cross and Midleton. *N2/MEATH* A new set of traffic lights are in operation on the N2 Dublin/Monaghan Rd at the Fairyhouse Cross (Primatestown jct) just north of Ashbourne. *M7/TIPPERARY* A 7km section of the M7 Nenagh Bypass has opened to traffic (including the Thurles Interchange). Full motorway restrictions now apply. *Note* Temporary Traffic Management (and speed restrictions) will remain in place on both the eastern and western ends of this section of motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

hi guys, i just have a few questions, what are the chances of some widespread snow showers around the south (i.e limerick), and is there any chance of any big snowfall all this week, or is it too early to say, sorry if i am asking stupid questions, i am just very interested in the weather, thanks tony;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Leahyl is probably out in any snow right now :p

Passing light shower at the moment but it'll stop again any second, at least someone else will get the benefit of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Thanks paddy1.:) lovely big flakes falling again now!!

Sorry Nacho, can you remind me where you are again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

yeah i see what you're saying the warmer air will increase the shower activity but then the risk of that is things becoming marginal. no such worries for most of scotland i bet.

But the further they travel inland, the more likely DP will drop once the showers kick off. All it would take is a heavier burst to make temp fall to appropriate levels again.

Anyways, Nuala Carey just on the RTE weather; she spoke of possible "blizzard conditions" at times over the north and northwest at times today.

heavy snow here again.

the uk precipitation chart shows the showers dying a death just south of the midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Heavy shower on now here in Enniskillen. Dunno how to describe it, kinda like tiny hail/snow flakes. Strange, but is already lying on already inch or so of now!!:D

eskimocat wrote: »
    Sorry Nacho, can you remind me where you are again?

He lives in Mayo. I know what you mean, it is easy to forget that name...;):p

But the further they travel inland, the more likely DP will drop once the showers kick off. All it would take is a heavier burst to make temp fall to appropriate levels again.

Anyways, Nuala Carey just on the RTE weather; she spoke of possible "blizzard conditions" at times over the north and northwest at times today.

yeah that's true but my experience has been anytime we get too much snow here it just eventually turns sleety.

there is no wind here at the moment. a blizzard later on would be very nice.

tony1212 wrote: »
    hi guys, i just have a few questions, what are the chances of some widespread snow showers around the south (i.e limerick), and is there any chance of any big snowfall all this week, or is it too early to say, sorry if i am asking stupid questions, i am just very interested in the weather, thanks tony;)

There are chances Limerick might see a few showers, very difficult to predict next week but at the moment it doesnt look like there will be any significant snow over the country after the weekend. Subject to change though. :pac:

He lives in Mayo. I know what you mean, it is easy to forget that name...;):p

you're just envious cause the snow has the good sense to avoid Tuam:p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

showers have gone and peeped down now but for some reason its cloudy which is good which should drop temps and dp heavy snow coming down from scotland though...
    should the cloud drop temp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 m1988

i have to travel from lucan to carrick on shannon has anyone any idea what the driving conditions are like in longford? we'll be using the main roads and wont be going through the town itself...

There are chances Limerick might see a few showers, very difficult to predict next week but at the moment it doesnt look like there will be any significant snow over the country after the weekend. Subject to change though. :pac:

it will be interesting to see the farming forecast today. in these situations met eireann can't win. if they ramp it up and get it wrong people will complain( most likely us:p) and if they are caught out another set of people will complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Have to hit the road, gotta leave wee lad back to his home in Edenary, not liking what i am hearing about enniskilllen for driving so going to go now, when there is still only small bit and no blizzard!! wish us luck. No too bad at driving in snow, so hopefully things will go well.

Enjoy you all, and fingers crossed for those waiting with eyes to the skies *************

m1988 wrote: »
    i have to travel from lucan to carrick on shannon has anyone any idea what the driving conditions are like in longford? we'll be using the main roads and wont be going through the town itself...

the main roads should be okay. as usual it's the untreated back road you have to be wary of.

you're just envious cause the snow has the good sense to avoid Tuam:p

My day will come! Hopefully when they do arrive there will be some thunder in the mix!

My day will come! Hopefully when they do arrive there will be some thunder in the mix!

it did mention, on the radio forecast last night, with the winds picking up later on today the possibility of thunder in places.

it did mention, on the radio forecast last night, with the winds picking up later on today the possibility of thunder in places.

Lightning being picked up off the Donegal and Antrim coasts over the last hour or so. Main band of showers moving closer....

And maybe one of these too? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XJwlweRNQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I watched that one coming down from up here... no neighbours here..
    irish1967 wrote: »
    Donegal town about to get a shower now. Can see it coming. Neighbour looking at me strangely cause I am standing in the snow in the middle of the road typing this. Lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement