Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

He's not the England captain, he's a very naughty boy!!!

• 20-12-2009 11:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/647166/TERRYS-ALL-SOLD-John-Terry-in-secret-cash-scandal.html
    ENGLAND football captain John Terry is SELLING private access to himself and his club through hush-hush £10,000 cash deals.

The Chelsea skipper uses notorious ticket tout Tony Bruce as a fixer. On Thursday the pair took 200 £50 notes from News of the World investigators for a tour of the Premier League team's five-star training facility.

Terry, 29, said his share would go to a kids' charity but insisted we keep the deal secret, adding: "If the club finds out, it's a little bit. . ."

Terry took the secret £10,000 cash payment this week to lay on a behind-the-scenes tour of Chelsea's training ground.

He arranged the backstage visit for an undercover News of the World team WITHOUT permission from his club's boss Carlo Ancelotti.

And it was all fixed by middle-man Tony Bruce, 58 - a well-known ticket tout. Multi-millionaire Terry told our men he would give his £8,000 share of the fee to the Make A Wish charity that fixes treats for terminally ill children. The remaining £2,000 went to Bruce for his "cut."

The £160,000-a-week defender hosted our three reporters, posing as rich businessmen, for more than two hours at the state-of-the-art ground in Cobham, Surrey.

He gave them a full tour of the facilities and showed off star players Didier Drogba and Michael Ballack as they lounged in a Jacuzzi in their underpants.

And he laid on lunch in the canteen where the £10,000 in £50 notes was handed over to Bruce in a black folder as a smiling Terry looked on. Just yards away manager Ancelotti, 50, was also dining, without a clue about the huge sum of money changing hands nearby.

It was then the soccer star and the tout went to great pains to insist we keep all details of the pricey visit under our hats - for fear the club's management would find out and end Terry's private wheeler-dealing.

FIXER: Bruce yesterday in a Liverpool team jacket
    With a grin Terry whispered: "If the club finds out, it's a little bit. . . you know."

Sharp-suited Bruce - from Bromley, Kent - warned that if problems ever arose HE would take the rap and we must DENY Terry was involved.

He said: "If anything ever goes wrong, then you say, 'John didn't know nothing about that.'

"John just can turn round and say, 'Tony Bruce, he shouldn't be doing that.' He can deny it." Terry nodded his head and said: "Yeah."

Then Bruce mentioned the money. One of our men produced the cash in a black folder and said: "Yeah, I've got 10 grand here." Bruce said: "Right, give that to me." And Terry chipped in: "Give it to Tony."

A delighted Terry watched as the money was handed over. The whole deal was secretly videoed by our team and we are making it available to Chelsea and the Football Association.

Terry - worth £17million according to the Sunday Times Rich List - offered to lay on THREE more similar tours of the training ground over the next few weeks.

BALLACK: Seen in Jacuzzi
    Bruce said future visits would be fine provided we came up with "the readies". Terry told our team: "Yeah, we can sort that out." Terry then again impressed on us how it was important the arrangements were kept secret from anyone else at the club.

Told there would be more clients next week, Terry said: "Yeah, but you brief them that they don't speak to no one. Cos if anyone finds out, then we can't do it no more.

"If you sort of brief them before, we can do as many as. . . and go through Tony."

Bruce - a friend of Terry since he was a Chelsea trainee - then underlined his buddy's concern, repeating that the visits would need to be "very, very low profile". And Terry agreed: "Yeah."

Our revelations are sure to anger boss Ancelotti. He will be alarmed his captain is allowing strangers access to the club's inner sanctum behind his back for money. Terry even gave an insight into tactics as the team prepared for today's match against West Ham.

Thursday morning's ground visit was arranged after a two-month News of the World investigation into financial deals involving Terry. Bruce had already sorted us a £5,000 box at Wembley for an England under-21 match AND touted 11 tickets - which he bragged came from players - for Chelsea's crunch home game against Man United.

DROGBA: Hot tub & underpants
    Bruce originally asked £5,000 for a private meeting with the England skipper at Chelsea's Stamford Bridge ground - "as long as John's happy with the fees".

But when the venue was switched to the training ground the price doubled - because Terry wanted a "little bit more" for the privileged access.

We were already investigating Terry when a marketing firm to which he is linked sparked comment by sending out an email, featuring the FIFA World Cup logo, looking for commercial endorsements ahead of next year's finals.

Terry was not in breach of any rules and insisted the email had been sent without his knowledge. But senior figures at the FA were embarrassed because it made the England captain look "greedy".

And England boss Fabio Capello is said to be concerned that Terry is too money-orientated, particularly at a time when the Chelsea team he leads is leaking goals. The evening before our meeting Terry had skippered Chelsea in an unconvincing 2-1 win over bottom club Portsmouth.

When our men arrived at Cobham at 10.30am we were asked to sign in at the main entrance as guests of 'JT' before being led up to the players' dining area. Access to the ground is strictly controlled. And reporters have been known to need 48 hours' notice to gain admittance.

But our men were ushered through without any fuss. Terry, in a Chelsea training top, was buttering toast as he greeted us with warm handshakes. He smiled and said: "Help yourselves to breakfast. Do you want tea or coffee?" Thanked for sorting the trip out, Terry replied: "Yeah, no problem. Any time for Tony." At Terry's invitation we were then allowed to watch the Chelsea stars train for 90 minutes before joining him for lunch in the canteen and handing over the cash. Bruce said: "I'll have to give it to him discreetly."

Terry then sat with us, chatted about the World Cup and we discussed a proposed deal where he would be an ambassador for a fake private travel service. Terry indicated he may do the work but Bruce butted in, saying: "Because of obviously John being England captain, you gotta be careful who you deal with.

"If you got people out there with money to burn, I can definitely help with that. I'm that kind of guy, John, you know what I mean?" Bruce and Terry then laughed together.

After lunch, Terry gave us a 20-minute tour of the luxury facilities. He bragged: "It's good to see behind the scenes." He took us to an area where team-mates, including goalie Petr Cech, were playing table tennis and then past the Jacuzzi where Ballack and Drogba were half-naked in their underpants. Then Terry sought to impress his high-rolling guests by going into a massage room where a sparsely-clad Joe Cole was receiving treatment.

In the boot room we saw young apprentices cleaning the star players' boots.

Terry then gave us three Chelsea team shirts and signed each one. Joking about the money we were paying, Bruce quipped: "You putting your account details on there, aren't you, John?" The player just laughed.

As we left Bruce offered more visits to Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Tottenham, naming two high-profile figures who could help lay them on.

Ooops...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thats the armband gone anyways, he could end up at City yet.

I do detest that paper though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

It just shows - even with all the money he's earning ...he's still willing to help out his old schoolmates !!

in fairness - if other premiership players are doing it also - maybe these players should be named and shamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I imagine the release of the article in that rag will see Terry scurrying to make some donations to the named charity to cover his behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You've got to hand it to the British Media, they've successfully got every Manager since Robson sacked (bar Keegan who resigned in the jacks)

Now with Capello being actually decent, they've gone after the captain instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

If Terry the cute hoor fancies a career change then he should pony up to Fianna Fail, they truly are the masters in handing over undeclared cash in envelopes over the table in exchange for favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Kess73 wrote: »
    I imagine the release of the article in that rag will see Terry scurrying to make some donations to the named charity to cover his behind.
    Well if that happens at least some good came out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Lol. Terry is a machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Wow the British media are really maximising England's chances of winning the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Meh it's in the NOTW. Large parts of it are probably fabricated / exaggerated / taken out of context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I get the impression reading that, they could have easily gone with the headline;

"Hero Terry Risks Captains Armband at Club And Country To Raise Money For Charity"

Seriously if 80% of the money given is actually given on to Make A Wish, they're doing a lot better then a lot of official charities!

Hate the NotW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

He will just make a big, public donation to charity now to cover himself up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I get the impression reading that, they could have easily gone with the headline;

"Hero Terry Risks Captains Armband at Club And Country To Raise Money For Charity"

Seriously if 80% of the money given is actually given on to Make A Wish, they're doing a lot better then a lot of official charities!

Hate the NotW.
    Do you really think he's giving the money to charity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

tbh with you i am taking everything in that 'article' with a pinch of salt. I'll wait for some actually credible publications to pick up on it and do a bit of checking themselves as well as waiting for Chelsea and Terry's statement before i go damning him. I don't like Terry, but I frankly have a very hard timing taking anything written in the NotW as fact.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

tbh with you i am taking everything in that 'article' with a pinch of salt. I'll wait for some actually credible publications to pick up on it and do a bit of checking themselves as well as waiting for Chelsea and Terry's statement before i go damning him. I don't like Terry, but I frankly have a very hard timing taking anything written in the NotW as fact.

Agreed, you can't believe anything that they say, although it scans as mostly true, with their spin put on it. For instance
    He bragged: "It's good to see behind the scenes."

what the feck kind of 'brag' is that.

Either way, big fecking deal. He showed some people around for money, so what? He's a greedy footballer, wow, stop the presses. There is probably someone at Chelsea now setting up official versions, now that they know it is worth good money. Sounds like a pretty good tour actually, if a bit steep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'm another "Lets all hate John Terry" thread. :rolleyes:

It's NOTW ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

The NOTW seem to waging a campaign against Terry of late.

It does stink of, Capello can't be touched, who can be go for next.

Never understand the hatred for Terry. Good footballer, great leader. I would want my captain to fight tooth and nail with opposition and ref for decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

If the money is going to MAKE A WISH then fair play , why not ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What an idiot.

When will the England set up realise that anyone you've never met before offering lucrative opportunities or a decent wedge of money is generally going to be NOTW.

Top rate journalism - I love it. :D:D:D

Seriously though, when do you actually have enough money??? I'm always amazed that every time my dog sees food(mine or his), it treats it as if there's may never be another meal despite the fact that there's been a full bowl of dog food there every day of it's life.

I'm sure if he could speak, he'd say he was going to regurgitate it for Charity :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I hate tabloid newspapers.

NOTW made it seem like Terry was an evil mastermid. He was showing business-men around the training area for charity (questionable)...

I am actually expecting Ancelotti to come out and say "I dont really give a ****". Its the training area... There are hardly infultrating a secret base. They got to see Drogba in his underpants, not the tactics they will use in matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Hate the NotW.

I'd actually have absolutely no doubt that he did. Look at the adjectives they use in the text to describe Terry. They're clearly after him and if they had any belief that he pocketed the money or any chance he couldn't prove the donation I have no doubt they would have said it to paint him in a worse light. Instead they clearly couldn't so they make it clear from the article that you are to assume he did it. Gutter press

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I didn't read it because it's from the NOTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

CHD wrote: »
    I didn't read it because it's from the NOTW.

They did say they have given the video of the meeting to Chelsea and The premier league.. as has already been said the story scans as true.

It's not the first time unsavory stories about Terry have surfaced, One good thing from the story I imagine the make a wish foundation will get their money now that this has gone public, they do trojan work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hopefully this will lead to a defensive lapse today. I'm getting desperate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

The Muppet wrote: »
    They did say they have given the video of the meeting to Chelsea and The premier league.. as has already been said the story scans as true.

It's not the first time unsavory stories about Terry have surfaced, One good thing from the story I imagine the make a wish foundation will get their money now that this has gone public, they do trojan work.
    If the charity benefits it's a good thing. Terry can be like Robin Hood. He is unbelieveably thick though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Seriously, why would anyone care about this? What exactly has he done wrong? I can see why Chelsea might have an issue with him doing this as behind the scenes tours would by a source of revenue for most clubs, but other than that who gives a fcuk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Terry comes from a family of wheeler dealers to be honest. Stories about his father being a drug dealer and mother caught shop lifting have been reported over the past few months.

Wreck wrote: »
    Seriously, why would anyone care about this? What exactly has he done wrong? I can see why Chelsea might have an issue with him doing this as behind the scenes tours would by a source of revenue for most clubs, but other than that who gives a fcuk?

It's against the law to take money under false pretenses, particulaly low if using a charity as cover, of course peeople should care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's against the law to take money under false pretenses, particulaly low if using a charity as cover, of course peeople should care.

Do you have proof he's done this? Do NOTW have proof he isn't giving it to Charity? How is he taking money under false pretenses? He's offering a tour of chelsea for £10,000. Reading the article it seems the lads got their tour so please explain how he is taking money under false pretenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's against the law to take money under false pretenses, particulaly low if using a charity as cover, of course people should care.

pretty low alright

• Advertisement

what law are you on about? pure rubbish. Besides the money was taken to get a tour and meet the players. The NOTW got exactly what they paid for, even according to their story the charity mention was an on the day thing, they didn't think they were giving money to charity.

The way that article is written, if they had any real reason to believe the money didn't go to charity they would be all over it.

Lol, there is no evidence that any law whatsoever has been broken here, although there are obviously tax implications for both Terry and Bruce. If Terry is not giving his share to charity than it's very low on his part to say he is, but again there is no reason to believe he is not giving it to charity. £8k is pocket change to him, 5% of his weekly salary outside of any advertising and promotional revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

If it was a politician everyone would be delighted with the paper for exposing it. NOTW are snakes but sometimes it's no harm. I'd like to see what Terry's response is. Charity or not what he's doing is wrong. Is he that stuck for cash making schemes that he has to do this?

lol, can't believe people are actually trying to defend him. He's pocketing 8k by giving tours behind his club's back. Anyone who seriously thinks he's giving that money to charity needs to take their head out of their arse.

If Terry is such a humanitarian then why is he doing it behind his clubs back? Better yet why not just give money to charity himself?

lol, can't believe people are actually trying to defend him. He's pocketing 8k by giving tours behind his club's back. Anyone who seriously thinks he's giving that money to charity needs to take their head out of their arse.

If Terry is such a humanitarian then why is he doing it behind his clubs back? Better yet why not just give money to charity himself?

I'm not defending him, just can't see why anyone except the club would care. He quite probably isn't even breaking any club rules, let alone any law.

As for donations to charity, I'd be pretty surprised if Terry doesn't donate far more than 8K over the course of a year. He obviously isn't giving tours all the time or someone at the club would have noticed.

Wreck wrote: »
    I'm not defending him, just can't see why anyone except the club would care. He quite probably isn't even breaking any club rules, let alone any law.
    Then why do it in secret?

• Advertisement

lol, can't believe people are actually trying to defend him. He's pocketing 8k by giving tours behind his club's back.

even if he is, so bloody what. what exactly is the major problem with it? oh noes poor chelsea football club.

I've absolutely no time for Terry, but this outrage for no apparent reason except a tabloid telling you to be outraged is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm more concerned with him giving 2k to the fucking tout, horrible people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I can't believe there are people pathetic enough out there who actually give a toss. Hardly surprising it seems to be 3 United fans though who are trying to lead the pitch fork rabble rabble crowd, says it all. He could spend the £8,000 however he likes, the issues has nothing to do with if he gives it to charity or not. However the NOTW has provided no evidence to doubt Terrys word. He can set fire to £8,000 worth of food in front of starving african kids if he wants. He provided a tour around his teams facilities for a fee, it seems this isn't allowed by Chelsea which is fair enough, but the way some people are going on you'd swear he'd found guilty of kidnapping Madelain McCann.

I'd love to hear why offering tours around the ground is such a bad thing?

I can't believe there are people pathetic enough out there who actually give a toss. Hardly surprising it seems to be 3 United fans though who are trying to lead the pitch fork rabble rabble crowd, says it all. He could spend the £8,000 however he likes, the issues has nothing to do with if he gives it to charity or not. However the NOTW has provided no evidence to doubt Terrys word. He can set fire to £8,000 worth of food in front of starving african kids if he wants. He provided a tour around his teams facilities for a fee, it seems this isn't allowed by Chelsea which is fair enough, but the way some people are going on you'd swear he'd found guilty of kidnapping Madelain McCann.

Lol, no one said it's as bad as kidnapping a child but theres a very good chance what he's doing is illegal seeing as he's having to be so secretive about it. If there's no big deal about what he's doing then why is he asking that it all be kept hush hush and his name kept out of it?

Stop kidding yourself. He's not a rapist or murderer or a kidnapper but he's acting like a bit of a scumbag in all fairness, call a spade a spade.

Offering tours is grand. I have no problem with it.

Accepting a brown envelope for it in secret and saying it's for charity, along with allowing a tout to pocket 2k because of it is bad form. Not very captain like and an all round shítty and unprofessional thing to do for something earning probably 150k a week.

• Advertisement

deisedevil wrote: »
    Lol, no one said it's as bad as kidnapping a child but theres a very good chance what he's doing is illegal seeing as he's having to be so secretive about it. If there's no big deal about what he's doing then why is he asking that it all be kept hush hush and his name kept out of it?.

oh ffs, are you kidding? I don't know what you are up to at the moment, very secretive you are, you must be doing something illegal.

The reason he wanted it kept hush hush, is that the tabloid press have a campaign going against him. you know, like the way they targetted him for the story?

I'd be willing to give good odds that any player offered 10k to give a tour would have done the same thing.

copacetic wrote: »
    The reason he wanted it kept hush hush, is that the tabloid press have a campaign going against him. you know, like the way they targetted him for the story?

LOL ,Yeah , they would have slaughtered him if they found out he was raising cash for the make a wish foundation.

Some of you guys are so funny.

LOL ,Yeah , they would have slaughtered him if they found out he was raising cash for the make a wish foundation.

Some of you guys are so funny.

Maybe we are, the rest of you who buy a NOTW story hook, line and sinker probably would headline our joint stand up night though.

oh ffs, are you kidding? I don't know what you are up to at the moment, very secretive you are, you must be doing something illegal.

I'd be willing to give good odds that any player offered 10k to give a tour would have done the same thing.

Lol. Himself and the ticket tout are raising money for charity then and don't want the NOTW to find out because that would be bad publicity. LMFAO! There's so many ways he could be raising money for charity without getting himself in any trouble. Stop kidding yourself! Seriously now, you have to think theres something dodgy about it, you can't possibly think theres nothing wrong in it?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Maybe we are, the rest of you who buy a NOTW story hook, line and sinker probably would headline our joint stand up night though.

Which of my posts indicate to you that I have baught the story, hook line and sinker?

And I'd be willing to give good odds that they would be doing so illegally and shouldn't go ahead with it. It doesn't matter that it's Terry doing it, I'd say the same no matter who was doing it!

Which of my posts indicate to you that I have baught the story, hook line and sinker?

I'll start with your first one if that's okay.

deisedevil wrote: »
    And I'd be willing to give good odds that they would be doing so illegally and shouldn't go ahead with it. It doesn't matter that it's Terry doing it, I'd say the same no matter who was doing it!

do you actually understand what illegal means?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Originally Posted by The Muppet viewpost.gif

I'll start with your first one if that's okay.

The story does scan as true imo, the paper would be a bit stupid to mention video evidence if none existed. If thats swallowing the story hook line and sinker so be it, you know best eh.

do you actually understand what illegal means?
    Not paying tax is illegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement