Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (20/12/09) (Heavy snow showers spreading south)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

hartenm wrote: »
    I have to say I'm extremely displeased by all these posts... I LOVE snow and here I am in Dublin city and not a SINGLE snowflake has fallen!!?

So unfair!!!!!!!! Can I expect snow here later on??

I drove up to donegal last night from dublin as I didnt want my wife driving up today on her own with the baby. Temp here was -1 when we arrived at 8pm, dropped last night and then snowed. Unfortunetly have to go back to dublin now and if there is more snow expected by 3pm i think I will leave now to try to miss it. if you want snow head to longford or leitrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Started snowing again, seems to be a mixture of light hail and snow. Can anyone tell me (and sorry if it's been asked here b4!) what graphel is??

Another pretty poor forecast from Gerry Murphy on RTE...

He really showed up the nonsense today...

He said wenesday and thursdays weather was uncertain...and then went on to say that it was certain that the atlantic would come roaring in at the weekend...

How can you be uncertain about midweek and yet be certain about the following weekend..
    Why do they allow rubbish like that in a forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

a significant change in the weather occuring on st. stephens day with a return to southwest winds and rain. back to the usually muck! :(

a significant change in the weather occuring on st. stephens day with a return to southwest winds and rain. back to the usually muck! :(
    As I said,thats pure speculation on gerry murphys part.
    He should have said possibly...because HE DEFINITELY DOES NOT KNOW.
    Yet in typical style he goes on about certainty at next weekend but stresses uncertainty mid week.
    It doesnt work like that and he knows it.
    He put a lazy and to be honest in my opinion mis leading end to his forecast.
    In forecasting ,you can't follow uncertainty with certainty like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

nifheorais wrote: »
    What part of Galway are you in?:confused:

Tuam. Has eased up a little. Remains dark to the west and clear to the east. Scrapes as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hartenm

I'm actually going to Cavan tomorrow - I hope there's lots of snow there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

he also said that rain, pushing up from the south on christmas eve, on making contact with the cold air could potentially fall as snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Here in north Sligo, the mountains look the part but whatever was on the ground is gone, grrr not brrr.

Ain't cold and see showers coming down across the bay in Donegal and a bit more inland.

Have to head off to Mayo now in a bit, hoping to see more on the ground there.

Want to get out to the hills we used to slide down when I was a kid with my two.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Sunny all day in Cork (Ballincollig) Temperature at 4.0c.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

roasting here now 2.8c this is no weather for snow its horrible everything is thawing two inches of crap!! hopefully these "blizzards" will come good tonight when should they start coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

fionnagus you got snow in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

but sure that's the way of things on this island. a week of wintry weather is rare for us.

at least if there is breakdown there could be heavy snow for parts of the country for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

still no snow in waterford, clear blue skies and a scorching 3 degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

but sure that's the way of things on this island. a week of wintry weather is rare for us.

at least if there is breakdown there could be heavy snow for parts of the country for a while.

you call this wintry weather.
    I have'nt seen anything remotely wintry yet and i dont expect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

nice snow shower in castlebar at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Has clouded up nicely with temp back down to 1.2c after a high of 2.8c. Dewpoint 0c. When it snowed it was at +1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

owenc wrote: »
    roasting here now 2.8c this is no weather for snow its horrible everything is thawing two inches of crap!! hopefully these "blizzards" will come good tonight when should they start coming?

They seem to be making painstakingly slow progress south, so id say hitting NI around 1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

nice layer of snow here in monaghan town and its snowing lightly again:D

They seem to be making painstakingly slow progress south, so id say hitting NI around 1600.

so temps should have time to drop down then?.... does this mean they will last longer over ni so we could get a larger coverign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

MUSEIST wrote: »
    you call this wintry weather.
    I have'nt seen anything remotely wintry yet and i dont expect too.

yes i call it wintry weather because some parts of the country have. you could see some snow after midweek if the mild weather is having trouble defeating the cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Nice bit of snow blowing around North Cork now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just watched a huge navy blue cloud dump over towards Glenties; is about to do the same here but may just side swipe us.

High drama.

Yes some little thaw also; that may well stop soon at darkfall? Shortest day tomorrow too.
    Pangea wrote: »
    Nothing special here in south donegal, place is still white ,but there has been a bit of a thaw, wheres this blizzard and winds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Update re roads etc..

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/road-conditions-still-treacherous-flight-delays-expected-439013.html

So glad I stayed home.. the Donegal - Ballyshannon road is infamous even in good weather..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

We are in line for blizzard galour low pressure spinning sw :D:D:D

viewimage.pbx?type=hiradar;file=radaraaltv4_1350;sess=bd0ab21e1459dd35e54781d792ba26ef

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

burkieboy wrote: »
    We are in line for blizzard galour low pressure spinning sw :D:D:D

viewimage.pbx?type=hiradar;file=radaraaltv4_1350;sess=bd0ab21e1459dd35e54781d792ba26ef

If that system to the north of Scotland could push an extra 100 miles south all of Ireland could probably have some fun, but i am interesting in the developments to the north of Ireland indeed, however models seem to suggest this wont get passed the border... excluding obviously the stuff affecting the coastal west.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just watched a huge navy blue cloud dump over towards Glenties; is about to do the same here but may just side swipe us.

High drama.

Yes some little thaw also; that may well stop soon at darkfall? Shortest day tomorrow too.

Its mad here. Was raining 10/15 minutes ago, now a thick snow shower! ??????????????

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I have found that RTE's forecasts have been rite on the mark over the past 2 weeks.

This cold snap in my view has been almost a non-event in most parts of eastern and southern Ireland and a total downgrade of what was originally expected from the FI charts nearly 2 weeks ago, the cold snap arrived 3 to 4 days later than originally thought, the siberian easterly 'blast' lasted about 2 hours only to deliver a few sleety showers on east coast just before it got cold enough to snow and then the winds changed to the north leaving us in dry conditons and then yesterday a weakened front push's south with rain and then 5 minutes of snow on the backedge and thats it for the east.

Temperatures overall have been low but not as low as what was originally expected. There have been no ice days and snow fall has been very marginal in most places that were lucky enough to see any form of preciptation.

RTE always remained cautious about the whole cold snap and they were right in doing so. They have been correct in forecasting this past week taking one day at a time to see what happens coz it was all so uncertain.

But not to worry its still only the start of winter, we have another 3 months to come where a good easterly will hopefully happen and deliver us what we want!

so were going to get a blizzard now lol doubt it what do you all expect to come here as for snow and accumulations.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Gonzo wrote: »
    I have found that RTE's forecasts have been rite on the mark over the past 2 weeks.

This cold snap in my view has been almost a non-event in most parts of eastern and southern Ireland and a total downgrade of what was originally expected from the FI charts nearly 2 weeks ago, the cold snap arrived 3 to 4 days later than originally thought, the siberian easterly 'blast' lasted about 2 hours only to deliver a few sleety showers on east coast just before it got cold enough to snow and then the winds changed to the north leaving us in dry conditons and then yesterday a weakened front push's south with rain and then 5 minutes of snow on the backedge and thats it for the east.

Temperatures overall have been low but not as low as what was originally expected. There have been no ice days and snow fall has been very marginal in most places that were lucky enough to see any form of preciptation.

RTE always remained cautious about the whole cold snap and they were right in doing so. They have been correct in forecasting this past week taking one day at a time to see what happens coz it was all so uncertain.

But not to worry its still only the start of winter, we have another 3 months to come where a good easterly will hopefully happen and deliver us what we want!

have to agree,they kept there head when the rest of us were loseing it :D
    bitterly disapointed that it didnt happen(the easterly's) but im hopefull that tonight that low is going to swing into our path's.
    anyway hopefully just the start of a winter to remember

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement