Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Lightning being picked up off the Donegal and Antrim coasts over the last hour or so. Main band of showers moving closer....

erm were are you getting this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

From past long experience of that road, it may well be blocked.

After Killybegs it will get very hairy; are you in a four wheel drive? If not, would wait, to be honest. I got stuck on a hill on the way in on Ash Weds a few years back.

Can you postpone?
    Bremner wrote: »
    Irish1967, I need to get up to Glencolmcille - how bad are the roads now? That bypass looks dangerous enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Intermittent snow showers here all morning on the Louth/Monaghan border northwest of Ardee. We're up quite high, I just wonder are we too far south for a decent fall of snow at any stage today.

There is a fine layer of lying snow but we need more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Pelting down huge chunks of snow in Castlebar now, already adding to some on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

showers dying off here now.

could someone explain why the shower activity will start to die off on monday if the low over scotland is coming further south and stay on the same track. is it a case of the low weakening too much or that it cuts off the north westerly airflow?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Here in Sligo, at pretty much sea level, the weather is best described as cee argh eyh pee.

The sun is out, temps are above zero, everything is dripping, squelching, soggy. On top of that, it still is pretty damn cold, so no incentive to go out in the muck.
    Every half hour or so the world turns dark and there is another 5 min shower of graupel, adding to the squelch as soon as the sun returns. Not enough white stuff to even make a snowball, never mind a snowman, just muck.

Yuck !

ok thats weird some of them strikes are only 5miles away as the crow flies so i should of heard somethign though heard or seen nothing........ still snow here but is melting on grass so you can see grass now (spikes) hopefuly we will get loads tonight........ though sun has come out will need to go away soon as itll rise temps and melt more ,showers better hurry up and get here hopefully as snow........ btw on that when should the showers turn back to snow?

Looks like a ghost town..

Up here the snow on the lane is almost untouched; maybe 3 cars have passed all day. Pure, white and deadly.

Frustration here... went out with the digital camera and the dogs; some wonderful clouds and visible precipitation. The snow at the back is actually around 4 inches.

But cannot find either the battery charger OR the lead for the camera; had to move in haste a few weeks ago because of flooding. And they are missing.

I imagine I can replace the lead? Ah well,, the photos will still be there later, but wanted them for my weblog.

quote=irish1967;63581109]Same location as 2 hours ago... this is the main road... not much moving

Donegal Town bypass... 10am
    bypass10.jpg[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

• Advertisement

Was out in that; wee icy pellets.

Snow came later though:)
    irish1967 wrote: »
    Been 'snowing' here for 10 minutes plus.. its more like light hail / rain. Sky is a lot grayer than a few hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

the little that did fall is melting rapidly :(
    tryied in vain to make a snow man,no luck

snow shower just passed still falling as snow here so hopefullly wont change to rain...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

peasant wrote: »
    Here in Sligo, at pretty much sea level, the weather is best described as cee argh eyh pee.

The sun is out, temps are above zero, everything is dripping, squelching, soggy. On top of that, it still is pretty damn cold, so no incentive to go out in the muck.
    Every half hour or so the world turns dark and there is another 5 min shower of graupel, adding to the squelch as soon as the sun returns. Not enough white stuff to even make a snowball, never mind a snowman, just muck.

Yuck !

Its disappointing alright. Hopefully some heavy stuff will come our way. 2.2C

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Mid day report show temp at Shannon at 2 degrees.

a lot of precip in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Snow shower about an hour ago In Westmeath, sun out now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Graupelthats the word I was looking for. Loads of that here right now and for last half hour or so. What would it take to change that to proper snow???

Iook me a few minutes to work that one out:)

I could make a snowman here, but too cold...

Yuck !

Temp at carndonagh is now at 4.6c and a dp of +0.6c
    That would be rain territory.

REAL snow now....light shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

In south Kerry, no frost or no snow, not even on the montains:( Little cloud cover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yuck !

I drove through Sligo on my way home from Belfast this morning, I think you're just too near the sea, there was a lot of snow all the way from Enniskillen down the N16, but just outside Sligo it disappeared. By the time I got down to Ballinacarrow on the N17 everywhere was covered again.

The most snow i saw on the journey was in north Leitrim, east of Manorhamilton in the Glenfarne area. Could easily have been 4 inches on the road there, treacherous driving conditions, but a great spectacle. Saw a lot of crazy skidmarks and a few abandoned cars along the way and had a bit of a scary moment myself in Charlestown, so be careful if you're heading out.

It's been snowing in Castlebar for the last half hour but its just stopped again there now. Still a nice bit on the ground though, and there could be some more showers to come in. Mayo seems to be doing well out of this cold snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Clear skies here in Portlaw, Co.Waterford. Not a cloud in the sky. Cold though with frost in the fields. No snow forecast here either:(

Temp at carndonagh is now at 4.6c and a dp of +0.6c
    That would be rain territory.

well this is probably wrong but its 1.4c here and a dp of -1c and we have had snow just 20 minutes ago, but itll likely turn to rain soon :mad: 65% of the snow is still here but if the sun dosnt go itll be 45%:mad: waiting for the heavy shower to come in from scotland now...... we shall see what it is falling as....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Today at 12.00

today%2020%2012%2009.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

just outside donegal town at the moment and going to take a walk down to the main road to see what the roads are like. I have to head back to dublin this afternoon, not looking forward to that. Going to go via sligo, leaving here about 2 or 3. has anyone done the journey or going to be going in a similar direction that can tell me what the roads are lile.
    Temp here is 2c, wind is 5kmh, dew is 1c, weather station has changed from snow symbol to rain. pressure us 997.8 from a high of 1008 here this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Mid day report show temp at Shannon at 2 degrees.

a lot of precip in West Clare.
    a good bit on the coastal fringes only Billy. Miltown Malbay down to Kilkee getting a bit. Not much happening about 10 miles from coast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Nice heavy snow here at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

lots heading donegal way before 33hr-rain.gif

• Advertisement

huh!!!! the showers up north have turned to hail will these be snow when they reach here temp is 1.6c dp is -0.8c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement